Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Turner has High Ankle Sprain
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another "guy with experience"... am I the only person who played with ankle sprains?
blitzking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
As another "guy with experience"... am I the only person who played with ankle sprains?

With a grade I, it's possible, especially if you use an ankle brace. Even taped ankles would help. With a grade II or grade III, the ankle isn't stable and is unable to weight bear.

Often, with severe sprains, once the ligaments have healed and swelling has reduced, patients will have limited dorsal movement in the ankle, and it may take another week or two of rehab to get that back. You can play with the ankle, but there is a much higher chance of re-injury. So, it's best to wait until you've got your range of motion back.

They're now saying it's not that bad, meaning it's probably a grade I sprain, and I would expect 2-3ish weeks to heal enough for him to play, likely with an ankle brace. Hard to tell with the limited information though...
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:

I'm positive you never played with a high ankle sprain.
blitzking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagz4life wrote:
kenney wrote:

I'm positive you never played with a high ankle sprain.

Again, if it's a grade I, with a brace and some pain killers, it's more than possible. Not a smart thing to do, as the damage you can cause is not worth it, but...

I think the problem here is people not realizing the difference between a slight sprain and a bad sprain. Stretched ligaments and completely torn ligaments -- Big difference.

Also, kenney, there is a big difference between an ankle sprain (your everyday rolling the foot inwards) and a high ankle sprain. The ligaments are a lot bigger and recovery time is almost twice as long. With a high ankle sprain, if there is any tearing of the ligament at all (not just stretching), then at the very least the patient will be in an air cast for around 5-6 weeks. If there's enough damage that the ankle is unstable, surgery may be required, and that can mean 3-4 months before the ankle is healed enough to not have to worry about the screw breaking.
KB20

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get well soon Turner, you will be missed. Sproles has played well in the preseason though and will be useful for 5-10 carries a game with Turner out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: