Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Addressing our OLine...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titans2004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Addressing our OLine... Reply with quote

We've got a major lack of OT depth assuming that Miller and Matthews are gone for 2005 and I can't see Hoppy playing for more than 2 yrs. That means we need 3 OTs in the next 2 yrs. In this yrs draft it looks like Brown and Barron are the studs with a large group of guys below them. We need a starter in 2005 for RT and will have a need in a few yrs to fill Hoppy's spot. I'd like to see us trade down for a few more draft picks then take either Brown or Barron in the 1st. Both of them have experience at RT and could be possible LTs. We then pick up an experienced OT from the waiver wires after cuts. I just can't see us going into a season with only 1 experienced OT. The OT draft class of 2006 looks to be stacked with Ferguson, McNeil, Whitworth, Winston, and Justice all of whom had they come out this yr would have been slotted in the late 1st to 2nd rnd positions (besides Ferguson who would have gone top 10). So 2006 looks like a good time to pick up another OT.

We all know that Mac is going to retire soon. It might even happen this yr. This biggest thing you can do for a young QB is to give him protection and a solid running game. By solidifying the OLINE in the next 2 yrs, we will make it much easier on Mac successor. Just look at what happened to Eli this yr. compared to Big Ben. Eli got killed in the pocket while Big Ben had a bunch of time and wasn't asked to make the big plays very often. Ask David Carr if he liked getting sacked 50 times his rookie yr. The rookies who do well have good Olines that give them the extra time they need.

Up grading the OLINE might prolong Mac's career too.

I know it isn't fun taking an OLINE in rnd 1, but when you have ignored it for so long and haven't developed anyone to take over as the starter then your hand is forced to draft a starter and I'd feel alot more confident knowing our QB was being protected by a 1st rnd stud rather than a 3rd rnd quality player. By trading down and getting some extra picks we could trade back into the late 1st and get another difference maker at a skilled position.

What are your thoughts on how we should address the Oline problem???
Titansfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i agree with you that we need to solidify the O-line but taking a 1st round pick is very risky. I think we need a defensive playmaker on our 1st round pick.

While our O-line rush blocking is very good the Pass blocking is pretty poor as we could tell by the injuries to McNair then the shoulder injury to Billy Volek in the latter stages of the season.
Titans2004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 2 are mutually exclusive.

If DJ is available at #6 then we have to jump on him and then go OT in the 2nd. The more I look at the draft board the less i think he will be available. Once agian the playoffs are showing that Defense wins championships and their is no doubt he is the top defensive player on the board. Plus we have 2 new coaches picking in front of us who are both defensive co-ordinators (assuming Crennel gets the Browns job) and I wouldn't be surprised if they put their stamp on their new team by getting a playmaking LB.

Besides DJ the only other defensive playmakers I would consider are one of the stud corners or possibly Thomas Davis at safety. I just don't see us going DL in the 1st.

We could trade down to the early teens and pick up our OT then trade back into the first if we needed to to get our shutdown corner in the late first. or if the run on CBs doesn't happen like i think it will then one will fall to us in the 2nd rnd.
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for the Titans to move either Bell or Pillar to RT. Amano will battle it out with Hartwig for the center spot, or Amano could take a G spot if Benji is traded. We will draft a tackle in the first 4 rounds, and we'll probably sign a vet FA at T. Look for our line to be something like this.

Hopkins Pillar Amano/Hartwig Olson Bell

Anyway we basically know the starter unless we draft Barron or Brown.
titans#1fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell would be better on the Right tackle spot. Pillar is too stiff. And has never played right tackle, Bell has before in college. Amono wont battle hartwig at all. Hes just a back-up.
Burton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Hartwig will definetly start.
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amano is huge and powerful. He won the award for the best Div.2 O-lineman. Don't be surprised if you see him overtake Hartwig. I do like Hartwig though.
Titans2004

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't think you can count on Bell starting at RT only 7 mos removed from ACL surgery. I think that is very risky.

I'm not a huge fan of Hartwig. I think he gets pushed around especially when somebody is put on his nose. Depending on how we fel about Amano it wouldn't surprise me if we took a center in this draft considering that Hartwig is going to be an unrestricted FA next yr. Of course we might feel that amano is our guy, but I would be surprised if hartwig is with the team in 2006 especially given our cap issues.

I would not have been surprised at all if we tried to trade Olson or Pillar for draft picks mid-way through the season, but with Bell's injury I think it makes it more remote.
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What could we get for Benji or Pillar? A third at most right? I don't see the advantage of trading them unless it's on draft day and we have a chance to grab someone good that's slipped.

You're right about Bell he may have to miss the first 2-3 games of the season, but it's hard to know at this point. I agree on Hartwig he gets shoved around sometime and we could definately use his cap space. I do believe they're high on Amano and will give him a chance. I don't think we'll draft a C unless Vince CArter falls to the late third or fourth.
titans#1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The center from North Carolina is a beast. Way better than Vince Carter. And the center from NC is prolly the strongest player in the draft.
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's his name? I'm not sure i've ever heard of him.
titans#1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Brown is his name. Go to nfldraftcountdown.com
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He sounds extremely powerful, but doesn't have any agility.
titans#1fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a center. Big and Powerful.
We dont usually pull a center its usually Olsen or Pillar.
seminoles1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Titans should let both Hopkins and Miller go. Then draft Barron with the 6th pick and get Ray Willis, another FSU tackle, in the 3rd or 4th round. He is so underrated its ridiculous. If they got both FSU guys then it would be good for the Titans because the Tackles would be good friends and would keep each other encouraged. If you want to know more about Willis, then look at the rankings here at footballsfuture, he is the #10 Tackle prospect, or go to www.nfldraftcountdown.com where he is the #6 tackle prospect. I think he could fall because he can't play LT in the pros, so him in the 4th would be a steal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: