Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where Are They Now: Redux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73313
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
George Shaw was the starter.

who originally was a #1 draft pick by the Colts.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73313
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since72 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
Cowboys announced the hiring of Scott Linehan as the team's passing game coordinator.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

What will they come up with next? Gatorade Bucket Coordinator? Challenge Flag Coordinator? Kick Holder Coordinator?

Jerry Jones is such a bad GM/owner/executive.

i think he's even beginning to realize it.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 22567
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an ideal case of where there are going to be too many cooks in the kitchen...not only do you have Linehan and Callahan and Garrett as "offensive minds", on defense they'll have both Marinelli and Kiffin.

My comments from earlier stand...if it weren't for the joke operations run by the Browns and Dolphins, the Cowboys would be considered the most incompetent football organization in the NFL.
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73313
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Del Rio said at Wednesday’s media availability that he hasn’t spent time wondering how much interest there was in his coaching services and that he feels confident that he’ll get another shot as a head coach in the future.

Del Rio: “I feel like for me, I’m really blessed to be part of an organization that is playing for the world championship. There certainly are opportunities each and every year, and at some point it will match up with what somebody’s looking for and what I offer. In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy the heck out of my opportunity here to fight and find a way to win a world championship. I’m not going to spend a lot of time wondering if there was a lot of talk, a little talk or those types of things.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73313
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heath Farwell: "We came so close in '09 and came up so short. Myself, Tarvaris Jackson, Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, even though he's on injured reserve, and Darrell Bevell were all on that team. So when we beat San Francisco this year, yeah, I think it was a little extra special for us considering how tough that loss in '09 was. I think we all wondered then if we'd ever get another opportunity and here we are. Living the dream. I never expected any of this. I guess that's the beauty of it and why I enjoy it so much. I can't describe how unbelievable this feels."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/242617481.html
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Krauser


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1889
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Seifert revisits Percy Harvin's injury history: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/114981/inside-slant-welcome-back-to-percyworld

I've bolded the parts that were news to me, as one of the more dedicated chroniclers of Harvin's medical history.

Quote:
Harvin's genius, intentional or otherwise, is to create enough doubt about the origin of his issues to ward off permanent damage to his career. The Seahawks thought enough of him to offer a six-year, $67 million deal last spring, and by all accounts they will play him heavily Sunday after a season derailed by a hip injury and concussion. Strange things happen around Percy Harvin, often during less-essential times of the NFL calendar. But like the child whose fluttering eyes convey innocence, it's never clear whether Harvin is actively at fault or simply the unfortunate victim in a string of unpredictable maladies.

The examples are endless, beginning days after the Vikings drafted him in April 2009. When he failed to show the following weekend for rookie minicamp, coach Brad Childress relayed a detailed story about Harvin's collapse in the Atlanta airport while making a connecting flight. Two months later, Harvin departed the NFL's rookie symposium with what was described as an illness, and as we found out during his rookie season with the Vikings, he was afflicted regularly and without warning by migraines.

Harvin missed 15 days of the Vikings' 2010 training camp because of his grandmother's death followed by what he told team officials was a migraine episode. In his first practice upon returning, a glance into the bright sky while fielding a punt triggered migraine symptoms. He soon collapsed, was briefly unresponsive, and was taken from the field in an ambulance.

He spent the night in the hospital, missed one practice and was back on the field two days later. Speaking to reporters a few weeks later, he blamed the collapse on medication he had since abandoned and said he believed his migraines were caused by sleep apnea.

[Note from me: his migraines came back after his sleep apnea was treated and then resolved the next off season, when he made some changes to his diet and had some unspecified treatment on his neck. They apparently haven't recurred since, despite his concussion in the playoff game this year.]

The drama continued in Minnesota, from a practice altercation with Childress to a minicamp walkout to his departure from the team following the 2012 sprained ankle. Recently, he revealed he had an appendectomy in November 2012 [this was reported at the time, people thought the surgery he mentioned was on his ankle but it was an appy] a tumor removed in the offseason. And then, before his career in Seattle really started, Harvin reported hip soreness that led to surgery and ultimately a lost season [excellent, neutral description of the events here, there's no evidence he "injured" his hip] -- at least what would have been for most other players.

Taken individually, these episodes might qualify Harvin as merely injury prone or perhaps a typical NFL diva. Viewed collectively, they define a career of unrealized promise and either inexplicable fortune or devious maneuvering, depending upon your proclivity toward conspiracy theories.

There was a time when I wondered if Harvin viewed himself as the NFL's Allen Iverson, a big-timer who answered the bell for games but had little interest in the monotony of everyday life in football. By my count, he has missed two full training camps and part of a third. He has played in seven of a possible 20 preseason games, has sat out at least two offseason camps and more practices than anyone can accurately calculate.

For all of his ailments, Harvin missed only three games in his first three seasons before the Vikings faced the Seahawks on Nov. 4, 2012. The team was in the midst of a 2-5 stretch and Harvin let loose with a verbal sideline tirade against coach Leslie Frazier. His left ankle sprain, suffered a few minutes later, was his final play in a Vikings uniform.

It was never entirely clear why a sprained ankle sidelined Harvin for more than two months, but then again nothing is ever clear -- to anyone else -- in PercyWorld. Regardless, it's quite possible that Harvin will play more Sunday than he has in the 15 months since that injury (33 snaps). Which makes perfect sense, as long as you're talking about Percy Harvin.


For those keeping track, Harvin missed 8.5 games in 2012 (leaving soon after halftime in the 9th game of the year, and missing the wildcard game), then played 33 snaps over a possible 22 games (4 preseason, 16 regular season, 2 playoffs) in 2013-14 so far.

Fascinating stuff. I wouldn't bet against him for SBMVP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73313
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fred Smoot Love Boat Part 2 is a real thing. We repeat: a real thing. Per the D.C. Sports Bog, which referenced the infamous first Love Boat in 2005 when Smoot was with the Vikings:

Obviously it was not, in fact, a charity event. But one thing led to another, and now some folks and Smoot are actually trying to make a Love Boat-inspired charity cruise happen, to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project. The Fred Smoot Love Boat Part 2, it’s called, and while organizers are promising “a wholesome good time,” they’re also pointing out that if it happens, you’d get “three hours on a boat with Fred Smoot and other former/current NFL players.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/242614311.html
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sector7G


Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 284
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cris Carter on the Colbert Report.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432646/january-29-2014/cris-carter

fixed
_________________


Last edited by Sector7G on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 24363
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
Chris Carter on the Colbert Report.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432646/january-29-2014/cris-carter

Shuuuuuuuuun!

Shuuuuun the non-speller!

Laughing

Thanks for posting that.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6638
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Shuuuuuuuuun!

Shuuuuun the non-speller!

Laughing

Thanks for posting that.


That always bugged me during his playing days when someone would misspell his name. Keep in mind, I had just turned 15 when he played his last game in purple.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sector7G


Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 284
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Sector7G wrote:
Chris Carter on the Colbert Report.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432646/january-29-2014/cris-carter

Shuuuuuuuuun!

Shuuuuun the non-speller!

Laughing

Thanks for posting that.


Thank you for pointing that out.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boda


Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 781
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
Kevin Seifert revisits Percy Harvin's injury history: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/114981/inside-slant-welcome-back-to-percyworld

I've bolded the parts that were news to me, as one of the more dedicated chroniclers of Harvin's medical history.

Quote:
Harvin's genius, intentional or otherwise, is to create enough doubt about the origin of his issues to ward off permanent damage to his career. The Seahawks thought enough of him to offer a six-year, $67 million deal last spring, and by all accounts they will play him heavily Sunday after a season derailed by a hip injury and concussion. Strange things happen around Percy Harvin, often during less-essential times of the NFL calendar. But like the child whose fluttering eyes convey innocence, it's never clear whether Harvin is actively at fault or simply the unfortunate victim in a string of unpredictable maladies.

The examples are endless, beginning days after the Vikings drafted him in April 2009. When he failed to show the following weekend for rookie minicamp, coach Brad Childress relayed a detailed story about Harvin's collapse in the Atlanta airport while making a connecting flight. Two months later, Harvin departed the NFL's rookie symposium with what was described as an illness, and as we found out during his rookie season with the Vikings, he was afflicted regularly and without warning by migraines.

Harvin missed 15 days of the Vikings' 2010 training camp because of his grandmother's death followed by what he told team officials was a migraine episode. In his first practice upon returning, a glance into the bright sky while fielding a punt triggered migraine symptoms. He soon collapsed, was briefly unresponsive, and was taken from the field in an ambulance.

He spent the night in the hospital, missed one practice and was back on the field two days later. Speaking to reporters a few weeks later, he blamed the collapse on medication he had since abandoned and said he believed his migraines were caused by sleep apnea.

[Note from me: his migraines came back after his sleep apnea was treated and then resolved the next off season, when he made some changes to his diet and had some unspecified treatment on his neck. They apparently haven't recurred since, despite his concussion in the playoff game this year.]

The drama continued in Minnesota, from a practice altercation with Childress to a minicamp walkout to his departure from the team following the 2012 sprained ankle. Recently, he revealed he had an appendectomy in November 2012 [this was reported at the time, people thought the surgery he mentioned was on his ankle but it was an appy] a tumor removed in the offseason. And then, before his career in Seattle really started, Harvin reported hip soreness that led to surgery and ultimately a lost season [excellent, neutral description of the events here, there's no evidence he "injured" his hip] -- at least what would have been for most other players.

Taken individually, these episodes might qualify Harvin as merely injury prone or perhaps a typical NFL diva. Viewed collectively, they define a career of unrealized promise and either inexplicable fortune or devious maneuvering, depending upon your proclivity toward conspiracy theories.

There was a time when I wondered if Harvin viewed himself as the NFL's Allen Iverson, a big-timer who answered the bell for games but had little interest in the monotony of everyday life in football. By my count, he has missed two full training camps and part of a third. He has played in seven of a possible 20 preseason games, has sat out at least two offseason camps and more practices than anyone can accurately calculate.

For all of his ailments, Harvin missed only three games in his first three seasons before the Vikings faced the Seahawks on Nov. 4, 2012. The team was in the midst of a 2-5 stretch and Harvin let loose with a verbal sideline tirade against coach Leslie Frazier. His left ankle sprain, suffered a few minutes later, was his final play in a Vikings uniform.

It was never entirely clear why a sprained ankle sidelined Harvin for more than two months, but then again nothing is ever clear -- to anyone else -- in PercyWorld. Regardless, it's quite possible that Harvin will play more Sunday than he has in the 15 months since that injury (33 snaps). Which makes perfect sense, as long as you're talking about Percy Harvin.


For those keeping track, Harvin missed 8.5 games in 2012 (leaving soon after halftime in the 9th game of the year, and missing the wildcard game), then played 33 snaps over a possible 22 games (4 preseason, 16 regular season, 2 playoffs) in 2013-14 so far.

Fascinating stuff. I wouldn't bet against him for SBMVP.

I remember all of those things except him having a tumor removed. Never heard that before now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SodakViking


Joined: 02 Oct 2011
Posts: 1609
Location: 605
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow, Joe Woods is now employed by the Raiders as a secondary coach.
_________________


yankee0724 wrote:

Kevin Hart is to comedy what Brady Quinn is to the NFL QB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3561
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SodakViking wrote:
Somehow, Joe Woods is now employed by the Raiders as a secondary coach.


The rich just keep getting richer...
_________________

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47776
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like Cris Carter should just keep his mouth shut. Laughing

Ive always found it amusing when retired players get into it with active players. Granted, its Carter's job to be an analyst, I dont see the point in getting into it with active players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323470/article/doug-baldwin-cris-carter-can-google-super-bowl-ring

Quote:
"My man that said that we were appetizers, right, he told me to Google him." Baldwin said on Fox Sports 1. "And I did that. I saw that he was a Hall of Famer, which like I said, I respect what he did on the football field.

"But I also saw two conference championship appearances, none of which he won," Baldwin went on. "And I didn't see any Super Bowl appearances. All that stuff came to me in Google, and I would love for him to come to me ... I would love to show him the Super Bowl ring. If he doesn't want to come and see it personally, tell him he can Google it."

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 97 of 101

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group