Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboy Fans Imparticular
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mythodycle


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 279
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Cowboy Fans Imparticular Reply with quote

In light of the lack of number of interesting topics (IMO) and for the sake of my own meandering thoughts, I want to know for what reason area (By area, I mean the DMV (DC, Maryland, VA) area) have fallen over to the darkside.
This doesn't include those fans that root for them because they're their home team, but those that have never lived in Texas.
This is not limited to Cowboy fans, not even the NFC East teams, but in general. If you root for a team that would make no sense to a person that researched you and found out that you rooted for a team that you have no ties to geographically (in fact, geographically you should be rooting for a team that's considered your team's rivals). Fair weather fans, please limit your input as I see no possible reason to respect you as an NFL fan what so ever.

"But why name it that if it's not limited to Cowboy fans?"

Well, I live in the Maryland and I work in DC and I can't respect these Cowboy fans that show no basis for their inane allegiance. Not that I'm anybody of importance, but I just want to give you the chance to at least earn the respect of your rivals. Besides that, it's a question that I've wanted answered for the longest time and never got a plausible response.

While we're at it, Texas, Philly, and NY area 'Skins fans, stand up and let us know you're out there. I also heard there are a lot of skins fans in the Carolina and Florida area. How'd that become 'Skins country if anyone would care to explain.

Let's try and keep the criticism to a dull roar and please be respectful...
_________________
What's your side of it Question
Click Here!
_________________

Sean Taylor forever...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoxNats07


Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 10015
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I live in MA and I am a 'Skins fan. But I am mainly a Pats fan... but i am still a huge skins fan.
_________________


http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=416381&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

DON ZAGRU
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Mythodycle


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 279
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoxNats07 wrote:
Well, I live in MA and I am a 'Skins fan. But I am mainly a Pats fan... but i am still a huge skins fan.


Great, but for any particular reason?
_________________
What's your side of it Question
Click Here!
_________________

Sean Taylor forever...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cowboysfan1790


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 843
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Cowboys fan because that's the team I was given when I was born. My aunt was at that time (and still is) a 'Boys fan and my dad decided to give me that team. Two years later they began their dynasty of the 90's and I stuck with them through thick and thin, even "The Dark Years" when I know a lot of 'Boys "fans" who jumped ship. I don't like the Eagles, and I've never liked the 'Skins...while I do respect both organizations, I just don't like 'em. I'll be a Cowboys fan until I die, my children will be Cowboys fans and I hope it carries on down the years.
_________________

-Props to OchoCinco for the sig.
Quote:
The Chargers WILL win the Super Bowl this year.

I'm smarter than the average bear!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
SoxNats07


Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 10015
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythodycle wrote:
SoxNats07 wrote:
Well, I live in MA and I am a 'Skins fan. But I am mainly a Pats fan... but i am still a huge skins fan.


Great, but for any particular reason?


Mainly because a bunch of my favorite players play for the 'Skins (Clinton Portis, Sean Taylor). I kinda forget how I became a Skins fan... idc though, they're cool Very Happy
_________________


http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=416381&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

DON ZAGRU
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
rant67


Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 2975
Location: Dallas, TX
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I currently live in Dallas therefore I am a Cowboys fan. Soon I will be up north in Bristol.
_________________

To always be remembered...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
htfryar


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 10236
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from Arkansas. I am a Cowboys fan. When I was 3 years old, my mom bought me a satin Cowboys jacket for Christmas. I loved the big blue star on the jacket. When she would watch football, I always liked the guys with the big blue stars like the one on my jacket. Now 29 years later, I am an avid Cowboys fan and will bring up my son the same way.

My wife never really watched football before we started dating, but now she likes the Cowboys too. She likes them for 2 reasons.

1. She knows they are my favorite team.
2. She thinks Jason Witten is smoking hot, lol.
_________________


Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
acowboys62


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 10049
Location: NJ/Phila
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from New Jersey, in the heart of Giant land, and I go to school in Philly, the Heart of Eagle land...and I still am Cowboys to the day I die.

When I was young my first sports apparel was a Cowboys Jersey, so it just sort of stuck...not to mention my first word was touchdown...during a Cowboys game, so it was just pretty much fate.

I am sure it didn't hurt that as I began to grow up and understand football it was during the Cowboys reign on top, so the combination of early exposure to the Cowboys at such a young age and growing up during a great time for the franchise has led me to be the Cowboys fan I am today.

For all my sports I pretty much just root for what team my favorite players are on, and I never root for the local teams, so the Cowboys are just perfect for me due to the area I live and attend school.

Funny enough in school it was me and 3 other guys, I am a Cowboy fan, one was a Giants fan, one was a Redskins fan and one was an Eagle fan...we had the whole NFC East represented and it was pretty cool.
_________________
Quote:
"I'm going to demolish him. He understands that."
- Kobe Bean Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19390
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into an argument with one of my ex-girlfriends back in college on this topic. She asked why the Redskins, and I said that was what I was raised on.

She thought that was silly (she, having lived outside of Annapolis (sfLA: Arnold, specifically), was a big 49ers fan), as she wanted a team that won and was flashy. Enter the Niners of the Joe Montana/Jerry Rice era.

To be fair, she's stuck by the 49ers as her team ever since then, but she hasn't been rooting for them as much as she used to, for obvious reasons.

That being said, she's obviously loony (at least in this category). Wink

I suspect first and foremost, most fans will identify with the team that their relatives rooted for as a child (the "raise 'em right" theory), followed by geographic location (a lot of former Baltimore Colts turned Redskins/Steelers fans defected to the Ravens when the team moved there in '96), followed by the "star power" theory (big fan of [star] so followed that team).

However, whatever team makes that first major imprint, that is what stays with the person throughout their life ... barring a major change (my uncle was a big LA Rams fan ... I think he can now discuss Georgia Frontiere without frothing at the mouth (maybe)). It's possible that if Arthur Blank is not careful, the Falcons could see this sort of fallout. I suspect that he is well aware of that as from everything I have read and heard, Blank is a fan first and foremost.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thesickness89


Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 14387
Location: East Carolina University
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm....i think these 5 super bowl rings are heavy....just messing, i live in NJ and my dad is a huge cowboys fan...so naturally, i am now too
_________________


Judgement tiiiiiiiiiiiiiime
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
LIEY8


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 3045
Location: Paradise's Elsewhere
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad always has rooted for the underdog, and when the Cowboys came into the league in 1960, they were naturally the underdog, so that's how he started rooting for the Cowboys. Since he's a fan, I am as well.
_________________


Life Goes On
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shadow walker


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 11859
Location: Virginia Beach
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i group up in VA for ten years and loved america's team because my older bro was a skins fan.
_________________

one of the great ones on this site
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blknite01


Joined: 09 Jan 2005
Posts: 13777
Location: Apopka, FL
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Skins fan and I have never even been no where near the Maryland, DC, Virginia area of the Unites States Smile
_________________
I'd rather get gunned down than dumb'd down
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Mythodycle


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 279
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadow walker wrote:
i group up in VA for ten years and loved america's team because my older bro was a skins fan.


It's funny because my oldest brother is a Cowboys fan (never been to dallas in his life) and he claims he did it to spite my parents. I forget what game it was specifically, but he explains that my parents and their friends (mostly Metropolitan Police Department) were all watching the 'skins and 'boys go at it. It had to have been back in the '70's or '80s. The 'skins were getting the best of'em and he was the wise @$$ kid, "They can still come back and win..." (not because he was a fan, but just to be facetious). Lo and behold, they came back and one. My bro teased them and my mom gave him the @$$ whoopin of his life and then punished him. Every since then, he routed for the "team with the blue star on the helmet". Rolling Eyes

He and I go at it constantly.

On a side note, when you respond make sure you put where you are from. As in, if you met someone tomorrow and they asked where you're from, where would you say?
_________________
What's your side of it Question
Click Here!
_________________

Sean Taylor forever...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mythodycle


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 279
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blknite01 wrote:
I am a Skins fan and I have never even been no where near the Maryland, DC, Virginia area of the Unites States Smile


Are you in that part of the 'Skins' country that I asked about in the original question? How/Why'd you become a skins fan???
_________________
What's your side of it Question
Click Here!
_________________

Sean Taylor forever...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group