Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where Are They Now: Redux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
It took 15 seasons for Baltimore Ravens center Matt Birk to win his first Super Bowl. Apparently he intends on going out a champion. According to the Baltimore Sun, Birk is set to announce his retirement on Friday.

Birk spent his first 11 seasons in the league with the Minnesota Vikings before signing with Baltimore in 2009. Birk has started 187 games over 15 seasons. Birk has been named to the Pro Bowl six times and a two-time All-Pro.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/22/report-ravens-center-matt-birk-set-to-retire-friday/

Shouldn't come as a surprise. I'm sure his wife wants more help at home with all those kids. Laughing

I imagine he'll be in the Vikings Ring of Honor within the next 5-6 years.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Harvard alum in the NFL, Matt Birk was used to doing things a little bit differently than most professional football players. So it was that his retirement press conference took place at Baltimore’ Battle Grove Elementary School with 40 fifth-graders asking questions and the press standing in the back of the room. Birk, the 2011 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year, is establishing a community reading center for students and their families at the school.

Birk: “The reason that I wanted to do it here today was because I have enjoyed playing football, but as much as playing, I have enjoyed giving back to the community as an NFL player. When I was a rookie … There are 53 guys on a team. I was like the 53rd guy. I was the worst player on the team, but I was on the team. That’s all that mattered. I went out and did a visit my first week with the Vikings. I went to a school, and all the kids were going crazy. They didn’t really know who I was. They just knew that I played for the Vikings, and I thought, ‘Wow. This is unbelievable.’ Like I said, this has been a big part of my career, and what I’ve enjoyed doing is coming to schools over the years and really being with young people like you guys. I get a lot of energy — get a lot of positive energy — from you guys and really enjoy it. I just thought that this would be a fitting place to do it.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/22/matt-birk-makes-retirement-official/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
So it was that his retirement press conference took place at Baltimore’ Battle Grove Elementary School with 40 fifth-graders asking questions and the press standing in the back of the room.

That's AWESOME!
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Iowa’s new running backs coach and special teams coordinator will be Chris White, who joins the Hawkeyes’ coaching staff after spending the past four years in the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings working with special teams.

“I am very excited to have Chris join our staff,” said Kirk Ferentz in a statement. “Chris has considerable special teams, offensive, and recruiting experience from college and professional football to offer our program.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/22/iowa-hires-new-rb-coach/

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why hasn't former Vikings coach Brad Childress been hired by the Chiefs even though Andy Reid wants him there?

From Dan Pompei of the National Football Post: "Childress still has not been fired as offensive coordinator of the Browns. But he isn't working for them, either. Seems to be just a matter of time. Perhaps a little byplay between Browns CEO Joe Banner and Reid is at work."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/192640191.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ravens don't expect a new deal with left tackle Bryant McKinnie before the start of free agency, according to league sources.

McKinnie, who has had a rocky tenure with the team but who has also excelled at key times, is a free agent. Baltimore's offense soared, and quarterback Joe Flacco played the best football of his career after McKinnie was put back at left tackle late in the season, with Michael Oher moving to the right side.

Left tackle is a big question for the Ravens, though the draft is deep there, and it remains to be seen what the market for McKinnie will look like. If it's soft a return to Baltimore at a modest rate could be possible.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/21779750/ravens-dont-expect-new-deal-with-mckinney-before-free-agency

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s unknown where the career of the self-styled greatest receiver to ever play the game will continue. But it apparently won’t be in San Francisco.

Per a league source, the Niners were making it clear at the Scouting Combine that they intend to steer clear of Randy Moss in 2013.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/02/niners-making-it-clear-moss-wont-be-back/

Webmaster wrote:
D-Hemi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Why hasn't former Vikings coach Brad Childress been hired by the Chiefs even though Andy Reid wants him there?

From Dan Pompei of the National Football Post: "Childress still has not been fired as offensive coordinator of the Browns. But he isn't working for them, either. Seems to be just a matter of time. Perhaps a little byplay between Browns CEO Joe Banner and Reid is at work."

Is it me or is Childress the master of getting paid for not being apart of a team.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Hemi wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Is it me or is Childress the master of getting paid for not being apart of a team.

I'll admit, he might not be much of a head coach, but the dude knows how to get paid for doing absolutely nothing. Its impressive. Laughing

Childress would go to Kansas City as the offensive coordinator, or more so as an assistant?

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
disaacs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Childress would go to Kansas City as the offensive coordinator, or more so as an assistant?

They have an OC in former Favre backup Doug Pedersen. Childress would only be a consultant.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FA T Bryant McKinnie was just asked on NFL Network if he'd give the Ravens a hometown discount.

"I did that last year" was his his response.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Hutchinson is hanging up his cleats.

http://twitter.com/JayGlazer/statuses/311298577597087745
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Hutchinson was such a great player for us. I always respected him, even though it seemed clear his days were coming to an end.

I hope he enjoys retirement and can live a good life. He's been in this league a long time. I'd hate to see his body fail him by the time he's 50.

Thankyou for all your services Steve Hutchinson!

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mitch Berger was a punter, holder and kickoff man for the Vikings, making him quite versatile. He was here from 1996-2001, then kicked around for several other teams until 2009.

...we have it on good authority, as pointed out by reader Erica, that Berger will be appearing tonight on Bravo's "The Millionaire Matchmaker."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/197439171.html

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Quote:
Mitch Berger was a punter, holder and kickoff man for the Vikings, making him quite versatile. He was here from 1996-2001, then kicked around for several other teams until 2009.

...we have it on good authority, as pointed out by reader Erica, that Berger will be appearing tonight on Bravo's "The Millionaire Matchmaker."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/197439171.html

Not afraid to admit that I used to watch that show.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 61 of 101

Jump to: