Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Garrard named starter, Leftwich likely to be released/traded
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eaglesfan536890

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very big surprise to me! I think he will end up with the Falcons, they will wait for him to be released, and then sign him. Just for a short term answer. I doubt teams will give them tarde offers now that they know he will just be released anyway. I'm excited about seeing Garrard as the full time starter though, good luck to him!

ryknowssd on the sig
Bird Watch: Brodrick Bunkley
CrackMonster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
jagman777 wrote:
I don't care how bad you think Byron is, but he was our best option. You seriously think Garrad will do better?

Can you say, Brian Brohm sweepstakes? Seriously, did you expect Leftwich to take the Jaguars deep into the playoffs? I fully support Jack Del Rio, he made an intelligent decision against the grain of the Jacksonville fan base. Good for him.

I didn't like Lefty all that much either.

People praised him but I say through his turnovers. He frequently threw costly interceptions and only once rallied to win a close game.

When we went to the playoffs in 2005 it was due to Garrard's 4 game rally while Lefty was injured. Garrard having been hot for 4 games should have started but Lefty went in and didn't record 1 td vs. the Patriots.

Given it's the Patriots, I would still expect more than 3 points.

Wonders of ElipticDawg.
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I am EXCITED that the Texans will have to play him 2x a year, as I think Gabbert is a David Carr clone.
jagman777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
jagman777 wrote:
I don't care how bad you think Byron is, but he was our best option. You seriously think Garrad will do better?

Can you say, Brian Brohm sweepstakes? Seriously, did you expect Leftwich to take the Jaguars deep into the playoffs? I fully support Jack Del Rio, he made an intelligent decision against the grain of the Jacksonville fan base. Good for him.

HA! The LARGE majority of people here in Jacksonville wanted Garrard to be the starter. He went WITH the fans.

All Byron had to do was limit turnovers for this team to go deep.
jagman777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrackMonster wrote:
Kevin wrote:
jagman777 wrote:

I didn't like Lefty all that much either.

People praised him but I say through his turnovers. He frequently threw costly interceptions and only once rallied to win a close game.

When we went to the playoffs in 2005 it was due to Garrard's 4 game rally while Lefty was injured. Garrard having been hot for 4 games should have started but Lefty went in and didn't record 1 td vs. the Patriots.

Given it's the Patriots, I would still expect more than 3 points.

Yep, you're one of the "well now that he's not on my team anymore, hes's trash" kinda guys I guess. I never heard you say you would prefer Garrard over Lefty, ever.

Garrard kept us out of the playoffs last year!

As for that four game stretch, Byron did all the dirty work and Garrard came in and swept up the cupcakes that were left on our schedule. And why do people focus on those last three games? Because he had his chance to take the team to the playoffs and prove himself, but instead he laid one HUGE egg!
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see the advantage in this. Leftwich hasn't lived up to his draft status, but I didn't see anything last year from Garrard that would give me any confidence in him as a starter.

Someone's gonna get a bargain by picking up Leftwich, at least as a stopgap. He'd be an upgrade for teams like the Falcons, Vikings, Lions and Dolphins over what they currently have at QB. One of those teams should and will definitely pick him up.

As for Del Rio... I think he's bought himself an early exit from Jacksonville.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagman777 wrote:
Kevin wrote:
jagman777 wrote:

HA! The LARGE majority of people here in Jacksonville wanted Garrard to be the starter. He went WITH the fans.

I guess I'm somewhat out of touch with the Jacksonville fan base. Last season I was ridiculed by your team's fan base on this site when I suggested the Jaguars would be better off without him. I guess I was right. Cool

Frankly, Leftwich never improved or met the expectations associated with a first-round pick. Nobody should be surprised by this decision, the writing was on the wall last season. If I were a Jaguars fan, I'd be praising Del Rio's decision.

Honestly, I'm surprised to see so many 'educated' football fans that think Leftwich is anything better than a bottom-tier starter in the NFL. Goes to show you, too many fans base their opinions on anything and everything besides on-the-field performances.
Thanks to Reggie Neson#1 for the avatar and jonnyj20 for the sig.
jagman777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
jagman777 wrote:
Kevin wrote:
jagman777 wrote:

I guess I'm somewhat out of touch with the Jacksonville fan base. Last season I was ridiculed by your team's fan base on this site when I suggested the Jaguars would be better off without him. I guess I was right. Cool

Frankly, Leftwich never improved or met the expectations associated with a first-round pick. Nobody should be surprised by this decision, the writing was on the wall last season. If I were a Jaguars fan, I'd be praising Del Rio's decision.

Honestly, I'm surprised to see so many 'educated' football fans that think Leftwich is anything better than a bottom-tier starter in the NFL. Goes to show you, too many fans base their opinions on anything and everything besides on-the-field performances.

That has yet to be seen. Wink
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injuries really stunted Lefty's growth. He really played well in '05 when he was in there. Only threw 5 picks to 15 TDs and seemed to improve with each passing start. But once he got hurt, he lost the rhythm he established and he never seemed to reclaim it. It's a shame because I really thought he was primed for a breakout season last year.

He'll have a chance to redeem himself somewhere. But he'll have to learn to communicate better with his receivers and do a better job on 3rd down.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
e16bball

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Brunell and Leftwich switch places. Brunell would go to Jacksonville in trade, netting a draft pick most likely (but WR Reggie Williams is a piece the 'Skins would likely consider), and Leftwich would end up signing with the Redskins. He's a DC native, and has mentioned many times how he'd love to play for the 'Skins and Joe Gibbs one day. With Brunell gone, we'd have a spot open for a QB, considering Jordan Palmer belongs on the practice squad.

The only problem I see here is that signing a guy like Leftwich, who clearly has dreams of starting again, would put a lot of pressure on Campbell to perform early, and I'm not sure Gibbs wants to do that.

O.J. Atogwe Tracker: 25 Tackles | 1 INT | 2 PDs | 2 TFLs | 1 sack
Saverio Rocca Tracker: 44.2 AVG | 41.2 NET | 14/25 IN20
JonesDrew32

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrackMonster wrote:
Duh.

Why do people focus on only the last 3 games that David played?

hmm.... lets think this over, we were coasting to the playoffs after a big win against the Colts, then we blow up against the Titans or should i say Garrard blew up against the Titans, we lose against the Patriots the next week, then he chokes againt the Chiefs and he got benched in favor of Quinn Gray

CrackMonster wrote:
What about the Patriots rally? He almost won it by himself but our WR were nowhere to be seen.

he actually killed our rally, we had a chance to tie the game with like a minute left and we were on our own 40 and then the ball plops out of his hands, and the Patriots recover, if ur gonna bring up the good make sure you also bring up the bad

CrackMonster wrote:
Or Washington? Where our secondary gave Santana Moss all he could eat with his 200+ receiving yards?

huh??? we are talking about Garrard not the defense and Garrard didnt even play that game

CrackMonster wrote:
By the way he played in preseason, he seems to be maturing more as a passer now, too.

you do know he is going up against opposing teams 3rd string defenses in the Pre-season right??

until Garrard can prove to me that he can manage a game especially in crunch time when ur heading to the playoffs i see this team no more than a 7 to 8 win team

as it hurts me to say that, i just think with Garrard leading this team as its starting QB, i dont see this team going anywhere anytime soon

this had to be a PR move, we are struggling to sell tickets and we all know the fan base in Jacksonville for some reason loves David Garrard

this move will definitely improve ticket sales, thats the only positive thing i see from this decision by the Jags Organization

and as Kevin said, welcome to the Brian Brohm sweepstakes
Chali21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that they were going to keep him as starter.... Strange.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm utterly shocked, though I shouldn't be. I'm not sure what to say now, except, good luck to you Byron, and let's go David, we know you can get it done, go prove it.
MoMoney717

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Leftwitch and would love him as Ben's backup for years to come.

That being said I lost alot of respest for Jack Del Rio with this move. Im by no means a Jags fan but I was under the impression that they knew what Gerrard was capable of having finished off the last couple of years while Leftwitch has never been healthy enough to showcase his full talents. I think Byron is better then Gerrard either way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only thing is the coach never should have said from the beginning that Leftwich was his starter. He should have made it a open competion which would have been fair to both guys

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
terrioZero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this should certainly prove to be interesting. But Welcome to the Brohm Closet haha.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: