Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A few questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Jester

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: A few questions Reply with quote

Some thoughts and questions that don't deserve their own threads:

1. Denver's Aaron Hunt (DT) and Tyson Clabo (OT) were both chosen All-NFL Europe League first team. (I thought Hunt was an end and Clabo was a guard!?)

2. Darrent Williams is working hard and looking good at CB. He seems to have high expectations for himself. I didn't expect him to be anything more than a return guy, so this is promising. Think he'll get any time at CB this season?

3. Luther Elliss has lost 20 pounds and has worked more on stretching and conditioning. Will he be healthy and effective this year in the DT rotation? If he and Warren are in, who's out?

4. Not hearing much about Clarett. Is this good or bad? You'd think that if he's looking good, we'd be hearing about it. Or is no news good news?

5. What do you think of Shanahan moving the three-day mini-camp from May to July? (I don't think any other team does this.)

6. Mike Anderson is listed number one on the depth chart (according to Bell). Think he'll start game one?

7. Will Cecil Sapp make the team as a fullback? (If he doesn't, I'll bet he catches on somewhere else in the league pretty quickly.)

8. B.J. Johnson was a great college WR. But he wasn't drafted and is rarely mentioned as a possible option in Denver. Other than the injury, what's the problem? Can/Will this kid play in the NFL?

9. Will/Should Bailey play offense this year?

10. The backup QB position seems to be wide open. Who will it be?
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post. Here's what I have to say.

1] I was under the impression you were, however -- if it's working for them there, maybe that's where they should play here.

2] Why wouldn't he be a CB? He dominated in college and was a threat to take it to to the house every time he returned or picked off the ball. (5 out of his 11 interceptions were for TD's) So he's around 5'9 -- big deal? Remember a guy named Aaron Glenn? If Jeff Shoate and Roc Alexander can get time at CB, of course he will. It might take some time, but yes -- he will play cornerback.

3] If he's healthy, we'll have Warren, Elliss, Fatefehi, Pope, Myers, Davis and Aaron Hunt (if he makes the team) at DT. As of right now we have Pryce, Brown, Coleman, Ekuban, Palepoi and Raylee Johnson at DE. Most teams have around nine defensive lineman on the team anyways. This is how I see our roster on the defensive line for next year.

Left End: Trevor Pryce, Ebeneezer Ekuban, Anton Palepoi
Left Tackle: Luther Elliss, Mario Fatefehi, Mike Myers
Right Tackle: Gerrard Warren, Monsanto Pope
Right End: Courtney Brown, [Rotate Ekuban or Palepoi]

That's who I think will make the final cut. I believe that Coleman and Johnson, (because of age) are easily cut. I think that Hunt makes the practice squad and would make the team if one of these guys are injured. Dorsett Davis has been nothing but dissapointing, he'll be gone as well.

This is just what I think.

4] Actually, people are more than impressed with Clarett down in Dove Valley. He's working very, very hard and is really impressing the coaches. Do you watch Broncos TV on there website? He's been mentioned on NFL Network and ESPN and I usually hear something about him atleast once a week.

5] I think it gives the rookies more time to prepare and understand the playbook. It also gives them a chance to be with their new team-mates. With the little practices in between now and then, it also gives the coaches a feel for what to expect before mini-camp begins.

6] No, Mike Anderson won't start game one. I think that's ridiculous. Tatum finally started looking like a solid back at the end of the year and I'm not sure how Mike is dealing with that groin injury. Mike just wants to play RB because he's a little *bleep* when it comes to him playing FB. I expect the depth to go in this order: Bell, Anderson, Clarett and Dayne.

7] Yes, Cecil Sapp will make the team as fullback. He will be behind Kyle Johnson.

8] To be honest with you, anyone outside Smith, Lelie, Watts and Rice are hardly mentioned at receiver. I still think Triandos Luke can be a good receiver if given the chance. In all honesty, if we carry five receivers, the fifth will be between Johnson and Luke. Can he play in the NFL, sure he can -- he just needs to work harder and impress the coaches. I think after suffering the injury last year, that hurt his chances for his time here in Denver.

If you also noticed, Nate Jackson was moved to TE. He's almost 240 pounds now. This should be a good move, a hybrid TE like Putzier. This gives me the feeling that we moved him to TE to make room for Rice and another young receiver on our squad. I'm not sure how this plays into the TE scenario though. Are we going to carry... Putzier, Jackson, Hape, Leach, Alexander, Duke?

I think Putzier is a given and Jackson has hands of glue, so I don't see why he wouldn't. Hape seemed to be a good move around the Red Zone last year, but with the addition of Alexander, I think it's hard for him to have a place. What about Leach as our LS? Wesley Duke has the same coach who made Gates who he is today, so if htis kid impresses the coaches enough, will he make the squad?

It's very rare to have that many TE's on the roster. We'll keep three for sure, but probably four. It's been stated we're looking at running a lot of double TE sets this year.

9] Will he? Possibly. Should he? Yeah, because he'd be a great decoy if he even stepped onto the field. I don't think people realize how much of an asset he'd be on offense if he was just ON THE FIELD. I think his presence alone could give us some big plays or chances at first downs.

10] Should be Matt Mauck, the coaches seem to like him, but I don't know if he understands the playbook as well as Kanell. At the very least, Mauck will be on the PS.

Anyways, good talk. Feel free to fire back.

Yeah, awesome cool! Denver Broncos rock the world!
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to that, I wouldn't be surprised if Ekuban started at LE and Pryce was moved to RE to start. If you check the picture I posted in another thread, you'll see how much Pryce has slimmed down. It doesn't look like he's at 290, it looks like he's in the 270's with solid muscle. I could be wrong, but it's just a thought. We have a real versatile line this year, with the size of most players, there is no doubt we're a 4-3 team. Our ends just aren't big enough for the 3-4.

Wait, here's the picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/AlWilsonOwnsU/24074832.jpg

Yeah, awesome cool! Denver Broncos rock the world!
broncos_fan _from _uk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Are we going to carry... Putzier, Jackson, Hape, Leach, Alexander, Duke?

with our drafting of chris meyers i think we finally let the otherwise useless leach go. wesley duke will probably go on the practice squad for a year to learn and then will compete next year i think we will keep three TE with hape moving back to FB
aceyalone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncs_fan_from_UK wrote:
Chris wrote:

with our drafting of chris meyers i think we finally let the otherwise useless leach go. wesley duke will probably go on the practice squad for a year to learn and then will compete next year i think we will keep three TE with hape moving back to FB

isnt chris myers a C/G not a TE?

i doubt Wesley Duke makes it on the team. they will give him a chance on the practice squad for a bout 2 years, but there going to cut him in his 3rd season (just my opinion)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceyalone wrote:
broncs_fan_from_UK wrote:
Chris wrote:

isnt chris myers a C/G not a TE?

i doubt Wesley Duke makes it on the team. they will give him a chance on the practice squad for a bout 2 years, but there going to cut him in his 3rd season (just my opinion)

yes he is. he is also a long snapper the only thing that has kept leach on the team is his ability to be a long snapper. as for duke i like what ive read about his size and athleticism. he is definately a project though
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i REALLY hope that champ stays on the defensive side of the ball. if he gets injured playing where we don't really need him, ruining our shot at the playoffs, i'll be uber-pissed. with our lack of experience (and maybe talent???) at CB, we absolutely can't lose Champ to injury. and i see him playing offense as an unnecessary risk.
The_Jester

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Here's what I have to say . . .

Back atcha Chris.

1] Hunt and Clabo Agreed. Also, Clint Mitchell had a good World Bowl game, but I see that he's not on the roster any more.

2] Williams as CB Also agreed, but they will have to watch the size matchups. He could be effective covering some of the smaller slot guys.

3] D-line rotation I'd like to see Coleman stay. I recall both Shanahan and Al Wilson saying what a great locker-room presence Coleman was last year.

What happened to Elliss Johnson?

4] Clarett Heard anything about Dayne? That could be a real fight for the number three spot.

5] mini-camp in July No comment.

6] Anderson as starter Anderson is listed as number one right now. http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_2793909 And there may be a loyalty factor involved there as well. But Bell may be too good to keep on the bench for long.

7] Sapp as fullback No comment.

8] BJ Johnson Hopefully Johnson sticks with the practice squad. Perhaps he's a candidate for NFL Europe next year.

That's a lot of TEs. But I don't see any who can block like Carswell. I hope this isn't a problem.

9] Bailey as WR Agreed. But for Bailey to be effective as a decoy, the other teams have to believe that Plummer will actually go to him. Meaning, Plummer will have to go to him a couple of times early in the season.

10] backup QB I think that if Mauck looks good throwing the ball in pre-season, the job may be his. Shanahan does seem to like Kanell, though. Frankly, I don't feel very confident with either of them. Wouldn't hurt to pick up a veteran FA, if there's salary cap room.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: