Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RAVENS GATHER GAITHER
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what your opinion of Gaither may be, its got to be incredibly tough to criticize this pick. By getting him for a 5th rounder, Baltimore has essentially negated his bust factor. He could not a start a game for the next 3 years and still be worth it based on his potential alone. Look at the 5th round offensive tackles from the last 2 drafts: Brandon Frye, Clint Oldenburg, Quinn Ojinaka, Jonathan Scott, Brad Butler and Tony Moll. Do any of those guys even come close to Gaither in anything?

Quote:
Until he shows otherwise, he is just another Aaron Gibson to me. Incredible size, incredible athleticism, bad football player.

Im not sure very many would agree with you that Gaither is a 'bad football player'. He had an up and down sophomore season, but lets not forget that he was dominant as a freshmen.

I wont deny that he needs work, he needs to develope his technique and he needs to mature and grow as a person, but he has time to do that in Baltimore. Maybe Gaither is nothing more than a career backup or maybe he's a multiple pro bowler, only time will tell, but for a 5th round draft pick its well worth it.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpotamus wrote:
I just do not think he is going to amount to much in the NFL. OT is one of those positions where not being able to maintain academic eligibility is a problem. Aside from QB, it may be the most mentally demanding position. I don't see him cutting it there.

It's not necessarily though that he simply wasn't intelligent to pass the classes. He hated the college, and basically didn't do the work. It's an attitude problem, not necessarily an intelligence issue here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
mrpotamus wrote:
I just do not think he is going to amount to much in the NFL. OT is one of those positions where not being able to maintain academic eligibility is a problem. Aside from QB, it may be the most mentally demanding position. I don't see him cutting it there.

It's not necessarily though that he simply wasn't intelligent to pass the classes. He hated the college, and basically didn't do the work. It's an attitude problem, not necessarily an intelligence issue here.
And there is a big difference between intelligence and football IQ. To quote ESPN, his "overall upside is enormous." You won't find a guy in the 5th round next year who scouts will say that about.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could you call Gaither a bad football player when he never allowed a sack at the LT postion Question

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a great pickup for Baltimore, he fits their running scheme perfectly imo, He reminds me a ton of Ogden and will be a great replacemnt for him when he decides to hang em' up. I think he was a steal in the 5th round, he had top 10 talent, and was taken in the 5th, great job Baltimore, you got a perfect tackle for the future.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pcik up like everyone else is saying. Such a steal for a player with his talent. I'm suprised that someone else didn't pull teh trigger earlier on this, preferably my Seahawks. The risk will defenentally be worth the reward.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for them... Gaither was one of my favorite prospects. He's one of the best athletes I've ever seen at that position, and for anyone at that size. A freak of nature.
mrpotamus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
No matter what your opinion of Gaither may be, its got to be incredibly tough to criticize this pick. By getting him for a 5th rounder, Baltimore has essentially negated his bust factor. He could not a start a game for the next 3 years and still be worth it based on his potential alone. Look at the 5th round offensive tackles from the last 2 drafts: Brandon Frye, Clint Oldenburg, Quinn Ojinaka, Jonathan Scott, Brad Butler and Tony Moll. Do any of those guys even come close to Gaither in anything?

Quote:
Until he shows otherwise, he is just another Aaron Gibson to me. Incredible size, incredible athleticism, bad football player.

Im not sure very many would agree with you that Gaither is a 'bad football player'. He had an up and down sophomore season, but lets not forget that he was dominant as a freshmen.

I wont deny that he needs work, he needs to develope his technique and he needs to mature and grow as a person, but he has time to do that in Baltimore. Maybe Gaither is nothing more than a career backup or maybe he's a multiple pro bowler, only time will tell, but for a 5th round draft pick its well worth it.

He wasn't a bad football player in college, but his play was not terribly consistent and he did not do it for long. I just don't think he will be very good in the NFL. His only real asset is his size. He doesn't have the experience, or, from what I have read, the technique.

It was a great pick. The fifth round is the place to take that kind of risk and if it doesn't work out, it will not be a big deal. My only point is that I think he will be a guy, like Aaron Gibson (1st round selection by Detroit in 1999), who has incredible size and athleticism that get people excited, but at the end of the day, that is all he has. That kind of size will get you by in college, but when you get to the NFL, you need more.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow great move for you guys, getting a first round talent in the 5th round and will be perfect to replace Jonathan Ogden with the right coaching.. Applause

El Ramster on the amazing work
curtismartin 28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted the jets to get him.................but, o well.....................

http://www.dailymotion.com/tag/amazing/video/x29osd_jericho-cotchery-amazing-td-against
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I'm very happy right now. Gaither is definitely a gamble considering some of his issues, but his talent and upside is tremendous for a 5th round pick. A gamble well worth taking. Our offensive line is going to be scary good in a couple of years if Gaither can live up to his potential.

LT - Adam Terry
LG - Ben Grubbs
C - Chris Chester/Jason Brown
RG - Chris Chester/Jason Brown
RT - Jared Gaither
Super Sub - Marshall Yanda

That's one beast of a line.

Definately solid, maybe even a little above average, but ud yet to rank it "beastly".

Personally, even with a somewhat weak right side, I think the Vikings O-line is much better then this one. If Gaither can excel and Grubbs can prove himself I could think much more highly about the Ravens O-Line.

Im expecting big things out of the team in general considering I picked them as this years SB champs!

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
spush

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im kind of wondering, if its true of all he ENORMOUS potential some say he has, why he lasted until a late 5th round pick. Its kind of far for someone who never gave up a sack at LT, would be a top 3 OT next year, and has such a huge upside.

Im pretty sure 31 other teams did their homework as well and noone, regardless of roster or cap space, will pass on a sure fire NFL calibur OT.

All Im saying is dont buy his pro bowl jersey just yet.

Lots of optimism in this thread, I think I'll let him get issued pads before I see what he's made of.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spush wrote:
Im kind of wondering, if its true of all he ENORMOUS potential some say he has, why he lasted until a late 5th round pick. Its kind of far for someone who never gave up a sack at LT, would be a top 3 OT next year, and has such a huge upside.

He was a right tackle, not a left tackle, and he gave up 1 sack in 2 seasons, not zero.

I don't think anyone is saying he's a surefire Pro Bowler. He has a lot of questions surrounding him. Most have to do with his attitude and work ethic, and some question his technique as well. I'm sure his low bench press numbers from his Pro Day scared some teams off as well, even though he was injured.

But at the same time, there's no reason that Ravens fans shouldn't be happy with this pick. Baltimore was pretty much one of the best places he could land. Learning behind Jonathan Ogden will do nothing but help. JO is the consumnate professional, a man who has an amazing work ethic, a great attitude, and is extremely responsible. Gaither, from most accounts, is the opposite in many aspects. But he also hated College Park and wasn't happy there, which can kind of sour someone's motivation. Either way, Gaither can learn behind JO and he can learn a thing or two from Ogden about what it takes to be a real adult too, which is important. And the Ravens have a coach in Wade Harman has done a very good job with our young offensive linemen since he came here last summer, and I think Harman will be spending a lot of time with Gaither to help him fulfill his potential.

The bottom line is that this guy has a lot of talent, and a 5th round pick is next to nothing to pay for someone who could potentially give you a huge reward. I think Ravens fans have a right to be excited. Nobody is saying he's a surefire Pro Bowler. But it's no secret the guy has a lot of talent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The bottom line is that this guy has a lot of talent, and a 5th round pick is next to nothing to pay for someone who could potentially give you a huge reward. I think Ravens fans have a right to be excited. Nobody is saying he's a surefire Pro Bowler. But it's no secret the guy has a lot of talent

Im not pretending to know alot about the guy, only what I've read in the supplemental draft threads. Alot of great things, as well as some bad things. I'd be happy too if my team got him for a 5th.

It just doesnt add up how so many teams have issues at OT and he lasted until a late 5th. Going from College Park to BLT should ease the transition being close to home. But the fact that he opted not to maintain an eligible GPA reinforces a story I read stating he's immature and doesnt realize his potential. If Im not mistaken, I believe he I also read he was up to 360-380 lb range at one time? If so, he could be 420 in 2 years

I realize why Oliver fell, his 40 time probably limits him to a tampa 2 scheme. Although thats not SD, they have a tendency to gamble on draft picks (Castillo, Cromartie).

Maybe I put a negative spin on things b/c he's now a Raven, it just doesnt make sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of great things, as well as some bad things. I'd be happy too if my team got him for a 5th.

Quote:
It just doesnt add up how so many teams have issues at OT and he lasted until a late 5th.

A lot of teams don't participate in the Supplemental Draft at all, like the Falcons. Some teams are more easily scared by certain character concerns. It's just the way different teams approach the draft. The fact that Gaither lasted until the late 5th rounder just shows that there are indeed question marks surrounding him, but the talent is still there. And the Ravens, led by Erik DeCosta, did a thorough background check on the guy, so I'll trust them if they believe they can set him straight.

Quote:
If Im not mistaken, I believe he I also read he was up to 360-380 lb range at one time? If so, he could be 420 in 2 years

That's just pure speculation. Gaither weighed in at 324 pounds at his Pro Day, so even if he did gain weight at one point, he knows how to bring it down when he needs to. So the caveat remains that as long as Gaither can stay motivated, he should be fine. Baltimore is a good place to go for him to help him grow up, with a lot of attention from coaching and a role model to look up to in Jonathan Ogden.

Quote:
Maybe I put a negative spin on things b/c he's now a Raven, it just doesnt make sense.

The good definitely outweighs the bad here, there's no question. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a starter... who cares? It was a 5th round pick. 5th round picks aren't usually supposed to be starters anyways. It's a risk worth taking, so I don't really think there's a reason to put a negative spin on this. Nobody is saying the guy doesn't come with some serious risks. But like you, me, and many others said, a late 5th is nothing in a situation like this. I'd rather take a guy like Gaither than spend my 5th rounders taking flyers on guys like Derek Anderson, Josh Harris, Quinn Ojinaka, or Brandon Frye.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: