Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eli Manning criticizes Tiki Barber
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GiantRutgersFan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Eli Manning criticizes Tiki Barber Reply with quote

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2007/07/12/2007-07-12_manning_lobs_barb_at_barber.html

Eli Manning has been criticized for not being enough of a vocal leader during his three seasons with the Giants. Yesterday, however, the usually soft-spoken quarterback didn't hold back when asked about what he thought life would be like without newly retired running back Tiki Barber. "I don't think we're concerned," Manning said. "We're excited by the players that we have who wanted to return for this season, and who wanted to be a part of the Giants and play."

Barber, who will be a correspondent this fall for NBC, had a sometimes contentious relationship with coach Tom Coughlin over the past two years. And when word of Barber's retirement leaked out during last season, many in the media questioned Barber's dedication to the team. Manning's parting shot, however, is the first time a teammate has openly criticized the Giants' all-time leading rusher.

Manning was at Grand Central Terminal yesterday, competing in a putting contest as part of a promotion for next week's Women's World Match Play Championship at Wykagyl Country Club in New Rochelle. Despite any lingering hard feelings, the fourth-year QB said he was looking forward to filling the leadership void left by Barber.

"You lose Tiki and someone has to step into the role of leader on offense, and I'm excited about the opportunity," he said. "You want to be a leader, even when things are going good or going bad. I want to be the guy to step up, make plays and lead the team."

Manning is 20-19 with Big Blue and 0-2 in the playoffs. Last season, when the Giants went 8-8, he threw for 3,244 yards with 24 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. "As far as leadership," Manning said, "it's something you earn, the respect of your teammates. You play well, prepare for every game and when things get tough . . . you step up."

Asked if thought he had already earned that respect, Manning added: "I think so. We've won enough games, they know how I prepare, how I work and study and get mentally ready."

Good for him. Something needed to be said imo. As much as I liked Tiki, he did a terrible job regarding handling his retirement. He became a loudmouth and simply wasnt a team player. He should have told management and his teammates before the season imo.

But good for Eli. He already leads by example, but I think him becoming more vocal can only be a good thing. Seems like he realizes that he is the man now.
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for him to put the critics to rest now.If he cuts down on the mental mistakes, he has a chance.I doubt they miss Tiki as much as everyone seems to think.The Giants are going to be an interesting team who may be the underdogs all year long and it will be fun to see how they handle the underdog label.
panthersfo'life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how Lil' Manning is growing and being more of a vocal leader. He is going to be good this year i can feel it.
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's move this to the News forum.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Peyton or Archie put him up to this. Very Happy We'll have to wait until the season to see if he's grown at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the year that Eli needs to step up, be a leader, and play the quarterback position like a true Manning should.
If he disappoints again, he will be gone and out of New York City.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4032056&sid=46043bada13909aa3b3823c562cb2514#4032056 CLICK THE LINK FOR MY LATEST MOCK DRAFT
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nopussycat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he was punking Tiki as much as he was telling the truth. Tiki is gone and you can't whine about him being gone.

Sig by Spartan4Life

The Lions can't suck forever,right?
dbtb135

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Yawn*, usual NY rag-job. Wake me when he actually takes a verbal jab at Tiki. These writers are always trying too hard to stir something up...
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli Manning is actually not good at football

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
Eli Manning is actually not good at football
thank you for someone finally agreeing with me

Dawg24^^
BoYz2tHeBoWl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Eli Manning criticizes Tiki Barber Reply with quote

GiantRutgersFan wrote:
Good for him. Something needed to be said imo. As much as I liked Tiki, he did a terrible job regarding handling his retirement. He became a loudmouth and simply wasnt a team player. He should have told management and his teammates before the season imo.

But good for Eli. He already leads by example, but I think him becoming more vocal can only be a good thing. Seems like he realizes that he is the man now.

That doesn't make sense to me. If anything it would've been better to tell them after the end of the season so he could have thought about it more, see how the season played out, and as well it wouldn't be a distraction they had to deal with all season.

Tiki was a great leader and a true professional and I think Manning is just mad that Barber left so now the pressure is on him to step up when he's likely still not ready.

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Perhaps it's your assessment is the one that is a knock on your ability to assess a football game.
hovito213

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how that's taking a shot at Tiki. He told the truth. Typical case of the media trying to make it into something bigger than it is.

In reference to the Manning vs Brady debate
Hilit wrote: I think this is the argument you have to be involved in when youre in purgatory.
davlar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Manning doesn't step up and assume his leadership role, no-one will, and it could be a very long season for the Giants. I'm not fully confident Manning can be the leader they need, but it's up to him to prove me wrong.

Thanks to JammerHammer21 for the sig - Let The Riv-Era Begin!
Barnett56

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manning isn't a leader. He won't be this year either, and he shouldn't be talking bad about the single reason the Giants went to the playoffs last year.
mlv

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Barnett56"]Manning isn't a leader. [/quote]

Care to back that statement up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: