You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

porter?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucsfreak97

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: porter? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if any one here has heard any rumors about porter going else where?
TheNextStep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucsfreak - what Porter has said is that he'd prefer to stay in Oakland and that he'd give Oakland every chance to bring him back... but he also stated that he was going to see what his options are.

One thing that you've got going against you as far as Porter is concerned is the fact that Jerry Porter freakin' hated playing for Jon Gruden. He was pretty vocal about it while Gruden was coaching in Oakland and became even more vocal about it after Gruden left.

That said, yes, he will hit the free agent market so, if you guys make him an offer, I'm sure his agent would look at it.
JamesT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheNextStep wrote:
Bucsfreak - what Porter has said is that he'd prefer to stay in Oakland and that he'd give Oakland every chance to bring him back... but he also stated that he was going to see what his options are.

One thing that you've got going against you as far as Porter is concerned is the fact that Jerry Porter freakin' hated playing for Jon Gruden. He was pretty vocal about it while Gruden was coaching in Oakland and became even more vocal about it after Gruden left.

That said, yes, he will hit the free agent market so, if you guys make him an offer, I'm sure his agent would look at it.

Good point about the Gruden factor but I would not worry about him going there. Somebody is going to throw big money at him and it is going to be interesting to see what Al does. Being a raiders fan is tough because I am of the opinion Al needs to step down. How much worse can this franchise be right now? After watching that Sapp interview it was very apparent that he was pissed that he made the decision to come to Oakland. Nobody on this team gives a damn about winning. They have so many holes I dont know where to begin. They have a QB who one game throws for 5 TD's and the next turns it over 5 times. I think they need to give Tui a chance and I think last year when the season was over in week 8 they should have benched Collins and at least seen what Tui can do. Turner has to go as well. They need help at RB, QB,WR, DL, LB, DB's. what else is there?
SteelerCntry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I am a Steelers fan, so not sure of the exact details of Porter's situation in Oakland, but if he is a UFA, what about a double sign and trade with Pittsburgh for Burress. They both get out and into possibly better situations and each team gets what they want. Burress would be your big play WR, and Porter would fit well into our system. What do you all think?
JamesT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelerCntry wrote:
Hey, I am a Steelers fan, so not sure of the exact details of Porter's situation in Oakland, but if he is a UFA, what about a double sign and trade with Pittsburgh for Burress. They both get out and into possibly better situations and each team gets what they want. Burress would be your big play WR, and Porter would fit well into our system. What do you all think?

Very interesting trade but the issue is they could not make that trade due to Burress's status right? I like Jerry Porter a lot and let's face it Burress isnt the most reliable WR. I saw him drop multiple balls in the playoffs alone this year.
TheNextStep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelerCntry wrote:

Again, a sign and trade would not happen. The teams would not allow it to happen, nor would the players. This isn't the NBA.

Let's say that the Raiders sign Porter to a 5 year deal with a 10 million dollar signing bonus and 500K per year. Let's also say that the Steelers sign Plaxico to the exact same contract.

As we know, the signing bonus is pro-rated over the life of the deal. 10 million divided by 5 years equals a pro-rated signing bonus of 2 million dollars per year. Pro-rated signing bonus plus annual salary equals salary cap cost per year.

Based on the contracts laid out above:
Raiders salary cap cost in 2005/2006 for Porter = $2,500,000.
Steelers salary cap cost in 2005/2006 for Burress = $2,500,000.

Now, lets say that after signing the contracts, the two teams trade the receivers, okay? Because the players are traded, each team loses the right to pro-rate the signing bonuses and that amount is accelerated into the 2005/2006 salary cap.

So...
Raiders salary cap cost in 2005/2006 for a Porter/Burress sign-and-trade = $10,500,000.
Steelers salary cap cost in 2005/2006 for a Porter/Burress sign-and-trade = $10,500,000.

Each team would have a 10 million dollar cap hit on the accelerated bonus and would also still be responsible for paying their new player's annual salary.

That's why the teams wouldn't allow it to happen. In order for the team to allow it to happen, the player would have to agree to a very low signing bonus so that the accelerated bonus amount would not result in a crippling cap number.

The reason the player would never, ever do that is because the signing bonus is the ONLY part of their contract that guaranteed money. The whole goal of any player that enters free agency is to receive the largest signing bonus possible... because the day he signs the contract, that money goes directly into his bank account.

There will be no sign-and-trades. Not with the Raiders. Not with the Steelers. Not with anybody.
SteelerCntry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. I just read a post that linked to a website called AsktheCommish.com, which explained in detail the cap philosophy and rules. I was unaware of the signing bonus rule. I guess the real question is, in what way could both teams assure that they would get each player. Essentially how could the teams get Porter to go to the Steelers and Burress to the Raiders?
TheNextStep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truthfully, there are pretty much only two ways to make absolutely certain that happens:

Raiders franchise Porter; Steelers franchise Burress... they trade franchised players. The problem there is that you franchise a guy and he starts getting paid the average of the top 5 salaried players at his position in the league. Considering the contracts that guys like Moss, Harrison, and Owens have signed in the not-so-distant past, I don't think that either team would go for something like that.

The only other way (and the most likely of all scenarios) goes like this:
Pittsburgh outbids everyone else in free agency for Porter's services.
Oakland outbids everyone else in free agency for Burress' services.

That said, given the choice between Porter and Burress, I'd just as soon the Raiders held on to Jerry.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: