Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DE Prospects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When should the Eagle's look to draft a DE?
Day 1 (rounds 1 and 2)
61%
 61%  [ 13 ]
Mid-rounds (3-5)
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Late rounds (6 and 7)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
They don't need to draft one
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Depends on if a top prospect should fall
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

CandylandBills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the 3-4 OLB prospects, like Gholston and Groves (I actually don't see Selvie switching), everyone called Trent Cole a 3-4 OLB and he has seem to manage well in a 4-3 DE. I think there is a bigger difference between a 3-4 DE and 4-3 DE. The main difference between these two is the 3-4 DE is much more of space eater and is just there to take up blocks (players like Campbell and T. Jackson are actually better 3-4 DE than 4-3 DE), while a 4-3 DE has to be much more active and force pressure--which is essentially what 3-4 OLB are suppose to do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we get or don't get in Free Agency will determine who we draft mainly on the 1st day. It would be nice if we could sign 2 of the 4 players. J.Babinuex , Randal Gay , B.J. Sams, or Justin Smith.
DE is a definite need but our secondary is in dire straits as well. When "healthy" there among the elite but when has that actually been the case. We need a strong Nickle Corner who could step in if need be as a #2 CB if someone gets hurt and we need to draft a safety to replace Dawkins or if Mikel moves over, for his spot then.
Chris Long will be just that Long gone by the time we pick. Campbell might be there but probably not. Other then those two we should wait until later rounds and have the FO find the next Trent Cole, Burgess, "Abirimiri" ??, ect...like they usually do.
Keep everyone except W.James,Howard, L.J.,Mahe
Trade our 2nd, Jason Avant and a future 5-6th rder for CHAD JOHNSON. the way things are going he'll want out much like Randy Moss did in Minn.. New Coach cleans house!!
Sign Justin Smith DE from Cincy who won't franchise him there's your DE!!!
"If" we have enough cap room to sign a Randal Gay/ B.J. Sams as your 3rd CB/returner that would be sweet if not draft one.
Select the top rated Safety/CB on the board with our 1st pick!!!
The Big "TE" I think from TEXAS.A&M Martellius Bennett...(hope I didn't murder his name)in the 3rd Laughing
and go from there.
that would fill 3 of our biggest needs and probably the 4th with L.J. leaving!!

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 5 Gm/ 25 Rec/ 429 Yds/ 4 TD/ 17.2 YPC/
RayFinkle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should sign Justin Smith. He is the most reasonable free agent we can go after. We haven't been shy about giving dollars to older d ends in free agency with much less upside. Smith is only 27 and would be killer against the run and teamed with Cole could get after the qb. Then we could use our first rounder on a more pressing player like wide reciever or safety, especially since no wrs or safetys are free agents.
phillyphanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayFinkle wrote:
I think we should sign Justin Smith. He is the most reasonable free agent we can go after. We haven't been shy about giving dollars to older d ends in free agency with much less upside. Smith is only 27 and would be killer against the run and teamed with Cole could get after the qb. Then we could use our first rounder on a more pressing player like wide reciever or safety, especially since no wrs or safetys are free agents.
Agreed. He would bring us the work-ethic, a non-stop motor, intangables, and everything inbetween. However, being a Cavalier fan I would love to see Chris Long in midnight green.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillyphanatic wrote:
RayFinkle wrote:
Agreed. He would bring us the work-ethic, a non-stop motor, intangables, and everything inbetween. However, being a Cavalier fan I would love to see Chris Long in midnight green.

We're cutting two big money DE's. We have two under 30. They play DE. It'd be a very Eaglesy thing to do to go get both.

At the least, given past signings (read: Howard and Kearse) I think Smith is a good bet.

"If you've got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt statistics."
Eagles27

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Smith.

He's a very good 2 way DE but I really want to see a dominant pass rusher at LE and I don't know if he brings that. I wouldn't pass on him though.

#JDI
Broad Street Bullies

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i guess everyone thinks abiamiri is a career backup?
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broad Street Bullies wrote:
so i guess everyone thinks abiamiri is a career backup?

Not necessarily a career back up but right now not as good as Justin Smith. Besides we have a rotation to were it really doesn't matter who the starter is, just the recognition of being the starter only!!!

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 5 Gm/ 25 Rec/ 429 Yds/ 4 TD/ 17.2 YPC/
stevec0008

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rounds 3-5, sence we've had solid luck there in recent years.
Unless Long or Campbell falls to where we can trade up.(3-6 spots ahead of us)

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye out for Kendall Langford of Hampton.

He's 6-6, 294. He's a monster off the edge and has pretty good speed for his tremendous size *5.00 forty yard dash.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
BatCountry!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of both Derrick Harvey and Chris Long. At this point I don't think we'll be drafting low enough to get a crack at them, but they would be an ideal fit for us at DE. If we don't go DB in the first, I say we must take advantage of this really deep DE class. We could grab a top 15 talent late in the first round, so if guys like Malcolm Jenkins, Kenny Phillips, or even Reggie Smith aren't available in the first, I say we go with the best DE available.

Like the CB, LB, and OT classes, this DE draft class has a ton of size, speed and ability. It's definately my favorite DE class out of the last 4 years.

^^^ McNabbNo5

Sapere aude!
Birds_I_View

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer in building a defense around the DEs. Getting another DE to pair with Trent Cole would be an enormous step forward in rebuilding the defense (which we've already begun to do). Everyone knows what pressure does (we saw it last night) to an offense... get the guys who can flat out create chaos.

Chris Long (Virginia) remains the best DE in this draft, in my opinion. I'll be shocked if he's not a top 7 pick (expecting top 5). Right behind him I have Chris Ellis (Va. Tech) and Lawrence Jackson (USC) later first round/early second round selections. A guy who I've really liked the past few years is Tommy Blake -- in fact, at the start of the season, I had him rated as the #2 DE (behind Long). However, this has been a very mysterious season for him, as he's been out a few times for "personal reasons" that were later disclosed to be medical. I don't know what the deal is with that exactly, but the situation is cause for concern. As far as talent goes, Blake's up there with the elite DEs in the nation. I'm still very high on him and think whoever gets him will have themselves one hell of a football player. A guy I absolutely love right now is Wallace Gilberry of Alabama -- he's really blossomed this year and broken out in a big way. Jesus Christ, what a force. His 40 time (4.93) might make people think he can't get after the QB, but that is not the case. The dude has been an absolute beast this season. He might be in my top 3 by the time the draft rolls around. Just look at his eye-popping stats:

69 TT, 22 TFL, 9 SK, 2 FF, 12 QBH

Now, I have what I imagine is an unknown player to most of you pretty high on my current DE rankings: Jason Jones, Eastern Michigan. He's 6-5, 260, and runs a 4.73 (according to nfldraftscout.com, a source I believe is among the best out there for draft information), and his stock has been steadily rising for quite some time now. While he only has 4 sacks so far this season, he set an EMU record with 18.5 tackles for loss (breaking his own record by .5 TFL). The dude just gets after people and blows up plays in the backfield with regularity, and, as you can see, has great size and speed for the position. I haven't had a chance to catch any EMU games this season (are they even ever on TV?), nor have I been able to get any film, so I can't give a complete report on Jones. However, his size, speed, stats, and consistency are all encouraging signs.

I'll get more in depth on prospects as time passes and I compile my draft report.

A few possible sleepers:

Craig Mester - Miami (OH): 6-5, 260; DOB: 12/27/84; 4.65
Trevor Scott - Buffalo: 6-5, 255; DOB: 8/30/84; 4.62
Brian Johnston - Gardner-Webb: 6-6, 280; DOB: ?; 4.84
Eric Bakhtiari - San Diego: 6-3, 260; DOB: 12/2/84; 4.83

Also, Louis Holmes of Arizona has completely fallen off the map and still clearly has A LOT to learn about the game, but he's an intriguing player because of his size (6-6, 265) and speed (best 40 time: 4.74). The skills are there, but does he have the mettle?
BatCountry!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birds_I_View wrote:
I'm a firm believer in building a defense around the DEs. Getting another DE to pair with Trent Cole would be an enormous step forward in rebuilding the defense (which we've already begun to do). Everyone knows what pressure does (we saw it last night) to an offense... get the guys who can flat out create chaos.

Chris Long (Virginia) remains the best DE in this draft, in my opinion. I'll be shocked if he's not a top 7 pick (expecting top 5). Right behind him I have Chris Ellis (Va. Tech) and Lawrence Jackson (USC) later first round/early second round selections. A guy who I've really liked the past few years is Tommy Blake -- in fact, at the start of the season, I had him rated as the #2 DE (behind Long). However, this has been a very mysterious season for him, as he's been out a few times for "personal reasons" that were later disclosed to be medical. I don't know what the deal is with that exactly, but the situation is cause for concern. As far as talent goes, Blake's up there with the elite DEs in the nation. I'm still very high on him and think whoever gets him will have themselves one hell of a football player. A guy I absolutely love right now is Wallace Gilberry of Alabama -- he's really blossomed this year and broken out in a big way. Jesus Christ, what a force. His 40 time (4.93) might make people think he can't get after the QB, but that is not the case. The dude has been an absolute beast this season. He might be in my top 3 by the time the draft rolls around. Just look at his eye-popping stats:

69 TT, 22 TFL, 9 SK, 2 FF, 12 QBH

Now, I have what I imagine is an unknown player to most of you pretty high on my current DE rankings: Jason Jones, Eastern Michigan. He's 6-5, 260, and runs a 4.73 (according to nfldraftscout.com, a source I believe is among the best out there for draft information), and his stock has been steadily rising for quite some time now. While he only has 4 sacks so far this season, he set an EMU record with 18.5 tackles for loss (breaking his own record by .5 TFL). The dude just gets after people and blows up plays in the backfield with regularity, and, as you can see, has great size and speed for the position. I haven't had a chance to catch any EMU games this season (are they even ever on TV?), nor have I been able to get any film, so I can't give a complete report on Jones. However, his size, speed, stats, and consistency are all encouraging signs.

I'll get more in depth on prospects as time passes and I compile my draft report.

A few possible sleepers:

Craig Mester - Miami (OH): 6-5, 260; DOB: 12/27/84; 4.65
Trevor Scott - Buffalo: 6-5, 255; DOB: 8/30/84; 4.62
Brian Johnston - Gardner-Webb: 6-6, 280; DOB: ?; 4.84
Eric Bakhtiari - San Diego: 6-3, 260; DOB: 12/2/84; 4.83

Also, Louis Holmes of Arizona has completely fallen off the map and still clearly has A LOT to learn about the game, but he's an intriguing player because of his size (6-6, 265) and speed (best 40 time: 4.74). The skills are there, but does he have the mettle?

I actually made a post in LSUSAINT and Boyz's draft preview about Jones a couple of weeks ago. Very Happy I completely agree, he is an underrated prospect. His size is incredible, and he's played well vs. top competition (3 TFL, 1 sack, and blocked kick vs. Michigan). He's huge and is a very strong guy, but he plays kind of stiff, and I think he should bulk up and play 3-4 DE. He would be great playing in a scheme like that. Kind of reminds me of a stronger version of Chris Canty.

Being down south, I've seen Alabama play several times, and I also agree with you about Gilberry. He's been a real leader for that defense and has surprised a lot of people with his production this year. Everyone knew he was a good player, but he's been playing lights out in a tough conference. Like I've said, this DE class is full of size and talent, and we could grab a great player anywhere within the first 3 rounds.

I'm not too familiar with the 4 sleepers you mentioned, what are you opinions on those guys? Would any of them be a good fit for JJ's scheme?

Any team that can create pressure with just 3 or 4 players can be dominant on defense. DEs are an integral part of that. I'm in your boat - if we cement an excellent core of young DEs, this defense will be great for years to come.

^^^ McNabbNo5

Sapere aude!
yeah876

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coles the RE and Abiamiri and Thomas can rotate on the other side. spend it on a mid-round prospect like Bruce Davis from UCLA. Personally,after watching the New Engalnd game, you cant have enough quality corners; Talib from Kansas would be nice and will be there in the early 20s, where the birds will be picking. BTW- we dont need a LB, the birds are 7th in rush defense in the NFL and coverage on TEs has been expedentially better.
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah876 wrote:
Coles the RE and Abiamiri and Thomas can rotate on the other side. spend it on a mid-round prospect like Bruce Davis from UCLA. Personally,after watching the New Engalnd game, you cant have enough quality corners; Talib from Kansas would be nice and will be there in the early 20s, where the birds will be picking. BTW- we dont need a LB, the birds are 7th in rush defense in the NFL and coverage on TEs has been expedentially better.

Talib is a zone corner. As a man corner I would be generp=ous calling him terrible. Adarius Bowman put up over 300 yds last season on him, Jordy Nelson put up 150 on him, the list goes on as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: