Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Troy Polamalu close to contract extension
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Troy Polamalu close to contract extension Reply with quote

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07199/802384-66.stm

Quote:
Polamalu, 26, was born in California, grew up in Oregon and played at Southern California. There were rumors the past year that he would play his final season with the Steelers, then sign with a team on the West Coast.

Steelers fans call this the "Chad Brown scenario."

Anyway, it's good news for the Steelers (and their fans) if Polamalu re-ups early. For one, they retain a key fixture in their defense -- say what you want about Troy being over or under-rated, the fact remains that he's an integral part of the Steelers defense. When he was dinged up late last season (concussion, shoulder) the defense struggled mightily.

Another issue is that it shows team veterans that the franchise is willing to lock up guys long-term. This probably won't help Alan Faneca's resentment toward team management, but for other guys coming up on contract years it should give them a little better sense of security.
Night Angel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh, hmm, talk about REALLY mixed emotions. I am a Steelers fan after my Niners and Troy has been my favroite player on the Steelers for a little while now and was worried the Steelers might lose him. Then I saw the topic thread and was thinking this is great news, until I saw that he would likely sign on the west coast, which is where my Niners are, who are in need of a good safety and we have a lot of money to spend again next year. So Im confused on what I want to see happen next year. hmm
BigBen7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_517594.html

Quote:
"Pittsburgh is our home now," said Theodora Polamalu, 24, of Pine. "We spend nine months out of the year in Pittsburgh. We wanted to do something that would give back to the community but was also an institution we could trust."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Angel wrote:
uh, hmm, talk about REALLY mixed emotions. I am a Steelers fan after my Niners and Troy has been my favroite player on the Steelers for a little while now and was worried the Steelers might lose him. Then I saw the topic thread and was thinking this is great news, until I saw that he would likely sign on the west coast, which is where my Niners are, who are in need of a good safety and we have a lot of money to spend again next year. So Im confused on what I want to see happen next year. hmm

How can you have two favorite teams Shocked
You niner fans never make any sense...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4032056&sid=46043bada13909aa3b3823c562cb2514#4032056 CLICK THE LINK FOR MY LATEST MOCK DRAFT
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news for Pittsburgh fans. It sounds like Troy has really adapted to Pittsburgh, he just seems like a Steel City type guy.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Steelers' sake, I hope Troy Polamalu can stay relatively healthy once he gets his extension. Troy has suffered I think 5 concussions already in his career, a number that is alarmingly high and possibly puts Polamalu at risk to lead a fairly short career. The risks are there, but if Polamalu can stay healthy, then re-signing him is a coup. He's the most importnat piece of that defense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder how much sense it makes because I am not so sure he would be a good fit in a Cover-2 if Tomlin decides to go that route. He does not possess anywhere near the tackling skills necessary to be a SS in a cover 2. He is all over the field, but he refuses to wrap guys up and tends to bounce off of them after laying a hit.
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
mrpotamus wrote:
I just wonder how much sense it makes because I am not so sure he would be a good fit in a Cover-2 if Tomlin decides to go that route. He does not possess anywhere near the tackling skills necessary to be a SS in a cover 2. He is all over the field, but he refuses to wrap guys up and tends to bounce off of them after laying a hit.

The Steelers already play Cover 2, nearly 50% of the time according to - LeBeau.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_491036.html

As for your criticisms of Troy, I agree totally. That's my biggest complaint about his play, that he sometimes gets a bit out of control and misses tackles because he doesn't wrap up well.
Night Angel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtwizzy2k5 wrote:
Night Angel wrote:

How can you have two favorite teams Shocked
You niner fans never make any sense...

My girlfriend is a big Steelers fan. Plus I live on the in PA so I dont get to see many Niners games but the Steelers are on a lot, so I watch a lot of their games.I actually like that team and pull for them in the AFC, although when they go up against SF in week 3, Im Niners all the way.
mrpotamus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:
mrpotamus wrote:

The Steelers already play Cover 2, nearly 50% of the time according to - LeBeau.

As for your criticisms of Troy, I agree totally. That's my biggest complaint about his play, that he sometimes gets a bit out of control and misses tackles because he doesn't wrap up well.

The Steelers do use a cover 2 shell in their defense most of the time, but they run it out of the 34 defense and it is not quite the same as running a base cover 2 defense or the Tampa-2 (which are the same except for the responsibilities of the MLB in coverage). If Tomlin wants to start using a Tampa-2, Polamalu is less than ideal. He would be in the Bob Sanders role, which is pretty much the guy in charge of shutting down the run. He has the ability to be anywhere on the field, but missing tackles would be a HUGE problem. I do think he could do a pretty good job at WLB in that defense, though the tackling could still be a problem and he would have to learn a new position. Plus, that defense would be very bad news for "Average" Ike Taylor. (sorry, I couldn't resist, that sig is funny) Very Happy
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpotamus wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:
mrpotamus wrote:

The Steelers do use a cover 2 shell in their defense most of the time, but they run it out of the 34 defense and it is not quite the same as running a base cover 2 defense or the Tampa-2 (which are the same except for the responsibilities of the MLB in coverage). If Tomlin wants to start using a Tampa-2, Polamalu is less than ideal. He would be in the Bob Sanders role, which is pretty much the guy in charge of shutting down the run. He has the ability to be anywhere on the field, but missing tackles would be a HUGE problem. I do think he could do a pretty good job at WLB in that defense, though the tackling could still be a problem and he would have to learn a new position. Plus, that defense would be very bad news for "Average" Ike Taylor. (sorry, I couldn't resist, that sig is funny) Very Happy

Well, Tomlin doesn't appear to be married to the Tampa 2 scheme. If anything, it appears that LeBeau and Tomlin are putting their heads together to concoct some even more exotic looks for the Steelers defense.

The Steelers may yet become a Tampa 2 team, but that might be during Tomlin's 10th year as head coach. Very Happy
BaltimoreTerp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
mrpotamus wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:
mrpotamus wrote:

Well, Tomlin doesn't appear to be married to the Tampa 2 scheme. If anything, it appears that LeBeau and Tomlin are putting their heads together to concoct some even more exotic looks for the Steelers defense.

The Steelers may yet become a Tampa 2 team, but that might be during Tomlin's 10th year as head coach. Very Happy

Yeah, but how long is LeBeau going to be around? I'm thinking he'll retire in a year or 2, and that's when Tomlin will make the full transition to the Tampa 2. That's the defense he learned in Tampa for years, and the defense he brought to Minnesota even when it wasn't working because the front 4 couldn't get pressure. He can say all the right things now, but the selection of Timmons I think sends the message that the Steelers will move to the Tampa 2 once LeBeau is gone.

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomlin seems like an "if it aint broke, don't fix it" type of guy to me.

I could be totally wrong and he's just counting the days until he can install the Tampa 2 in Pittsburgh. But, we'll never know until that time comes.

I've said this before in the Steelers forum though -- any coach worth his salt should be able to coach just about any scheme. If working with - LeBeau in Pittsburgh opens Tomlin's eyes to the value of the 3-4 pressure scheme, then maybe Tomlin changes his philosophy. After all, he's 34 years old -- a baby in the coaching world. He's too young to be set in his ways.

I didn't follow the Minnesota situation last year closely enough to comment on it, although a poster in the Steelers forum has given enough dissertations on the subject that I should be an expert by now, but I know this -- Tomlin maintained all along that he's going with the 3-4 defense and I don't have any reason to doubt him so far. In fact, I'm excited to see what he does with the team, whether it involves scheme changes or not.
BaltimoreTerp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:

In Minnesota he was more of a, "Even if it's broke, I'm not fixing it" kind of coach. He knows the Tampa 2 defense and only the Tampa 2 defense, and he doesn't adjust away from it even when he needed to.

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:

In Minnesota he was more of a, "Even if it's broke, I'm not fixing it" kind of coach. He knows the Tampa 2 defense and only the Tampa 2 defense, and he doesn't adjust away from it even when he needed to.

Well, who was going to provide him another option in Minnesota? Now he's working with - LeBeau and seeing how other schemes work.

Beside, was it really going to make a difference last year? It doesn't matter what coverage scheme you run in the 4-3 -- if your defensive front four can't pressure the quarterback, then your DBs are toast. Even if he switched up to a more conventional 4-3, the results would've been the same. Quarterback gets all day to throw, receivers eventually get open.

I take it you didn't like the hire. (Or, since you are a Ravens fan, you did.) Time will tell whether he's the right man for the job. I like what I've seen and heard so far and since I don't have any other options, I'm going to cheer for him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: