Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3 veteran WRs on the trade block?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JIllg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
All 3 guys have played with pretty average to bad QB's over their careers.

A few teams could make HUGE WR upgrades by picking 1 of these guys up, 49ers, Eagles, Browns, Vikings...

I don't agree with this statement as of right now. Arnaz Battle had some of the best hands in the league last year according to his drop percentages, blocks well, and is coming off of a great camp and end to last year. Darrell Jackson was aquired for a reason, and has been meshing well with Alex as a number one option. Ashley Lelie has been great in preseason after having a bit of an injury plagued camp, and the biggest surprise of all has been Taylor Jacobs who is pushing Lelie for the slot role in the offense with his tremendous camp (although he notably shined at camps for the Redskins and failed in games). Even more importantly, the team likely won't be investing much more into its receivers because of the freakish talent of Vernon Davis. With Frank Gore off of the field during camp, Vernon was the most impressive player by far, and with the improvements that Alex Smith has shown (especially in the first two preseason games when the gameplan included throwing the football instead of running it when we don't have a capable back), the offense as a whole should be deadly this season without the addition of another receiver late into the mix. The defense on the other hand is a different story. The front line hasn't played together... the scheme is still new and pieces are still gelling, and the bottom line is that it's just not working defensively.

To make a long story short, we've already had to cut one promising receiver this offseason and the depth at that position is the best that we've had in years. We're not in the market as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it is for a player (IE a QB to Tampa as they dont really have many Wink ) i dont want the Raiders to get involved as we are already down our 3rd and 5th this draft.[/code]

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JIllg wrote:

I don't agree with this statement as of right now. Arnaz Battle had some of the best hands in the league last year according to his drop percentages, blocks well, and is coming off of a great camp and end to last year. Darrell Jackson was aquired for a reason, and has been meshing well with Alex as a number one option. Ashley Lelie has been great in preseason after having a bit of an injury plagued camp, and the biggest surprise of all has been Taylor Jacobs who is pushing Lelie for the slot role in the offense with his tremendous camp (although he notably shined at camps for the Redskins and failed in games). Even more importantly, the team likely won't be investing much more into its receivers because of the freakish talent of Vernon Davis. With Frank Gore off of the field during camp, Vernon was the most impressive player by far, and with the improvements that Alex Smith has shown (especially in the first two preseason games when the gameplan included throwing the football instead of running it when we don't have a capable back), the offense as a whole should be deadly this season without the addition of another receiver late into the mix. The defense on the other hand is a different story. The front line hasn't played together... the scheme is still new and pieces are still gelling, and the bottom line is that it's just not working defensively.

To make a long story short, we've already had to cut one promising receiver this offseason and the depth at that position is the best that we've had in years. We're not in the market as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly man, i think your reaching a bit. I think the 49ers will be good this year, but because of their WR's? No.

Jackson
Battle
Leilie

Point is, those guys would be an upgrade over your 3rd WR, and possibly your 2nd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
panther dude

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BM#4 wrote:
If this is true then come on chambers to the panthers. Very Happy

id like it but what would we give for him? Think

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I mentioned in the Eagles forum, I wouldn’t mind the Eagles offering a 4th round pick for Chris Chambers (a Pro-Bowler couple season ago), even though the Eagles don’t usually bring in players with off the field issues. Man McNabb will be the happiest person on earth if we actually made that move. Laughing

TommyC376 on the Sig
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
I think Reggie Williams has some talent, I'd take a shot after him.
Reggie Williams has serious talent. He's just not in the right system.

I said in the NFL General Forum, any team that gives up anything more than a sixth round pick for Chris Chambers should be shot in the head. The most overrated receiver in the NFL, bar none. He really is bad. When you get thrown to 134 times in a season and can only manage to record 59 receptions, that's bad. He had the worst YPA, SYPA, and Success Percentage in the entire league last season. He's bad at all levels; no other way around it. He's bad when faced with press coverage and he's bad when faced with a soft cushion. He dropped nine accurate passes last season. One of those would have been a touchdown. He dropped fourteen total passes last year. That's 10.5% of the total passes that he saw last season. He broke up just one interception last year. Granted, he hasn't always had the best quarterbacks to get him the ball. But he still hasn't produced more than twice in his career. He just can't get it done nor hold onto the damn ball. He's dropped like 40 passes in the last three seasons. He's been just plain awful.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenMVP wrote:
BirdsFan06050 wrote:
I think Reggie Williams has some talent, I'd take a shot after him.
Reggie Williams has serious talent. He's just not in the right system.

I said in the NFL General Forum, any team that gives up anything more than a sixth round pick for Chris Chambers should be shot in the head. The most overrated receiver in the NFL, bar none. He really is bad. When you get thrown to 134 times in a season and can only manage to record 59 receptions, that's bad. He had the worst YPA, SYPA, and Success Percentage in the entire league last season. He's bad at all levels; no other way around it. He's bad when faced with press coverage and he's bad when faced with a soft cushion. He dropped nine accurate passes last season. One of those would have been a touchdown. He dropped fourteen total passes last year. That's 10.5% of the total passes that he saw last season. He broke up just one interception last year. Granted, he hasn't always had the best quarterbacks to get him the ball. But he still hasn't produced more than twice in his career. He just can't get it done nor hold onto the damn ball. He's dropped like 40 passes in the last three seasons. He's been just plain awful.

I agree with you 100%. Chambers is massivley overrated and anyone who offers more then that is crazy.

Williams on the other hand I might consider throwing a 5th round pick at. Especially with the Eagles, I think he could thrive here, but I like all of our receivers better then Williams, besides Greg Lewis. And considering Williams salary, I doubt they go after him. Some team should though.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
Night Angel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I dont think the Niners need him, I would love to have Chris Chambers. I dont think he has been given a fair shot in Miami as they have gone from bad QB to even worse. My friend is a Dolphins fan and I always wish well for them because of it, but I cant remember them making a smart move at QB ever since Dan Marino left. Moves that include trading away a 2nd rounder for A.J. Feeley, trading away a 2nd rounder for the often injured Daunte Culpepper, trading away a 5th rounder (could turn into a 4th if he meets certain stats) for a 37 year old QB coming off a serious concussion which knocked him out for much of last season. Then using their 2nd rounder on a 26 year old QB. Usually takes about 3 years for a QB to adjust to the pros, so he will be a real contender about the age of 29. And these are just the moves of recent years. I really think Chambers has a whole lot of potential, but hasnt had a QB that can get him the ball. It is probably in his best interest for a new team as next year Beck will likely start and he will have to wait awhile til he can become a top WR again.
Hopper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
All 3 guys have played with pretty average to bad QB's over their careers.

A few teams could make HUGE WR upgrades by picking 1 of these guys up, 49ers, Eagles, Browns, Vikings...

I wouldn't say huge because there's a reason these three guys are on the trade block.

http://lokutusost.ufouni.cz/filmmusic/beltrami/_AJ/
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 3 are better then the Vikings, 49ers and Browns number 2 receiver.

I'd say that would be a huge addition for this time of year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eaglesfan536890

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all some pretty decent WR's. Even though they really haven't done anything. Chambers did nothing last year. Williams and Clayton haven't worked out either. I could see them getting dealt.

ryknowssd on the sig
Bird Watch: Brodrick Bunkley
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if Clayton is cut I hope Atlanta signs him to be our #5 at worst.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Vikings4life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
if Clayton is cut I hope Atlanta signs him to be our #5 at worst.

no reciever wants to play with harrington. not to be rude or anything.
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton's name has been speculated by several Denver beat writers as a guy who could possibly end up in Denver. I'm all for Reggie Williams or Clayton coming to Denver, and I see us making a run at someone. If we could get a young receiver with talent to add to Marshall and Walker, it eliminates WR as a huge need next year on draft day, and we can really go after some other positions.

Chambers is horrid, but I'm surprised Miami is looking to dump him off so soon. That, to me, shows some kind of faith in Ginn and his abilities, given limited playing time. Then again, Miami is making interesting moves that no one has expected, so I guess it's not out of the realm of possiblity.

Clayton I always fel, had serious talent but there was always a QB carousel in TB and he never got a proper chance. Look at his breakout season. He had 80 rec, 1193 yards, and 7 TDs. He's capable of that production, just not when Gradkowski, Griese, and Simms are throwing to you.

Reggie Williams certainly never got a fair shake. Granted he was a bit of a reach in the draft in my mind, he still never really got the credit he deserved. Last year he had a decent year. He's a physical receiver and I see him getting nabbed immedatiely.

Chambers is a bum. I don't know what else I can say. He and Plaxico are two of the more overrated receivers in the game. He drops the ball, ALOT, and he lost effectiveness for a team that, I think, was counting on him to anchor them.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's such a small chance that any one of these guys is traded.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: