Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Russel "secretly" doesn't want to play for Oakland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nopussycat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Room Slayer wrote:
Nopussycat wrote:
If he did say something to that affect it's probably frustration. He is going to be a Raider and it will happen sometime this season. It just goes to show how inept the Raiders organization has become. He isn't asking for anything that hasn't been given to the number one pick before. If Al Davis wasn't such a nut job now, the Raiders wouldn't be picking first.

Priot to the draft, I think it was during the combine, Russel said to an interviewer in response to the question "Does it matter to you that you may go first in the draft?" by saying, "Whoever gives me the most money."
This told me he was clearly driven by money, which is fine to some degree. I'd want top dollar, too. But to demand a guaranteed $12-15M more than what the #1 pick got just 2 years ago is just plain greedy.

As for Al Davis, he and his front office have never been unwilling to pay the necessary dollars to bring in players, so to call this whole travesty a problem directly related to the fault of the Raiders ability to do business is ignorant.

I would hasten to say that every Owner/President in the league is happy, if not thrilled, that the Raiders are taking a stance on this runaway train. Otherwise, the top pick will be demanding $50 in guarantees by 2010.
This needs to be stamped out immediately or else the precedent of the #1 getting $6M more than the guy a year before ( without every handling a snap ) will become the norm.

Guess what Pussycat...this will equal higher ticket prices, higher parking prices ( because $25 a game is already such a bargain ), higher cable television prices, you'll pay more for your beer, Coke, and fast food. Many of us will have to cancel Direct TV when it becomes $400 a season.

And Nick, you and I both know what Al Davis has done for this league. And anyone older than 30 knows that he has done more for the NFL than any owner in the league since its inception.
Calling him random names because it's funny is for non fans who have only seen him in his luxury box with his eclectic outfits.

It's been a tough run the last 4 years, and it's easy for the newbies to laugh at us ( and hard for me to defend ) but the history of the Raiders is only bettered by a handful of teams.

We'll be back.

I know how Al Davis has changed the game on and off the football field. I respect him as a pioneer. The salary cap era hasn't been his finest era. All the old school Raiders fans know he is a little bit crazy and outlandish, and you guys are okay with that. The issue is Al is trying to bulldog the system and the players voted on this crappy CBA that gives these rookies this insane amount of money and power. I hope Al wins. I don't know if he will though. I hope the players agree to a set rookie salary cap like the NBA.

Sig by Spartan4Life

The Lions can't suck forever,right?
Nopussycat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you have to admit it was foolish to hire Art Shell after being out of football for five years which is a HUGE reason why you were picking first.

Sig by Spartan4Life

nickdawg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nopussycat wrote:
Nick, I agree with you and the Raiders on this point. I merely feel the ineptitude on the Raiders part was to not see this coming and we all know Jamarcus is a risky pick as is far as he has had some trouble with conditioning. They knew this is the guy they wanted even if they were using Quinn and Johnson as smoke screens and bargaining tools. You can't tell me that the Raiders hadn't looked at Smith's contract and didn't have any idea. I merely playing the devil's advocate by saying that if Russell's representation doesn't get a "better" deal than Alex Smith than they will never get a possible No. 1 again. By losing this type of bonus every future first pick will be missing out on ALOT of REAL guaranteed money.

Here's the thing....we don't know to what extent money was discussed. What I've been reading so far is that the Russell camp wanted $31M in guarantees, to which the Raiders (read: Al Davis) said sure, on the stipulation that there was no option bonus. At which point, the Russell camp insisted that the option bonus be maximized, or the guaranteed money is now in excess of $35-$36M.

What if all the discussions leading up to the Draft (like I think) were simply preliminary discussions in which just dollar amounts were discussed?

His work ethic was one of the big reasons that I was against taking him, aside from the huge bust potential, and the fact that we could take a "once in a lifetime" player in Calvin Johnson. But, it wasn't my call, and now it's something everyone involved must live with...

Nopussycat wrote:
And you have to admit it was foolish to hire Art Shell after being out of football for five years which is a HUGE reason why you were picking first.

I will never, EVER, argue that.

Yeah, it was a mistake for Davis to fire Shell after the '94 season. Yeah, Davis even called it "one of his biggest mistakes." But you don't make up for it 12 years later by making him a head coach again.
Nopussycat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickdawg wrote:
Nopussycat wrote:
Nick, I agree with you and the Raiders on this point. I merely feel the ineptitude on the Raiders part was to not see this coming and we all know Jamarcus is a risky pick as is far as he has had some trouble with conditioning. They knew this is the guy they wanted even if they were using Quinn and Johnson as smoke screens and bargaining tools. You can't tell me that the Raiders hadn't looked at Smith's contract and didn't have any idea. I merely playing the devil's advocate by saying that if Russell's representation doesn't get a "better" deal than Alex Smith than they will never get a possible No. 1 again. By losing this type of bonus every future first pick will be missing out on ALOT of REAL guaranteed money.

Here's the thing....we don't know to what extent money was discussed. What I've been reading so far is that the Russell camp wanted $31M in guarantees, to which the Raiders (read: Al Davis) said sure, on the stipulation that there was no option bonus. At which point, the Russell camp insisted that the option bonus be maximized, or the guaranteed money is now in excess of $35-$36M.

What if all the discussions leading up to the Draft (like I think) were simply preliminary discussions in which just dollar amounts were discussed?

His work ethic was one of the big reasons that I was against taking him, aside from the huge bust potential, and the fact that we could take a "once in a lifetime" player in Calvin Johnson. But, it wasn't my call, and now it's something everyone involved must live with...

Nopussycat wrote:

I will never, EVER, argue that.

Yeah, it was a mistake for Davis to fire Shell after the '94 season. Yeah, Davis even called it "one of his biggest mistakes." But you don't make up for it 12 years later by making him a head coach again.

I guess we agree for the most part. We don't know the exact situation going on. If it's Jamarcus and his representation wanting 25 million in other types of guaruntees and wanting this now infamous 2nd year option bonus(which is pretty much a given he'll make it to his second year) and the total monies are around 30-31 millions in guarantees, and Al Davis doesn't want to pay it because he couldn't recoup it if there was a problem, then Jamarcus and his people have a legitmate grip. If Jarmarcus is asking that this option bonus take him to 35-36 million in guarantees then that is crazy and stupid. They say they are 5 million dollars apart? Is that in total guarantees or are they arguing over how the 5 million dollar option bonus is going to be paid?

Sig by Spartan4Life

nickdawg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nopussycat wrote:
I guess we agree for the most part. We don't know the exact situation going on. If it's Jamarcus and his representation wanting 25 million in other types of guaruntees and wanting this now infamous 2nd year option bonus(which is pretty much a given he'll make it to his second year) and the total monies are around 30-31 millions in guarantees, and Al Davis doesn't want to pay it because he couldn't recoup it if there was a problem, then Jamarcus and his people have a legitmate grip. If Jarmarcus is asking that this option bonus take him to 35-36 million in guarantees then that is crazy and stupid. They say they are 5 million dollars apart? Is that in total guarantees or are they arguing over how the 5 million dollar option bonus is going to be paid?

As far as I know, the main gripe is that Russell wants a maximized option bonus, whereas Al Davis wants none. If Russell concedes to no option bonus, then he wants more guaranteed coin.

Mind you, that's as far as I know/what I've gathered on the situation...
War Room Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nopussycat wrote:

I thought hiring Shell was going to be good because we needed some serious discipline...unfortuneately Shell wielded his power to the point of losing respect of the veterans...it's a different game than 12 years ago and Shell learned the hard way.
Discipline is good when used respectfully, Shell seemed to not understand that...and hiring Tom "Bed & Breakfast" sure didn't help things, either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: