Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Troy Polamalu close to contract extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:
Tomlin seems like an "if it aint broke, don't fix it" type of guy to me.

In Minnesota he was more of a, "Even if it's broke, I'm not fixing it" kind of coach. He knows the Tampa 2 defense and only the Tampa 2 defense, and he doesn't adjust away from it even when he needed to.

Well, who was going to provide him another option in Minnesota? Now he's working with - LeBeau and seeing how other schemes work.

Beside, was it really going to make a difference last year? It doesn't matter what coverage scheme you run in the 4-3 -- if your defensive front four can't pressure the quarterback, then your DBs are toast. Even if he switched up to a more conventional 4-3, the results would've been the same. Quarterback gets all day to throw, receivers eventually get open.

I take it you didn't like the hire. (Or, since you are a Ravens fan, you did.) Time will tell whether he's the right man for the job. I like what I've seen and heard so far and since I don't have any other options, I'm going to cheer for him.

If the front 4 can't get pressure, then you can blitz the linebackers more frequently to try to create some pressure. The Tampa 2 is pretty much premised on the front 4 creating pressure, so if they can't, there's not much point in running it.

As for me liking the hire, I'm kind of indifferent. I think Tomlin is the right kind of person for the job, when talking about team chemistry, motivation, and all that locker room stuff, which is important. And I think as long as LeBeau is in Pittsburgh to run the defense, the Steelers will be fine. But I still question Tomlin's X's and O's and his ability to call plays, and so once LeBeau is gone, I think it will definitely be a huge challenge for Tomlin to keep things running smoothly.

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I buy the idea that EJ Henderson, Ben Leber and Napoleon Harris would've made such a big difference had they been blitzing.

In 2005 before Tomlin arrived, the Vikings ranked 22 with 34 sacks. In 2006 with the Tampa 2, the Vikings ranked 25th with 30 sacks. Sounds like its just a bad pass rushing team to me.

I don't think Tomlin will ever be in the position where he's calling plays. Even if LeBeau does retire, the Steelers will hire another DC. That's when we'll have our answer.
BigBen7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When LeBeau retires I hope we look at Romeo Crennel as his replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great that Troys close to an extension. As much as some rivals dislike him, he is truly one of the good guys in the NFL.

As for the tampa 2, I dont buy it. You lock up a safety who's weak point is deep half and better suited to be in the box? Its reported everywhere that Tomlin prefers 43 and Steelers are transitioning, but in reality he is 34 years old and has never been exposed to the scheme. Under the tutelage of LeBeau I think his eyes will be opened and he's stated he already realizes the personnel just isnt there to make the switch.

To run a successful 43 defense, as we all know, you need dominating DT's who can stop the run and create inside pressure. The Steelers do not have these guys and didnt attempt to draft or sign any. Not only do you need starters, but you need a rotation. Not to mention DE's to created pressure. It would be a HUGE transition that would set the franchise back years in development. So its not happening.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers need to lock this guy up. He is a player that they need to keep on this defense bc he is a playmaker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: