Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RAVENS GATHER GAITHER
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Very nice pickup for the Ravens. They really took care of the line this offseason, something the Chiefs should look at doing.

And yes, Marshall Yanda would be a super sub B-Terp. I don't know much about Jason Brown but you think he'll be better than Yanda?

I've seen a lot more of Brown than I have Yanda [obviously], but yes, in my opinion Jason Brown is and will be better than Yanda. Brown stepped in after Mulitalo went down in Week 4 last year and did a really outstanding job for us. For a 2nd year player and 2nd day draft pick to step in during the season and left guard and emerge as our 2nd best run blocker after Jonathan Ogden, it's hard not to be impressed. Grubbs will eventually settle in as our left guard, which means Brown will either move to right guard or center, where he played in college. Both he and Chester are capable of playing guard or center, if I was a betting man I'd say Chester will settle in as our longterm starting center and Brown will switch to right guard.

Yanda is the perfect kind of player to have as a backup because he can really come in and sub all along the line because of his ability to play tackle or guard. The Ravens front office seems very high on Yanda too, so I expect we'll see him get a lot of playing time for a backup in the future, and all of these guys who I've mentioned as starters can't rest their laurels or get complacent, because Yanda could be breathing down any of their necks. If Terry falters, Gaither can move to left tackle and Yanda could be our right tackle. If Grubbs falters, Jason Brown could move to left guard and Yanda could start at right guard. If Chester busts, then Brown moves to center and Yanda takes over at right guard. If Brown busts, then Yanda can start at right guard. If Gaither flops, then Yanda is there as a possibility at right tackle.

Quote:
Nice, this makes my fantasy selection of Willis McGahee all the more bearable.

Unless this is a keeper league you're talking about, the selection of Gaither won't do much for you fantasy-wise. Unless he goes into training camp and basically does a Jonathan Ogden impression, he won't be starting this season. Supplemental draft picks very rarely start right off the bat, even Ahmad Brooks in a mediocre Bengals defense only started a couple of games.

This is what our line looks like this year in all likelihood:

LT: Ogden
LG: Brown
C: Chester
RG: Grubbs
RT: Terry

Most Valuable Poster
Trophy Room
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move by the Ravens.

Gaither has a ton of potential to develop into a great tackle. He has all the physical aspects that you look for in your tackle. He was amazing in pass protection in college as well; gave up one sack in two seasons. With the ability to sit and learn along with the proper coaching Gaither could become a Pro-Bowler.
sparroww77

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL.com Confrims its http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10254491

Jared Gaither (Ravens for a 5th)
Paul Oliver ( Chargers for a 4th)
the only to drafted.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

That's all I can say...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Pick up.

I was hoping the Dolphins would pull the trigger on Gaither. We Might of if he lasted to the 6th round.

The Ravens were getting thin along the O line. But the additions of Grubbs, Yanda, Gaither, and even FB Le'Ron MClain have bostered their depth. I like all their moves. Hopefully they will all be protecting Troy Smith in a few years.
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 5th round pick the risk is well worth it. Nice pick up by the ravens here. Lets hope he stops growing! Laughing

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Profanity is the one language known by all programmers!
Patsfan01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Gaither will have that big of an impact from Day 1, but he will be a beast in the future. Gaither for a 5th rounder. Shocked HUGE steal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to the Raven Fans, I think he will learn alot from Ogden (HOF) and him and Grubbs are future starts for the Ravens for years to come. I think he was a steal for a 5th Round.

TommyC376 on the Sig
RamRod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you guys the Falcons wouldn't get him. Here's a post I made in the other thread about Gaither.

RamRod wrote:
I doubt the Falcons get Jared Gaither. Take a look at this and you'll see what I mean.

rotoworld wrote:
PRO FOOTBALL: Falcons will pass on supplemental draft

The Falcons have no plans to participate in Thursday's NFL supplemental draft, the team said Monday. If a team participates in the supplemental draft it must forfeit a corresponding pick from the 2008 NFL entry draft

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

It's probably not a good idea for the Falcons to not participate in the Supplemental Draft. They need to go after Jared Gaither, he's huge, he stands 6'9 and weighs 330 pounds. Wayne Gandy is 36 years old and the Falcons need to get Gaither to be the future replacement for him.
BuckSavage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow i cant believe the Raiders wouldnt at least use a 4th on him Shocked
BatCountry!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised teams like the Chiefs, Raiders, Cowboys, and Dolphins didn't jump on this guy. If he had declared for the '07 draft, he would have most likely been drafted in the first two rounds, maybe in the first. Isn't the supplemental draft a great place to get a player like him for value? A 4th rounder in 2008 is next to nothing for a player with his potential.

I understand that his contract has to fit with the other rookie contracts this season, but that should not make much of a difference considering that he would be recieving a mid-round contract. And of course the off-the-field issues would be discouraging, but does a couple of failed classes at a respectible school like Maryland cause a drop in value this serious?

Teams are going to have inside knowledge that the public doesn't have, but I just can't imagine what would cause the aforementioned teams from putting forth a 4th round pick for this kid. Are you telling me that NFL GMs consider guys like Doug Free and Mario Henderson better pickups than Gaither?

^^^ McNabbNo5

Sapere aude!
rant67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pick up for Baltimore, and for a 5th is even better news for the Ravens. I still wish my Cowboys could have inked him. Sad

To always be remembered...
52decleetzu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuckSavage wrote:

Gaither said he was on the phone with the Raiders when the Ravens called and said they were going to take him.
DaKingPin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuckSavage wrote:

I don't think he would fit the zone blocking scheme the Raiders are planning on running. But overall what a steal for the Ravens. I can't believe no one gave up a 4th for this guy possibly third. This guy is a first round talent taken in the 5th round. I can't believe it. Good Job Ravens front office.
mrpotamus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just do not think he is going to amount to much in the NFL. OT is one of those positions where not being able to maintain academic eligibility is a problem. Aside from QB, it may be the most mentally demanding position. I don't see him cutting it there.

Until he shows otherwise, he is just another Aaron Gibson to me. Incredible size, incredible athleticism, bad football player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: