You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I'm not the only one right?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midniterc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:
It's worth keeping in mind that some of this will change based on free agency. We can try to project rounds (1st round: DE; 2nd round: OT; 3rd round: CB; etc.) to our heart's content right now, but we all know the Redskins will be filling at least one of these positions with a guy on the FA market.

Obviously we can still speculate, and I like to speculate with the best of them, but it IS worth keeping in mind that the draft doesn't function within a vacuum; some things will be changing between now and then, and I fully expect a few of the needs we're talking about right now to be long-forgotten issues by the team we get on the clock on Draft Saturday.

Yes, the draft talk is putting the cart before the horse. But it's fun to speculate even if we all know that these opinions will change with free agency and the combines.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I apparently haven't been shouting loud enough!

Seriously though, at the bare minimum, the first two rounds must be devoted to getting a player on each side of the line. I would prefer all three Day One picks to do this, but I can understand maybe going SLB in round 3 if the right candidate is there (sorry, turtle28, I wouldn't want to go Schmitt there if he were available ... I think it would be too much of a stretch).

I do like the idea of trading back to stock more picks in rounds 2 and 3 (or 4, or next year). If we had more than just our base three picks, then I think we could seriously entertain picks at a lot more positions.

I think woz and I have been shouting the loudest about this. I believe I've been complaining since week 3 about our Oline and the need for good young stud OG's and OT's.

We need a stud on both sides of the line by Day two but I'm also agreeing here that we should address all of our Day One picks on the lines.

Of course this changes in free agency but this is predicated on not getting anyone in FA.

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
rizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as i love campbell i don't think hell be there when we pick so maybe we sign a de and low price safety to compete with doughty you all can say what you want but doughty (i hold my breath everytime they throw deep) can not be our only option, then draft bpa or an olineman in the first 2 rounds
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
(sorry, turtle28, I wouldn't want to go Schmitt there if he were available ... I think it would be too much of a stretch).

I do like the idea of trading back to stock more picks in rounds 2 and 3 (or 4, or next year). If we had more than just our base three picks, then I think we could seriously entertain picks at a lot more positions.

I totally agree with you Woz, I don't want to take Scmidt in the second or 3rd...if he's going to go that high, then I wouldn't draft him...If he was available in the 5th though....it would be hard not to pick him up.

You are totally right, we need to take BPA on either side of the line, in both the first and second rounds, wether that be a OT, OG, DT or DE. I just think BPA for any spot would do.

I love the idea of trading back, especially this year, because where we are drafting at the end of the first round is kind of an area where all the talent seems to be bunched up together. I would think that a team that really needs a player or maybe wants one of the QB's if they fall, would want to trade up to our spot. Then we could get a couple of more draft picks.

I mean lets face it you could throw all of the DE's with the exception of the top 3 and all the OL with the exception of the top 3 in a hat and pull it out and basically get the same player. So why not trade down and get another 2nd, a 3rd and something in next years draft.

That would be ideal for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:
It's worth keeping in mind that some of this will change based on free agency. We can try to project rounds (1st round: DE; 2nd round: OT; 3rd round: CB; etc.) to our heart's content right now, but we all know the Redskins will be filling at least one of these positions with a guy on the FA market.

Obviously we can still speculate, and I like to speculate with the best of them, but it IS worth keeping in mind that the draft doesn't function within a vacuum; some things will be changing between now and then, and I fully expect a few of the needs we're talking about right now to be long-forgotten issues by the team we get on the clock on Draft Saturday.

C'mon e16bball, random speculation is what its all about! Very Happy

Seriously, though, I think the only position the Redskins might consider via free agency is defensive end. I suspect they expect Jansen to come back and play up to his level. Even if they don't think this will happen, will they shell out the BIG bucks for a Jordan Gross (assuming he hits the market) and have his cap number up there with Samuels and Jansen's?

Likewise, they do have three solid corners; will they spend the big bucks to get the starter quality they supposedly need, ignoring what they have? I suppose they could go the tier two route (Drayton Florence, Randall Gay), but is that an improvement?

Defensive end, however, is a position where they could plug someone in right away as they don't have a solid run-stopper on the left side of the line. The question becomes who do they shoot for? Justin Smith would be my target, if they are going to go this route.

However, I would be just as happy with them signing our own guys to cap-friendly contracts, maybe picking up a role player or two (NOT via restricted free agency), and sit back and wait for the draft.
noptov52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping the 'Skins can nab Bryant Johnson in FA and take the need for a larger WR off the draft board. He's been a solid #3 WR for the Cards the last couple of years and I think he still has some upside. Plus, he shouldn't be overly expensive.

With that taken care of, our pre draft speculations could narrow a bit further Razz
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noptov52 wrote:
I'm hoping the 'Skins can nab Bryant Johnson in FA and take the need for a larger WR off the draft board. He's been a solid #3 WR for the Cards the last couple of years and I think he still has some upside. Plus, he shouldn't be overly expensive.

With that taken care of, our pre draft speculations could narrow a bit further Razz

Totall agree with you, if the price is right we should def pick him up od DJ Hackett. But i'm not playing either of them like they are going to be a #1 WR, because I don't think they are worh that kind of $.

Anyone know anything about Jerry Porter in OAK, is he going to be a FA this season or is he under contract...i've always liked him and he'd be a great compliment to Moss/Randel El...porter is 6'2 200lbs. He'd be nice as well as the other guys.

We should def sign a DL, wether it be a guy inside or preferably a DE that can stop the run and get us 5-10 sacks that would be what I want.

Then a Safety, as someone else said we need to someone to compete with Doughty, I hope Doughty wins out the competition but a veteran would be nice to have here, that could be a starter as well...in other words someone better than Fox/Stoutmire/Prileau

then obviously an OL or 2 for depth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: