Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sean Taylor absent from sping camp!!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Campbelltomoss


Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 1653
Location: Fedex Field
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Sean Taylor absent from sping camp!! Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8480775

what do you guys think will happen with him!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Taylor-36 Portis-26


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 2163
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll realize how stupid he is for wanting a new contract and be there in july or august.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sootedpair


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 2188
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that there's two options

The Anquan Boldin/Javon Walker route

or

The TO route

I hope he reads the news, and realizes that the teams aren't putting up with this crap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
inkwell


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 549
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Gibbs and Portis, his absence is not about the contract. Portis says he is "burnt out" on football. Gibbs says the guy wont return phone calls but the Redskins "cap specialist" (there is a title I wouldnt want on my resume!) has been to miami to talk to Rosenhaus and the absence has nothing to do with contract or money

uh huh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
e16bball


Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 14993
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwell wrote:
According to Gibbs and Portis, his absence is not about the contract. Portis says he is "burnt out" on football. Gibbs says the guy wont return phone calls but the Redskins "cap specialist" (there is a title I wouldnt want on my resume!) has been to miami to talk to Rosenhaus and the absence has nothing to do with contract or money

uh huh


You wouldn't want to have "Redskins Cap Specialist" on your resume? I would love it.

Just think about it. Look at the massive amount of signings we make, and the apparent overpaying that we do. And yet, I can't look back and think of a situation during Snyder's tenure in which we were truly in this devastating cap hell that everyone believes we are destined for. Sure, we've had to cut a guy or two over the years, but who hasn't?

Our cap guy must be awesome, because he has kept us out of big trouble for some time despite our less than frugal spending habits. He should get a medal for covering up for all our mistakes.

That said, I think Sean had better get over this "being burnt out on football" idea in a hurry. If he had a legitimate reason for doing it, like trying to make sure his maximizes his earnings so as to guarantee his future, then I could see him missing these things. But its his job, dammit, and we pay him to do it. I can't really just skip work and let my boss know I was burnt out on waiting tables. Still, I think he will get over this soon enough. It seems a bit like what is going on with Chappelle. He got a ton of money, and he's just adjusting to the new lifestyle, and the new ways in which people treat him and act around him. Hopefully he will get comfortable with it soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
inkwell


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 549
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they let two outstanding starters go who they did not at the time have replacements for. Sounds like cap problems to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sootedpair


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 2188
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwell wrote:
they let two outstanding starters go who they did not at the time have replacements for. Sounds like cap problems to me.


Smoot wanted more money than the #1 CB, and they said they'd pay hime the same money as Springs. Minny paid him more. They could have signed him for the offer that Minny gave him, but said all along that they wouldn't pay him more than Springs.

The money Pierce was getting was based on one season of play. You'd be in here taking shots at the Skins had they signed him to a big contract based on one season. For all we know, Pierce was a product of the defensive system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
inkwell


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 549
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sootedpair wrote:
inkwell wrote:
they let two outstanding starters go who they did not at the time have replacements for. Sounds like cap problems to me.


Smoot wanted more money than the #1 CB, and they said they'd pay hime the same money as Springs. Minny paid him more. They could have signed him for the offer that Minny gave him, but said all along that they wouldn't pay him more than Springs.

The money Pierce was getting was based on one season of play. You'd be in here taking shots at the Skins had they signed him to a big contract based on one season. For all we know, Pierce was a product of the defensive system.


We can both rationalize the facts to fit our own view. That is natural. I know that many teams overpay to keep their own players. You call Springs their number one CB and yet he was only here proving it for one year. He was alaways a good but not quite what people expected CB til last year. So if Pierce did it one year and it might be the system, the same could be said about Springs. I stand by what I said. They wanted both players back. They did not have healthy, sure thing replacements for either of them when they lost them. And now, I believe, after the signing of Holdman (which I applaud, I like him) I dont think they have room to sign their entire draft class under the cap. All of this combines to indicate to me that they are in the midst of cap probs. They are paying an ungodly amount to players not on their roster. They are paying a crazy amount to a failed experiment at QB. The braintrust said a year ago that they had a three year plan. If that plan meant losing a couple starters a year because you cant pay them, then i guess they were right. They are not alone in cap hell of course. Lots of teams are. I dont know who are free agents next year. I dont know who will have to be cut or restructured to sign the rookies if i am indeed correct about their cap status now. They will have to eat Brunell's number soon. I dont know the effect of cutting Barrow. I do know that most teams are trying NOT to make thier cost cuts after June 1 in order to clear the cap and not drag out bad contracts but the Skins are not in a position to do that. We shall see if they are managing the cap or just putting off paying the piper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sootedpair


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 2188
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwell wrote:
We can both rationalize the facts to fit our own view. That is natural.

I'm not rationalizing anything, what I said about Smoot is what the team said when he got their original proposal. That was long before he was even on the market.
inkwell wrote:
I know that many teams overpay to keep their own players. You call Springs their number one CB and yet he was only here proving it for one year. He was alaways a good but not quite what people expected CB til last year. So if Pierce did it one year and it might be the system, the same could be said about Springs.

I disagree about Springs. I've always considered him to be one of the top CBs, but he just had some injury problems.
inkwell wrote:
I stand by what I said. They wanted both players back. They did not have healthy, sure thing replacements for either of them when they lost them. And now, I believe, after the signing of Holdman (which I applaud, I like him) I dont think they have room to sign their entire draft class under the cap. All of this combines to indicate to me that they are in the midst of cap probs. They are paying an ungodly amount to players not on their roster. They are paying a crazy amount to a failed experiment at QB. The braintrust said a year ago that they had a three year plan. If that plan meant losing a couple starters a year because you cant pay them, then i guess they were right. They are not alone in cap hell of course. Lots of teams are. I dont know who are free agents next year. I dont know who will have to be cut or restructured to sign the rookies if i am indeed correct about their cap status now. They will have to eat Brunell's number soon. I dont know the effect of cutting Barrow. I do know that most teams are trying NOT to make thier cost cuts after June 1 in order to clear the cap and not drag out bad contracts but the Skins are not in a position to do that. We shall see if they are managing the cap or just putting off paying the piper.

It was pretty much known that Gardner would be gone, which gives them the cap space to cover their rookie pool. Barrow being cut after June 1 saves them about 1.5 million this year and about the same next year. The Coles cap hit really hurt, without it we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.


Last edited by sootedpair on Wed May 18, 2005 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Taylor-36 Portis-26


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 2163
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwell wrote:
they let two outstanding starters go who they did not at the time have replacements for. Sounds like cap problems to me.

Two outstanding players? No way is Smoot outstanding, his first 3 years here were nothing to brag about and only last season which happened to be a contract year where he was surrounded by talent did he step his game up. I don't call that outstanding.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
inkwell


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 549
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call it what you will. My point is that we are both looking at the same facts and seeing it the way we want to. I frankly dont care what this management team says about anyone. They have been caught lying so many times already they cant be trusted if they say the grass is green and the sky is blue. After Cerrato claimed to be misquoted on his own team website, it has become a joke.

Springs always had outstanding talent but never showed it consistently; yes injuries contributed to that. But fact is he has shown the production he showed last year only once, last year. Now they need that production for 16 games because behind him are a rookie, albeit a very good rookie and a veteran with chronic knee issues that make it hard to count on him for 16 games of full time duty and then a bunch of unknowns. Will they save money by cutting Gardner? He doesnt have unpaid years going forward that get accelerated? I ask because I dont know but it is not always true that they save money by cutting someone. And Barrow will be counting against the cap this year and next year and likely wont be on the team either year. My point was that teams NOT in cap hell have learned to eat all of that THIS year instead of carrying forward the hit of someone not contributing on the field. Because the Skins cant afford the 3M hit, they will carry forward that problem. Coles is just one situation like that. Of course Coles is probably glad that Snyder and his big fat mouth have already paid for that TV the boy blunder told Coles he would be watching this year. Coles joins Deion Sanders as players who played the idiot midget like a drum. Took his money and left him holding his tiny **** in his hand. Without the Brunell fiasco we wouldnt be having this discussion, either. Point is that your team IS paying for all those mishandled situations. And again, I am not saying they are the only ones. As a Colts fan I know what it is like to be up against the cap so tight you cant squeak a backup LB onto the roster. But if we have to be up against the cap, I would rather be a Super Bowl contender trying to fine tune a roster than a lousy team trying hard to improve drastically.

And I do think Smoot was outstanding. I think he improved every year and while he isnt a top cover corner like Champ, he is an outstanding CB, who will probably be better in another system than the Skins. He would be a fantastic zone guy IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Taylor-36 Portis-26


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 2163
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back to the point of Taylor missing workouts here's an article about it from Warpathinsiders:
http://redskins.scout.com/2/380087.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sootedpair


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 2188
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwell wrote:
Will they save money by cutting Gardner? He doesnt have unpaid years going forward that get accelerated? I ask because I dont know but it is not always true that they save money by cutting someone. And Barrow will be counting against the cap this year and next year and likely wont be on the team either year.

This is the last year of Gardner's contract, his bonus ($1.1 million) counts against the cap whether he's here or not. We'd save almost $2.1 million in salary.

If Barrow is cut after June 1, he'll count $416,000 against this year and $1.666 million next year. The net savings is about $1.7 million both this year and next.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group