You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Next season's secondary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blunoranj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Next season's secondary Reply with quote

With all the uncertainty and/or health issues facing our DBs this season and into the off-season, what should next year's secondary look like? Here's my opinion. Let me know what you think.

SS- John Lynch
Some people are complaining that he's lost a step, that we shouldn't have got him in the first place b/c he took $$ we could have used on keeping some other players (Berry. Gold.), but I think he's added FAR more to our team than he's taken away. I agree that coverage isn't his strong suit, but a BIG TIME HITTER and a leader. Still got a few good years left.

FS- Kenoy Kennedy
IF we can afford to keep him. Some people have mentioned that he and Lynch are essentially the same player: both are hitters who are better at defending the run than the pass. Though I'd like to see KK eventually moved to SS and have Nick Ferguson or draft pick be our cover FS, I don't see KK taking Lynch's position AT THIS TIME.

RCB- Champ Bailey
Has struggled a bit against big receivers, but is the best cornerback in football. We're lucky to have him.

LCB- Lenny Walls
Could cover some of the bigger receivers b/c of his heighth (See above). Had good season 2 years ago, but hurt most of this year. Personally, I think he's a better corner than Kelly Herndon, who always seemed to be the one getting burned on big plays.

Nickel- Kelly Herndon
Has done pretty well as our #2 corner, but I still feel he's a #3. I still have images of that Atlanta game. We'll see how he fares on Sunday, if he's a legit #2....

Dime- Willie Middlebrooks
Has actually started to contribute this year before getting hurt (Again). Limited Antonio Gates in SD game to only 3 catches. NEEDS to stay healthy (and stop hitting girls).
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Kennedy has expressed that he wants to stay in Denver and I'm sure he'll resign. Middlebrooks is as good as gone after being in jail, I never liked the guy and I hope we get rid of him, we can draft another corner in round two or some other time in the draft and develop the younger talent. Alexander and Shoate have been looking good and don't forget LeSeuer, he'd be a great nickel back. Walls might not even start next year, he could find himself treading in trade waters, we have a lot of young talent.

Lynch, Kennedy, Bailey, Herndon (he's a FA I believe too), Alexander, Shoate and LeSeuer, probably along with Walls.

Yeah, awesome cool! Denver Broncos rock the world!
blunoranj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a lot will depend on free agency. I think re-signing Reggie Hayward is priority #1. We might not have enough $$ to re-sign Kenoy. Which is fine for the time being, b/c we have Nick Ferguson to play FS, but in a couple of years when Lynch retires, we'll have to find another SS.

Hadn't heard about Middlebrooks going to jail. I thought the charges weren't THAT serious. What exactly IS 3rd degree assault?
ChiefSurgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Smoot...let's just take the whole redskins secondary!!!

Bailey and Lynch are solid.

the jury is still out on Walls ...

but i think we can do better than walls or herndon as the no. 2 CB...if it's made a team priority.

We'll know tomorrow after the Indy game how much help we really need.

Nevertheless we need a much improved defensive line...and the secondary will become a secondary issue
SilverStar

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by SilverStar on Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
SilverStar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez after the loss to indy, maybe you guys should go after another shutdown corner because they threw at will. It didn't matter what you guys did, you just plain got embarrassed. The Ravens or bills should have made the playoffs over the broncos. At least they could have had a chance at stopping indy.
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our #2 and #3 cornerbacks are out for the year, what do you expect?

You're a Cowboys fan, go back to the boonies.

SilverStar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right i am a cowboys fan, and we didn't make the playoffs. That still doesn't change the fact that the Broncos were embarassed.......again. Some #4 defense, they couldn't even stop Indy from doubling them up in points.
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BiggD wrote:
You're right i am a cowboys fan, and we didn't make the playoffs. That still doesn't change the fact that the Broncos were embarassed.......again. Some #4 defense, they couldn't even stop Indy from doubling them up in points.

I guess you're blind or you're just a retard, so go away.

#2 + #3 CB out for season = time to pass all over, I won't bother telling you about Zone Defenses or Blitzing because you wouldn't understand.

It's simple, sort of like this equation:

Dallas Cowboys = Never going to win a Super Bowl as long as there is a Salary Cap in the NFL, have more fun being drug dealers than football players, suck at life and suck as a whole FOOTBALL team.

Got it?

blunoranj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BiggD wrote:
The Ravens or bills should have made the playoffs over the broncos. At least they could have had a chance at stopping indy.

And they would have made it too. If it wasn't for that "vaunted" (=over-hyped) Ravens D getting lit up by Carson Palmer IN THE 4TH QRTR @HOME, and if the Bills could have beaten the Steelers' JV. But they didn't. BTW, last I checked, Denver went 1-1 against the Colts this year. Baltimore went 0-1.
ChiefSurgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can anyone from Dallas talk about embarrassment. You're in the trashy NFC...trashy NFC East no less and you couldn't make the play-offs. The Vikings torched you, the Eagles torched you, the Bengals torched you, not to mention you got swept by the Giants and lost to lowly Chicago. Please don't mention embarrassment.
shadow walker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont care but i know tha 'boyz r gonna b a hell uva team next yr...all yall watch...chris u have no right of calling anybody retarded its a trip 2 c everybody bicker at eachother
shadow walker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

CHIEF SURGEON...NICE NAME BY THE WAY.....YALL R GONNA BE EMABRRASSED NEXT YEAR...."HOW MANY DRAFT PICKS DO YALL HAVE", WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME U GUYS HAD THE NUMBER ONE DEFENSE....IM ANXIOUS 2 C WHERE U GUYS USE YALLS DRAFT PICS U KNOW....BUT GOOD LUCK WIT YALL
ChiefSurgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Broncos come to Irving in 2005...so we'll see how much all the draft picks really mattered. I think they remember Tatum Bell in the State of Texas.
shadow walker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatum bell is weak....were out of that salary cap trouble and we'll be americas team.....tatum bell is weak....he's got nothing...julius jones is the real deal....had julius jones been in the whole season.....we'd b in the playoffs....our defense will stiffen up....u guys need a d-line just like us though....if denver wins....then i'll tip my hat 2 yall....but thats unreal..[/code][/quote]

one of the great ones on this site

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: