Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What's the Verdict on Kiko?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
billzz


Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 12869
Location: '09 Bills Forum HOF
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: What's the Verdict on Kiko? Reply with quote



The Legend of Kiko was one of the highlights of my Bills fandom as sad as that is.. (I started watching in '98) anyways.. just curious as to if he did enough this year to warrant him being resigned?

I'd love to see him play for a different team, but I'm glad he found his niche, after the failed experiment in Philadelphia.

Do you want to resign him? is he a key member of the team? just curious as to if he is the young stud he once was in Buffalo, a quiet leader who made every tackle, or has he changed his style?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MDolphins2399


Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 1068
Location: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With out thinking very much about it, I'd be quite upset if we didn't resign Kiko. He's definitely been worth the trade even if we didn't get maxwell.
_________________
2016 Adopt-a-Dolphin: Kiko Alonso
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daryl


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 679
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely he is by far our best LB. He Isn't a true Mike in my opinion but he makes plays and can run. I really like his game
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cddolphin


Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 11359
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a restricted free agent, which means the Dolphins have the ability to give him a 2nd round tender, which in turn means he'll sign a 1-year contract for roughly $2.5 million.

Sets him up for a big contract year in 2017.
_________________
huzzah
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green4gulf


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 2822
Location: The Treasure Coast
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see our FO get ahead of the game and extend Kiko for a 3 year deal with the fourth year being low garauntee but high bonus incentive.

I think Kiko is a guy we can build off of and create a LB corp that can diagnose plays quickly and flow.

Kiko appears to fit into the South FL community well and reportedly likes the location. I expect to see him in a Dolphins uniform for 3 more seasons barring injury.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ericsvibe


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 1126
Location: East Helena, MT
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
I would like to see our FO get ahead of the game and extend Kiko for a 3 year deal with the fourth year being low garauntee but high bonus incentive.

I think Kiko is a guy we can build off of and create a LB corp that can diagnose plays quickly and flow.

Kiko appears to fit into the South FL community well and reportedly likes the location. I expect to see him in a Dolphins uniform for 3 more seasons barring injury.


The Phins have to spend their salary cap money. Besides Stills, who will get around 8 mil a season, they don't have many big name free agents to spend the cash on. Because of this, I expect Kiko to get a two year deal that matches what Misi signed a couple of year ago. I think it was 4.5 mil a season average. This spends some money, keeps Kiko happy, and gives him something to play for. If he matches his out put or improves, he could be in line for a nice payday two seasons from now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheKillerNacho


Moderator
Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 14281
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to extend him. He is by far our best linebacker and has a nose for the ball.. he seems to always get in the middle of the play and most importantly actually knows how to tackle. He is a liability in coverage though and has gotten abused covering TEs this season.

Overall he's a player I'd like to see extended.
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Dolphinemidget


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 4183
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like him, at age 26, a 3 year deal sounds really good. But I think it will be another 1 year deal and then if he produces in 2017 he is in for a big deal.

The guy is a beast in the making. 67 tackles, 43 asst, 4 Pass Deflects, 2 INT one of which was returned for TD and won vs the Chargers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IzpSBGvaWU a play that has us where we are today.

He also put a heck of a hit on Colin Knealaprik and helped win that game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDs-W3Zy-70

I think he is a difference maker and I want to see in South Beach for many years.
_________________


Adopt a Phins 2016 #1 pick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13879
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiko will be restricted and earn about 2.5M. No need to resign him. I am OK with giving him an extension as long as it takes into account his injury history. Make no mistake, Kiko would get more than 4.5M a season on the open market. He has been outstanding. And will only get better as long as he stays healthy. I am guessing he would get 6 or 7M a year on the open market. The thing is he won't be on the open market. We have him locked up for another year. In that year he could get hurt and never see another dime other than the 2.5M. So it's in his best interest to take a five year deal with maybe 10M gtd. Something like...

Bonus: 5M
Year 1: 1M (2M Cap)
Year 2: 3M (4M Cap)
Year 3: 4M (5M Cap) only 1M gtd
Year 4: 5M (6M Cap) no gtd money
Year 5: 6M (7M Cap) no gtd money

That's really more of a 2 year 10M contract that could turn into a 3 year 13M contract easily. And if the guy is still healthy and playing at this level, then Miami can keep him around for a couple more years without breaking the bank. It's less than he would get on the open market, but Miami has the leverage. It would actually lower his cap number slightly in year one. And for Kiko it gets him 6M in year one and a guarantee that is 4 times what the tender is.

The other option would be to give him the second round tender and see what other teams offer him. They will likely lower their number with the understanding that it would cost them a 2nd round pick. And if it's too much, then at least we got a second rounder out of it. If no one makes him an offer, then we have him on a cheap one year deal to see if he can stay healthy for 2 full seasons before making a commitment.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ericsvibe


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 1126
Location: East Helena, MT
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Kiko will be restricted and earn about 2.5M. No need to resign him. I am OK with giving him an extension as long as it takes into account his injury history. Make no mistake, Kiko would get more than 4.5M a season on the open market. He has been outstanding. And will only get better as long as he stays healthy. I am guessing he would get 6 or 7M a year on the open market. The thing is he won't be on the open market. We have him locked up for another year. In that year he could get hurt and never see another dime other than the 2.5M. So it's in his best interest to take a five year deal with maybe 10M gtd. Something like...

Bonus: 5M
Year 1: 1M (2M Cap)
Year 2: 3M (4M Cap)
Year 3: 4M (5M Cap) only 1M gtd
Year 4: 5M (6M Cap) no gtd money
Year 5: 6M (7M Cap) no gtd money

That's really more of a 2 year 10M contract that could turn into a 3 year 13M contract easily. And if the guy is still healthy and playing at this level, then Miami can keep him around for a couple more years without breaking the bank. It's less than he would get on the open market, but Miami has the leverage. It would actually lower his cap number slightly in year one. And for Kiko it gets him 6M in year one and a guarantee that is 4 times what the tender is.

The other option would be to give him the second round tender and see what other teams offer him. They will likely lower their number with the understanding that it would cost them a 2nd round pick. And if it's too much, then at least we got a second rounder out of it. If no one makes him an offer, then we have him on a cheap one year deal to see if he can stay healthy for 2 full seasons before making a commitment.


My only problem with this is we have 27 mil we have to spend in free agency. We shouldn't carry over more than 10. So lets say we resign Stills for 8.5 next year. That leaves us with 18.5 remaining. We resign Sims for 4 leaving 14.5. So unless we have some big name we are chasing, we have 4.5 on the books and still can carry over 10 mil.

I say we give that to Kiko, unless like I said we sign a big name free agent. There isn't really a need to pinch pennies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cddolphin


Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 11359
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsvibe wrote:
I say we give that to Kiko, unless like I said we sign a big name free agent. There isn't really a need to pinch pennies.


There are a few contributors who will earn a few million here and there which will add up. Andre Branch. Michael Thomas. Jason Jones.

It might be prudent to keep Kiko cheap in 2017, then if he continues the track he's on re-sign him in 2018 when players like Wake, Maxwell, and Albert will likely come off the books.
_________________
huzzah
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13879
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really should be carrying over 10M a year anyways. I would also like to sign a LB and probably an OG. And we probably should still draft one of each. No matter what, it's always prudent to sign guys for what they are worth. The attitude of, "we have all this money so we might as well spend it' is how teams get in cap trouble.

I'm also seeing 44.4M being available to Miami next year after rolling over 14.4M. Mario Williams will probably have to take a pay cut to stay a Phin too. Koa Misi as well. Those two alone could save us about 12M more. Earl Mitchell is in the same boat. Not worth 4M. I would like to see us go after a guy like Dontarie Poe. Dion Jordan could save us 3.2M. Definitely not worth that money. We could easily end up with over 60M in cap space after cuts.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ericsvibe


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 1126
Location: East Helena, MT
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
We really should be carrying over 10M a year anyways. I would also like to sign a LB and probably an OG. And we probably should still draft one of each. No matter what, it's always prudent to sign guys for what they are worth. The attitude of, "we have all this money so we might as well spend it' is how teams get in cap trouble.

I'm also seeing 44.4M being available to Miami next year after rolling over 14.4M. Mario Williams will probably have to take a pay cut to stay a Phin too. Koa Misi as well. Those two alone could save us about 12M more. Earl Mitchell is in the same boat. Not worth 4M. I would like to see us go after a guy like Dontarie Poe. Dion Jordan could save us 3.2M. Definitely not worth that money. We could easily end up with over 60M in cap space after cuts.


The big question is going to hinge on what they do with Albert. There could be a significant amount of money available in free agency, I just don't think that he Phins are going to be able to land one of the top free agent LB's, or OG's. The LB I would like the most is Donta Hightower, but I can guarantee it will be a cold day before the Patriots let him defect to the Dolphins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13879
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsvibe wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
We really should be carrying over 10M a year anyways. I would also like to sign a LB and probably an OG. And we probably should still draft one of each. No matter what, it's always prudent to sign guys for what they are worth. The attitude of, "we have all this money so we might as well spend it' is how teams get in cap trouble.

I'm also seeing 44.4M being available to Miami next year after rolling over 14.4M. Mario Williams will probably have to take a pay cut to stay a Phin too. Koa Misi as well. Those two alone could save us about 12M more. Earl Mitchell is in the same boat. Not worth 4M. I would like to see us go after a guy like Dontarie Poe. Dion Jordan could save us 3.2M. Definitely not worth that money. We could easily end up with over 60M in cap space after cuts.


The big question is going to hinge on what they do with Albert. There could be a significant amount of money available in free agency, I just don't think that he Phins are going to be able to land one of the top free agent LB's, or OG's. The LB I would like the most is Donta Hightower, but I can guarantee it will be a cold day before the Patriots let him defect to the Dolphins.


The Patriots are a team that won't payu players more than they are worth and they know that players play better under Bellychick. Hightower could go somewhere else and be very average. There are tons of solid OG prospects that might hit free agency. I think we will sign the RG of our future. And I think we will keep Albert. That gives us our starting line. We should keep Steen and Young. That gives us 7 guys to hold on the 53 man roster. But I would still like to draft an OG/C in the middle rounds to compete. Somebody that could eventually be a starter at LG or OC depending on which direction we need to go in the following years.

What we really need more than anything is a stud DE. Preferably in round 1. We need a seam threat at TE, and lots of linebackers. If we could get a RG and one solid starting caliber OLB/ILB in free agency and resign Steen, Sims, Stills, Branch, Denney, Gray, and Thomas, then I think we can approach the top threee rounds of the draft to attack OLB, TE, and DE, Then graqb a developmental OG/C and QB in the middle rounds.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group