Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

STATE OF THE RAIDERS DEFENSE
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Raider Mike 47


Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Posts: 28
Location: ct
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: STATE OF THE RAIDERS DEFENSE Reply with quote

This unit was worse than bad this year, but it has the potential to be very good next year. Here's what should be done. I already stated Ryan should be fired and the 46 defense should be thrown out and the 4-3 brought back.

Lets assume the Raiders draft one of the 3 big RBs with pick #7 in the draft. (If they dont,Derrick Johnson and Erasmis James are good choices, but I'll say they take a RB because its their biggest need as things stand now, before free agency)

SAFETY Simple...Marquis Anderson and Stuart Sweigert should be our starters next year. I loved what Jarrod Cooper did for us last year on kick and punt coverage, but thats where he should stay. Derrick Gibson should be given a look in training camp and NO PLAY Ray Buchanon should be released because he simply isnt that good anymore.
2005 Starters Marquis Anderson and Stuart Sweigert

CornerNnamdi Asumgha has showed me enough to think that the 3rd year player from Cal should be given the opportunity to start this year. Charles Woodson is one of the top 5 corners in the league, but we need to Franchise him and trade him for 2 reasons. 1....He is often hurt and doesnt put the effort into film study or practice....and 2......the amount of salary he will require can be better spent and he will bring back a couple of high draft choices this year. I know Al Davis likes to build his defense around corner backs and Im as big a Woodson fan as anyone, but this is what is right for the team. The other starting corner should be Phillip Buchanon. "Showtime" recently said hes unhappy and wants to be traded, but somebody needs to tell him that "Showtime" is not good enough to demand a trade. I think he'll remain with the team as he'll make less than 1 mill next year and if this guy ever gets his head screwed on right, hes going to be a hell of a corner....Denard "PASS INTERFERENCE" Walker needs to be cut and I would target a nickel back as one of my top priorities in free agency.
2005 Starters Phillip Buchanon and Nnamdi Asumgha


Now that I have them losing Woodson...lets say they get the 33rd pick a compensation from the NFL (as with Chester McGlockton) and lets just say the 16th pick in the second round.


[/b]Linebackers Well, this has been a weakness for some time now. Danny Clark should start inside because he had a phenominal year....130 tackles!!!!!!! Napoleon Harris should be moved outside and should start opposite Sam Williams. Both of these players are still young but have showed just as many flashes of being draft busts as they have shown of being quality NFL starters, so the jury is still out on both of them. Of the reserves, Travian Smith is worthy of being brought back as he can be productive when he isnt hurt and Tim Johnson is valuable, but only as a special teams player. DeLawrence Grant should be cut and Akbar Kbaja-Biamila is on th bubble. A pass rushing LB SHOULD be drafted with one of those 3 second round picks!!! Its too early for me to speculate who.
2005 Starters Harris Clark Williams/Smith/draft pick

Defensive Line Where do I start? First, with the remaining two picks in the 2nd round, a pass rushing DE and a young DT must be aquired!! I like Dan Cody and Travis Johnson if they are there (although its early). PLEASE MOVE WARREN SAPP BACK INSIDE!!! He was unproductive this year, but in his defense, hes not a DE. Ted Washington should be kept around and Tommie Kelly was really a nice surprise this year leading the team in sacks despite limited playing time with 4. At the ends, Tyler Brayton is a very good DE (although i think Rob Ryan thought he was a corner back Mad ). Bobby hamilton should be given the chance to compete for the other starting spot because of his run stopping ability, but with Sapp, Washington, and Brayton already on the line, that position should really be filled with a pass rusher as the Raiders desperately misses that this year. Sands and Irons should be released...and Parrella is too old now, he should also be let go.
2005 Starters Brayton Sapp Washington(Kelly on passing downs) Hamilton/Cody

Well....there you have it.....easier said than done, but with this plan and the weakness of thier schedule there is no reason the Raiders shouldnt be able to go 9-7 or 10-6 next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
texansfan


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 5620
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that the raiders have all the physical tools to be a very good defense. Woodson and Buchanon could be one of the best corner combos in the league when they're healthy. And their linebackers and line have tons of talent. It all seems to come down to attitude. Woodson and Buchanon both wanting out, Sapp not seeming to play that hard, everybody bitching and complaining. The Raiders could be a very good team but they seem to need to get everyone back on the same page.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheNextStep


Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Posts: 98
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: STATE OF THE RAIDERS DEFENSE Reply with quote

Raider Mike 47 wrote:
This unit was worse than bad this year, but it has the potential to be very good next year. Here's what should be done. I already stated Ryan should be fired and the 46 defense should be thrown out and the 4-3 brought back.


First, I disagree that Rob Ryan should be fired, though I realize that I am distinctly in the minority amongst Raider fans. I'm not saying that our defense did a great job this past season, don't get me wrong, but here's my line of thinking with regards to Rob Ryan:

When he was hired, what he was tasked with was a dramatic change in defensive philosophy. We'd been a 4-3 defense for a long, long time and what Ryan was tasked with installing was a 3-4 base defense that also had the ability to change defensive fronts on the fly and go from a 3-4 to a 4-3 to a 46 in an instant. Frankly, there were a couple of significant impedements to that: Existing players on the roster were players better physically equipped to play the 4-3; existing players who have been trained for years to play the 4-3; having just one short off-season (remember how late it was when Al Davis finally got his coaching staff in order) to get it done. Personally, I still love the idea of the type of defense that is envisioned under Rob Ryan. I would like to see him get another year - to get some more players, have existing players learn the system better, and give Ryan an off-season to tweak his approach.

One thing that really impresses me about Rob Ryan is the fact that all throughout the year, the players were pointing the fingers at themselves. There's no doubt in my mind that Ryan has the respect of the players.

Quote:
SAFETY Simple...Marquis Anderson and Stuart Sweigert should be our starters next year. I loved what Jarrod Cooper did for us last year on kick and punt coverage, but thats where he should stay. Derrick Gibson should be given a look in training camp and NO PLAY Ray Buchanon should be released because he simply isnt that good anymore.
2005 Starters Marquis Anderson and Stuart Sweigert


I don't have too much beef with this, although I wouldn't hand it to either of them on a platter. Schwiegert is still green and Anderson has to show improvement in his coverage ability. I say make the two of them the guys that we hope come out on top... but bring in plenty of competition for them. Regarding Ray Buchanan, I have to honestly say that I loved what I saw of him in terms of locker room leadership and the way he became the public voice for the defense... but he just wasn't capable of getting it done on that field. I would not be upset if he were cut.

Quote:
CornerNnamdi Asumgha has showed me enough to think that the 3rd year player from Cal should be given the opportunity to start this year. Charles Woodson is one of the top 5 corners in the league, but we need to Franchise him and trade him for 2 reasons. 1....He is often hurt and doesnt put the effort into film study or practice....and 2......the amount of salary he will require can be better spent and he will bring back a couple of high draft choices this year. I know Al Davis likes to build his defense around corner backs and Im as big a Woodson fan as anyone, but this is what is right for the team. The other starting corner should be Phillip Buchanon. "Showtime" recently said hes unhappy and wants to be traded, but somebody needs to tell him that "Showtime" is not good enough to demand a trade. I think he'll remain with the team as he'll make less than 1 mill next year and if this guy ever gets his head screwed on right, hes going to be a hell of a corner....Denard "PASS INTERFERENCE" Walker needs to be cut and I would target a nickel back as one of my top priorities in free agency.
2005 Starters Phillip Buchanon and Nnamdi Asumgha


First, I would like to see us keep Charles Woodson. As far as I'm concerned, you can forget that "Top 5" talk and just name him "Top 2" right now, along with Champ Bailey (despite the fact that Champ had it rough this past year). For a couple of minutes there I was thinking, "With the chuck rule being called the way it is, it doesn't make sense to dump too much money into a corner" and was kind of supporting the notion of Charles being allowed to go somewhere else... but then I was talking about it with a buddy and the way he put it (which I agree with) is that now that the chuck rule is being called the way it is, it actually increases the value of good cornerbacks (in terms of what they bring to the defense). So... I disagree with the idea of letting Woodson walk or trading him.

Second, I would absolutely LOVE IT if the Raiders were able to give Buchanon his wish. It won't happen, I know... but I can't stand the way the guy plays the game, nor can I stand the way he shows his [inappropriate/removed] in the media just by opening his mouth.

Third, I like Nnamdi and always have. In fact, I was calling for us to draft him before the draft that year. I also thought that Nnamdi started showing signs of progress towards the end of the year... but he's still far too green for me to feel comfortable with he and Buchanon as our starters next year. If we do as you suggest and trade Woodson, I hope like hell we're looking really hard at the top corners in the first round of the draft.

Quote:
Now that I have them losing Woodson...lets say they get the 33rd pick a compensation from the NFL (as with Chester McGlockton) and lets just say the 16th pick in the second round.


We wouldn't get a compensatory pick until next off-season, and where it would be slotted depends not only on Woodson's playing time and productivity but also on the playing time and productivity of the free agents that we're going to bring in this season. That's why I'm worried about his season: You'd think that losing Barton and Coleman would give us a nice compensatory selection... until you remember that Collins put up decent yardage numbers and Danny Clark was a beast for us last year.

Quote:
Linebackers Well, this has been a weakness for some time now. Danny Clark should start inside because he had a phenominal year....130 tackles!!!!!!! Napoleon Harris should be moved outside and should start opposite Sam Williams. Both of these players are still young but have showed just as many flashes of being draft busts as they have shown of being quality NFL starters, so the jury is still out on both of them. Of the reserves, Travian Smith is worthy of being brought back as he can be productive when he isnt hurt and Tim Johnson is valuable, but only as a special teams player. DeLawrence Grant should be cut and Akbar Kbaja-Biamila is on th bubble. A pass rushing LB SHOULD be drafted with one of those 3 second round picks!!! Its too early for me to speculate who.
2005 Starters Harris Clark Williams/Smith/draft pick


Danny Clark, as mentioned, was phenomenal and he's a lock to start. Napoleon Harris had a down year and was disappointing. While I'd like to see him moved outside, I don't foresee it happening. He'll continue to start in the middle, IMO (though I still hold on to the pipe dream that we'll sign Kendrell Bell and move Harris outside). On the outside, I really liked what I saw out of Sam Williams. Hopefully, the kid finally gets (and stays) healthy enough to start all year... but I'd spend some money on his backup, just to be safe. At the other outside spot, I'd like to see us bring in a veteran who has experience in a 3-4 system. There a couple of guys who played it exclusively in college that I like (Warrick Holdman, Jason Glenn) but we should also watch the late cuts. There's a rumor that Sam Cowart may be a salary cap casualty in New York now that Vilma took his job away.

Quote:
Defensive Line Where do I start? First, with the remaining two picks in the 2nd round, a pass rushing DE and a young DT must be aquired!! I like Dan Cody and Travis Johnson if they are there (although its early). PLEASE MOVE WARREN SAPP BACK INSIDE!!! He was unproductive this year, but in his defense, hes not a DE. Ted Washington should be kept around and Tommie Kelly was really a nice surprise this year leading the team in sacks despite limited playing time with 4. At the ends, Tyler Brayton is a very good DE (although i think Rob Ryan thought he was a corner back Mad ). Bobby hamilton should be given the chance to compete for the other starting spot because of his run stopping ability, but with Sapp, Washington, and Brayton already on the line, that position should really be filled with a pass rusher as the Raiders desperately misses that this year. Sands and Irons should be released...and Parrella is too old now, he should also be let go.
2005 Starters Brayton Sapp Washington(Kelly on passing downs) Hamilton/Cody


I'd like to see us get a true 3-4 DE. Both Sapp and Washington were disappointments but I do have to say that Sapp seemed to turn it up a bit towards the end of the year. I'd like to see both of them return. I would love to see Bobby Hamilton come back as well and he's already indicated that he hopes to sign with Oakland again. Tommy Kelly was a disruptive beast. Brayton got screwed because he was playing OLB half the time. I think that, sadly, we've seen the last of Parrella in a Raider uniform. I really liked that guy, too. I disagree with you on releasing Terdell Sands. I thought that he did his job relatively well - occupy blockers - and he's the closest thing we've got to a true NT after Washington.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheNextStep


Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Posts: 98
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texansfan wrote:
I agree with you that the raiders have all the physical tools to be a very good defense. Woodson and Buchanon could be one of the best corner combos in the league when they're healthy. And their linebackers and line have tons of talent. It all seems to come down to attitude. Woodson and Buchanon both wanting out, Sapp not seeming to play that hard, everybody bitching and complaining. The Raiders could be a very good team but they seem to need to get everyone back on the same page.


Woodson does not want out. He just wants to get paid like the top corner in the league. When he appeared on the Best Damn Sports Show earlier this week, he was asked directly, "Do you want to be an Oakland Raider?" His response was just as direct, "Yes, I want to be an Oakland Raider."

As for everybody bitching and complaining, I don't know who you're talking about, other than Buchanon. I was actually very proud of the defense because they consistently took accountability for mistakes. In fact, the say after Buchanon made his "I want to be traded" comments in the paper, both Sapp and Ray Buchanan publicly made comments to the effect of "Shut the hell up and play ball."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raider Mike 47


Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Posts: 28
Location: ct
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing that i meant about the getting the picks this year is that im assuming we are going to Franchise him....i know the regular free agent losses come as picks the following year, but another team will have to give us picks when we franchise woodson.....i remember we did this with mcglocton but it was so close to the draft that we got the chiefs #2 and a comp pick that same year at the end of the first.....which unfortunately was leon bender
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
snailplow


Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 162
Location: MTN. HOME, N.C.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: My Version. Reply with quote

Coach Ryan can stay as long as he accepts the change back to a 4-3 scheme.DB Coach Clayton Lopez is fired,and Rod Woodson is hired to replace him.

D-Line: Parrella is released.
During run downs the line looks like this.LDE-->Bobby Hamilton-LT-->Ted Washington-RT-->Terdell Sands-RDE-->Tyler Brayton
On passing downs it's: LDE-->Akbar Gbaja-Biamila-LT-->Warren Sapp-RT-->Tommy Kelly-RDE-->Tyler Brayton

Linebackers:Delawrence Grant is released.
SLB-->Napoleon Harris-MLB-->Danny Clark-WLB-->Derrick Johnson
The rest can serve as relief backers.




Cornerbacks:Denard Walker gets shot dead immediately(I'll squeeze the trigger).Woodson is franchised and traded for a 1st round pick,and we draft the best CB available(Corey Webster please).P.Buchanon is traded to Washington for Fred Smoot.We also sign Ken Lucas and Gary Baxter through free agency.Nnamdi Asomugha stays.
DB Coach Rod Woodson picks his starters after training camp.

Safties: Ray Buchanan gets a hollowpoint to the head as well.David Terrell is released.We sign Idress Bashir in free agency.FS-->Stu Schweigert & Bashir battle for starting spot in training camp--SS-->Marques Anderson & Derrick Gibson battle in camp for the starting spot.


Okay,some of this is fantasy,but this is just a message board,so what the hell. Very Happy
_________________
If you catch a man a fish,he'll eat for a day.If you TEACH a man to fish,he'll eat for a lifetime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
theMadStork


Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 79
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Buchanon needs to find a new home. he is no longer welcome on my team.

he is terrible and i don't want to have to put up with his lack of skill at CB. the guy is one of the very best atheltes in the NFL and he thinks that is enough. it's not. you have to know what you're doing. HE HAS NO CLUE
_________________
********************
When rookie Howie Long took a breather for one play in 1981, Hendricks called a time out and told his puzzled teammates, "I miss Howie."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RabidRaider


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 27
Location: NJ
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Raiders will go the FA route for a running back...Jordan, Alexander, etc...and with the defense a great need should draft D. Johnson if available or a pass rushing DE...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JamesT


Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 96
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: STATE OF THE RAIDERS DEFENSE Reply with quote

Raider Mike 47 wrote:
This unit was worse than bad this year, but it has the potential to be very good next year. Here's what should be done. I already stated Ryan should be fired and the 46 defense should be thrown out and the 4-3 brought back.

Lets assume the Raiders draft one of the 3 big RBs with pick #7 in the draft. (If they dont,Derrick Johnson and Erasmis James are good choices, but I'll say they take a RB because its their biggest need as things stand now, before free agency)

SAFETY Simple...Marquis Anderson and Stuart Sweigert should be our starters next year. I loved what Jarrod Cooper did for us last year on kick and punt coverage, but thats where he should stay. Derrick Gibson should be given a look in training camp and NO PLAY Ray Buchanon should be released because he simply isnt that good anymore.
2005 Starters Marquis Anderson and Stuart Sweigert

CornerNnamdi Asumgha has showed me enough to think that the 3rd year player from Cal should be given the opportunity to start this year. Charles Woodson is one of the top 5 corners in the league, but we need to Franchise him and trade him for 2 reasons. 1....He is often hurt and doesnt put the effort into film study or practice....and 2......the amount of salary he will require can be better spent and he will bring back a couple of high draft choices this year. I know Al Davis likes to build his defense around corner backs and Im as big a Woodson fan as anyone, but this is what is right for the team. The other starting corner should be Phillip Buchanon. "Showtime" recently said hes unhappy and wants to be traded, but somebody needs to tell him that "Showtime" is not good enough to demand a trade. I think he'll remain with the team as he'll make less than 1 mill next year and if this guy ever gets his head screwed on right, hes going to be a hell of a corner....Denard "PASS INTERFERENCE" Walker needs to be cut and I would target a nickel back as one of my top priorities in free agency.
2005 Starters Phillip Buchanon and Nnamdi Asumgha


Now that I have them losing Woodson...lets say they get the 33rd pick a compensation from the NFL (as with Chester McGlockton) and lets just say the 16th pick in the second round.


[/b]Linebackers Well, this has been a weakness for some time now. Danny Clark should start inside because he had a phenominal year....130 tackles!!!!!!! Napoleon Harris should be moved outside and should start opposite Sam Williams. Both of these players are still young but have showed just as many flashes of being draft busts as they have shown of being quality NFL starters, so the jury is still out on both of them. Of the reserves, Travian Smith is worthy of being brought back as he can be productive when he isnt hurt and Tim Johnson is valuable, but only as a special teams player. DeLawrence Grant should be cut and Akbar Kbaja-Biamila is on th bubble. A pass rushing LB SHOULD be drafted with one of those 3 second round picks!!! Its too early for me to speculate who.
2005 Starters Harris Clark Williams/Smith/draft pick

Defensive Line Where do I start? First, with the remaining two picks in the 2nd round, a pass rushing DE and a young DT must be aquired!! I like Dan Cody and Travis Johnson if they are there (although its early). PLEASE MOVE WARREN SAPP BACK INSIDE!!! He was unproductive this year, but in his defense, hes not a DE. Ted Washington should be kept around and Tommie Kelly was really a nice surprise this year leading the team in sacks despite limited playing time with 4. At the ends, Tyler Brayton is a very good DE (although i think Rob Ryan thought he was a corner back Mad ). Bobby hamilton should be given the chance to compete for the other starting spot because of his run stopping ability, but with Sapp, Washington, and Brayton already on the line, that position should really be filled with a pass rusher as the Raiders desperately misses that this year. Sands and Irons should be released...and Parrella is too old now, he should also be let go.
2005 Starters Brayton Sapp Washington(Kelly on passing downs) Hamilton/Cody

Well....there you have it.....easier said than done, but with this plan and the weakness of thier schedule there is no reason the Raiders shouldnt be able to go 9-7 or 10-6 next year.



Admire the passion Mike but this team needs to be gutted from the top on down. I will say this until my face turns blue AL DAVIS NEEDS TO GO PERIOD. How many bad choices is this has been going to make? I am a Raiders fan, just being honest. Get a new coaching staff while you are at it. I got a good chuckle when they hire Turney, terrible hire. Now with the personnel moves - Woodson needs to go he is the major reason why the locker room is split in two. He is a cancer period. Have a nice long chat with Buchanan and if he can't get on the ball then trade his [inappropriate/removed]. I am tired of watching this team with all this talent do absolutely nothing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rugbyken


Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Posts: 126
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: frustrated in oakland Reply with quote

man I agree whole heartedly, the Raiders will NEVER win a super bowl until Al is Dead. I don;t wish death on him or anyone but until h'es completely out of the picture, raiders are stuck. We all know he's going to run the team still even with alziehmeirs and as long as he can talk or point or anything. geeze it's a frustrating couple decades for us. Gruden was the only hope we had because he was one of the few that could tell AL to stay the f*** away from my strategy.
_________________
Football is for people who can't handle the pain of rugby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JamesT


Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 96
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: frustrated in oakland Reply with quote

Rugbyken wrote:
man I agree whole heartedly, the Raiders will NEVER win a super bowl until Al is Dead. I don;t wish death on him or anyone but until h'es completely out of the picture, raiders are stuck. We all know he's going to run the team still even with alziehmeirs and as long as he can talk or point or anything. geeze it's a frustrating couple decades for us. Gruden was the only hope we had because he was one of the few that could tell AL to stay the f*** away from my strategy.



I would think the ownership of the Raiders would try and stepup and get this guy out. I know they have tried unsuccessfully in the past. This is a huge year for them in the draft. They are drafting at a spot where an impact player has to be drafted. Whether they draft someone or trade down is not the issue. The issue is whoever they get has to make an impact on this team now. I keep reading all these posts that C. Woodson is going to be tagged again. I think this is a huge mistake considering how he has divided this team in the locker room. they need to get rid of him. Also if Buchanan is going to be a problem then trade him as well. I think everyone in the NFL is looking at the Patriots right now and realizing that coaching more than anything can win you games rather then having superstars on the team. Use their model and get quality guys rather then getting the Buchanan's of the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dark Knight


Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 370
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: STATE OF THE RAIDERS DEFENSE Reply with quote

Raider Mike 47 wrote:
This unit was worse than bad this year, but it has the potential to be very good next year. Here's what should be done. I already stated Ryan should be fired and the 46 defense should be thrown out and the 4-3 brought back.

Lets assume the Raiders draft one of the 3 big RBs with pick #7 in the draft. (If they dont,Derrick Johnson and Erasmis James are good choices, but I'll say they take a RB because its their biggest need as things stand now, before free agency)

SAFETY Simple...Marquis Anderson and Stuart Sweigert should be our starters next year. I loved what Jarrod Cooper did for us last year on kick and punt coverage, but thats where he should stay. Derrick Gibson should be given a look in training camp and NO PLAY Ray Buchanon should be released because he simply isnt that good anymore.
2005 Starters Marquis Anderson and Stuart Sweigert

CornerNnamdi Asumgha has showed me enough to think that the 3rd year player from Cal should be given the opportunity to start this year. Charles Woodson is one of the top 5 corners in the league, but we need to Franchise him and trade him for 2 reasons. 1....He is often hurt and doesnt put the effort into film study or practice....and 2......the amount of salary he will require can be better spent and he will bring back a couple of high draft choices this year. I know Al Davis likes to build his defense around corner backs and Im as big a Woodson fan as anyone, but this is what is right for the team. The other starting corner should be Phillip Buchanon. "Showtime" recently said hes unhappy and wants to be traded, but somebody needs to tell him that "Showtime" is not good enough to demand a trade. I think he'll remain with the team as he'll make less than 1 mill next year and if this guy ever gets his head screwed on right, hes going to be a hell of a corner....Denard "PASS INTERFERENCE" Walker needs to be cut and I would target a nickel back as one of my top priorities in free agency.
2005 Starters Phillip Buchanon and Nnamdi Asumgha


Now that I have them losing Woodson...lets say they get the 33rd pick a compensation from the NFL (as with Chester McGlockton) and lets just say the 16th pick in the second round.


[/b]Linebackers Well, this has been a weakness for some time now. Danny Clark should start inside because he had a phenominal year....130 tackles!!!!!!! Napoleon Harris should be moved outside and should start opposite Sam Williams. Both of these players are still young but have showed just as many flashes of being draft busts as they have shown of being quality NFL starters, so the jury is still out on both of them. Of the reserves, Travian Smith is worthy of being brought back as he can be productive when he isnt hurt and Tim Johnson is valuable, but only as a special teams player. DeLawrence Grant should be cut and Akbar Kbaja-Biamila is on th bubble. A pass rushing LB SHOULD be drafted with one of those 3 second round picks!!! Its too early for me to speculate who.
2005 Starters Harris Clark Williams/Smith/draft pick

Defensive Line Where do I start? First, with the remaining two picks in the 2nd round, a pass rushing DE and a young DT must be aquired!! I like Dan Cody and Travis Johnson if they are there (although its early). PLEASE MOVE WARREN SAPP BACK INSIDE!!! He was unproductive this year, but in his defense, hes not a DE. Ted Washington should be kept around and Tommie Kelly was really a nice surprise this year leading the team in sacks despite limited playing time with 4. At the ends, Tyler Brayton is a very good DE (although i think Rob Ryan thought he was a corner back Mad ). Bobby hamilton should be given the chance to compete for the other starting spot because of his run stopping ability, but with Sapp, Washington, and Brayton already on the line, that position should really be filled with a pass rusher as the Raiders desperately misses that this year. Sands and Irons should be released...and Parrella is too old now, he should also be let go.
2005 Starters Brayton Sapp Washington(Kelly on passing downs) Hamilton/Cody

Well....there you have it.....easier said than done, but with this plan and the weakness of thier schedule there is no reason the Raiders shouldnt be able to go 9-7 or 10-6 next year.



i agree that Ryan should go back to using the 4-3 more often, but still use the 3-4 in certain situations. Thye key to running a successful 3-4, is having good LB's that go from sideline to sideline and tackle! Why would release Irons?? He stepped up last year, just like Kelley did, no way the Raiders should release and up and comer like him. Bad move. Raider need to get a nickel back that better the Walker....another OLB who can rush the passer and make tackles and a pass rushing DE. Sapp needs to be moved back inside.....putting him outside was a huge mistake last year. Plus with the Woodson and Buchanon sutuation....i would would love to see Rolle slip to them at #7 or DJ....if not they should trade outta there and load up on picks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dark Knight


Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 370
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh an i think that Ray Buchanon is not a safety at all...if anything he should be used as a nickel back to replace that garbage Denard Walker.....i would still like to see Okaland finally get their veteran safety to help the younger guys like Rod Woodson did a couple of years ago. Thye tried to get Harrison,,then last year they tried to get Lynch....hopefully they can pick someone this year.....finally! Sands should be kept also along with Irons...they are ytoung adn are still developing into solid reserves. get rid of Parella...Grant...hope to re-sign Hamilton also.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dark Knight


Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 370
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My Version. Reply with quote

snailplow wrote:
Coach Ryan can stay as long as he accepts the change back to a 4-3 scheme.DB Coach Clayton Lopez is fired,and Rod Woodson is hired to replace him.

D-Line: Parrella is released.
During run downs the line looks like this.LDE-->Bobby Hamilton-LT-->Ted Washington-RT-->Terdell Sands-RDE-->Tyler Brayton
On passing downs it's: LDE-->Akbar Gbaja-Biamila-LT-->Warren Sapp-RT-->Tommy Kelly-RDE-->Tyler Brayton

Linebackers:Delawrence Grant is released.
SLB-->Napoleon Harris-MLB-->Danny Clark-WLB-->Derrick Johnson
The rest can serve as relief backers.




Cornerbacks:Denard Walker gets shot dead immediately(I'll squeeze the trigger).Woodson is franchised and traded for a 1st round pick,and we draft the best CB available(Corey Webster please).P.Buchanon is traded to Washington for Fred Smoot.We also sign Ken Lucas and Gary Baxter through free agency.Nnamdi Asomugha stays.
DB Coach Rod Woodson picks his starters after training camp.

Safties: Ray Buchanan gets a hollowpoint to the head as well.David Terrell is released.We sign Idress Bashir in free agency.FS-->Stu Schweigert & Bashir battle for starting spot in training camp--SS-->Marques Anderson & Derrick Gibson battle in camp for the starting spot.


Okay,some of this is fantasy,but this is just a message board,so what the hell. Very Happy


i like heaqring Woodson being brought on sa DB coach....and i like your line changes and situational subs! Good stuff! I would like to see Bashir signed as well....but i would like to see Ray Buch, kept on nickel back...get rid off crap Walker...ahhhh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wjb5020


Joined: 22 Jan 2005
Posts: 17
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately for raider fans, after spending the 3 first round picks in the last 4 years on the secondary it's still a mess. Derrick Gibson, Phillip Buchanon and Nnamdi. Charles Woodson seems to have one foot out the door, and his demand to be the highest paid coner in the league would handcuff the frandchise, giving big money to an old, above average, but overrated corner. Especially with the big pay day corners got last year.

Any raider fan knows about Buchanon. Me-first player who always gets burned going for the big play. He's even been taken to task in the locker room by guys on the team for his attitude. But, he's still in his rookie contract, and he's likely to be back. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Nnamdi got plenty of starting experience last year, and I think he should be given the opportunity to start in one of those places. He seemed to get 1 or 2 flags a game, but he may have been adjusting to the new rules much like everyone else.

Stuart is a ball-hawk safety, but his tackling mechanics are horrible, I'd start Jarrod Cooper and anderson based on solid play.

I wouldn't be surprised if we snatch up Rolle if he falls to 7, and spend yet another first round pick on the secondary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group