Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ideal Fit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike7682

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Ideal Fit Reply with quote

Tell me what you guys think, below is what I think Andy Reid should do come draft.

1st round- Snag Elton Brown with 1st round pick-lets assume he falls to us
2nd round- Pick up another G/T prospect, I like Marcus Johnson
Note- these two guys could possibly move to T, either way, they're top OL picks and can benefit us several years down the road, besides, do you really think Ronnie Brown is going to fall that far down?!

TRADE Corey Simon and our 2nd rounder to the Bengals for their 2nd Round Pick
Bengals 2nd Round- pick up a top DT prospect, I like Haloti Ngata!

3 rounder from KC- pick up the best available RB- I'm thinking Arrington, he can take touches away from Westy and we're in no rush to get rid of Buckhalter, might as well keep him b/c he's not gonna get a better deal from another team.

Our 3 rounder- Snag a WR, i'm hoping Roddy White, if not, someone with some speed who can substitute for Pinkston and be a deep threat.

4th and 5th round- UNLOAD ON LINEBACKERS!!!!!!!!! People often forget that starting linebackers from teams like the Steelers and Ravens have players that were selected in the 4th and 5th rounds.

the remainder, fill in depth at other positions!

Also, during FA......

Pick up Kendrell Bell from the Steelers, he can be a difference maker and help shape the rookie linebackers! Also, pick up a veteran WR to completment TO and help groom the younger guys.

And that my friend is the recipe for a dynasty football team.
PhillyFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are u hoping we dont resign trotter to take a younger injury prone LB?

You all know how i feel on drafting lineman this year high so i wont bother.

just out of curiosity which reciever would u like to get in FA????
mike7682

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

sorry I didn't make myself clear, resign Trotter, I think everybody knows they need to do that. As for FA WR, we could easily go for Travis Taylor, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, or Tai Streets, someone who is decently young and can catch the [inappropriate/removed] ball. Also, I really don't think you need to have another TO out there, McNabb can spread the ball w/o 2 super star WR, its just important to have someone else who can catch the ball and who is reliable incase TO is injured again.

As for your feelings on OL, why not pick up Elton Brown now when we have a chance? There may not be another prospect like him next year or a year when we need a pro bowl G. We have two very early picks in this draft, if both Ronnie and Elton Brown fall to us, I say grab them. If not, grab another bad [inappropriate/removed] G who can tweek to T later on. The RB value is very high this draft so unless its Ronnie or C. Williams, I say look for the early 3rd round to get a RB. And unless its Derek Johnson, why for the love of christ would you draft a linebacker so high?
mike7682

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Also Reply with quote

Why are you so adamant on trading up for a WR or LB? Two things, one with McNabb, Owens and Westy out there, we have a lot of sick weapons for teams to deal with, did you watch the game against Greenbay? Second, Jim Johnson is the man, just give the man a fast LB who actually has some goddamn weight to him and he'll be happy. Again, historically there has been many quality LB taken in the later rounds- check out the Steelers depth chart. Also, surely the team will need some young talent at WR for TO to groom and hopefully be his replacement, however, do you honestly think we can only get this talent in the 1st and 2nd rounds? Did you forget TO was drafted in the 3rd round -89th overall? The guy was drafted behind Terry Glenn, Alex Van Dykye?, Bobby Engram and a few other inferior wide outs.
PhillyFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only insisted we trade up for Braylon if he begins to slip say past the cowboys at #11, because then we will not need to address WR again for many years.

although if hes taken in the top 10 i think we should stay at our pick and hope Ronnie Brown falls to us and yes alright ill agree with you, we should get Elton Brown at the top of round 2.

who do you think we would get at the end of round 2 then???

also if we get Kendrell Bell are u proposing we move him into the SLB spot and move Jones to the WLB spot?? sounds like a decent idea and we would have some good run stopping Lb's now except Bell is abit injury prone.

i think travis taylor is a decent reciever and would be an upgrade over pinkston IMO, just the fact hes had to play for Baltimore could be why he hasnt reached his potential because their QB isnt excatly the best, and opposing defenses dont need to worry about him as much because they run the ball 70% of the time.

alright if we got a decent reciever like Travis Taylor i wouldnt neccesarily want to trade up so badly Razz but then we would be stuck with pinkston or i think we should release him. then if FredX still wants out of philly we could package him with some picks and move into an earlier position, or for a pick next year, like we did with welbourn.

Still in FA i want to go after Darren Howard because then we would have a legitimate pass rusher opposite Kearse to let him play his game and stop being double teamed every play. Kearse and Howard would open up big plays for eachother and i think it should be seriously considered.

With all this said this is what our team should look like next year after the draft (assuming we keepy corey simon which we should)

Draft:
round1 - Ronnie Brown (RB)
round 2a - Elton Brown (OG)
round 2b - Michael Boley (OLB)
round 3a - Roddy White (WR)
round 3b - Chris Kemoeatu (OG)
round 4-7 - Alex Holmes (TE) Jason White (QB)....then whatever position needed

QB - Donovan McNabb, Jason White, Koy Detmer/Andy Hall
RB - Brian Westbrook, Ronnie Brown, Reno Mahe
FB - Jon Ritchie(resign), Parry(is ritchie not resigned), Tapeh
1WR- TO
2WR - Travis Taylor(FA)
3WR - Roddy White, Greg Lewis, Billy McMullen
TE - LJ Smith, Alex Holmes (Lewis wont be resigned) Mike Bartrum
LT - Tra Thomas, Trey Darilek(Hicks would play LT if Tra was injured)
LG - Artis Hicks, Steve Sciullo
C - Hank Fraley, Alonzo Ephraim
RG - Shawn Andrews, Elton Brown
RT - Jon Runyan, Chris Kemoeatu

LE - Jevon Kearse, ND Kalu, Jamaal Green
DT - Corey Simon(resigned), Hollis Thomas, Paul Grasmanis
DT - Darwin Walker, Sam Rayburn
RE - Darren Howard(FA), Jerome McDougle
WLB - Dhani Jones, Michael Boley
MLB - Jeremiah Trotter, Mark Simoneau
SLB - Kendrell Bell(FA), Ike Reese (resigned)
CB - Lito Sheppard, Rod Hood, Dexter Wynn
FS - Brian Dawkins, JR Reed
SS - Michael Lewis, Quentin Mikell
CB - Sheldon Brown, Matt Ware

K - David Akers
P - Dirk Johnson

Thats our complete 53 Man roster!

just my take on what we should draft, FA next year and our possible line-up, what do u all think?
liquid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elton Brown will probably be taken in the first round. do you have another opinion?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mike7682

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: good Reply with quote

Thats exactly what I like to see, I like the idea of Chris Kemoeatu in their as well. The only reason why I was talking about trading Corey Simon is b/c I thought he wasn't happy in philly, if thats so, we need to get something for him. However, if he stays, that would be ideal. As for another DE, I agree completly, the team should be getting way more sacks with Kearse out there. Hopefully this would push McDougle to work harder and help polish his game a bit as well. As for Elton Brown, its quite possible that if we don't grab him with our first pick, then someone like the Pats will get him. I would love to have both Browns out of this draft, but i'm content w/ Elton and Ciatrick Fason, I go to school at UF and I like what this guy can do. He can catch out of the back field as well as run from scrimmage, a bit smaller than Ronnie, but a lot of these guys tend to add some mass when it is required of them- al la Willis McGahee.
aafroe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we cant trade corey simon b/c he will not be under contract, and they could just sign him instead of giving anything up

we dont have exclusive rights to him or anything
mike7682

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: simon Reply with quote

If we francise tag him or transition tag him then yes we could get a trade out of him. However, if he wants to stay I say let him stay, if he doesn't, we ought to attempt to get something out of him.
liquid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a lot of money to give someone who has a weight problem and who has not dominated this season. I would let him walk and use the money elsewhere. If you could somehow franchise him and trade him for a pick or to of course I'd do that.

L
lastdodo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... corey scares me a little... but is it an obviuos ploy that he gained 40 lbs (not the good ones) this offseason? i've even heard the national guys speculate on it. I think he is trying to dodge the franchise tag. If so, i'd like like to resign him with the obligatory weight clause in the contract. We offered him a contract in the range of jenkins(who at the time was the #2 paid dt, and the best in terms of talent/performence) so it is interesting to see what effect the Rogers contract has on the negotiations. I hate sucky teams that overpay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: