Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers likely to obtain Paul Oliver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park, wondering if I should throw my levis into the fire
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Honestly, San Diego fans do you think you'll have any holes a 2nd rounder can fill next year? I would think CB, S, NT and LB may be the only pressing needs, while a late WR may suffice. You can take Oliver now and let him learn the system and get acclimated to the NFL. Then in the 1st round you get your LB and 3rd round you get your NT. Then find a Safety in the 2nd day(which is pretty easy now a days) if McCree isn't the answer. I'm sure it's not going to fall like that, but I think San Diego can afford it.

they dont have a third, they traded it
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park, wondering if I should throw my levis into the fire
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Bolts wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Honestly, San Diego fans do you think you'll have any holes a 2nd rounder can fill next year? I would think CB, S, NT and LB may be the only pressing needs, while a late WR may suffice. You can take Oliver now and let him learn the system and get acclimated to the NFL. Then in the 1st round you get your LB and 3rd round you get your NT. Then find a Safety in the 2nd day(which is pretty easy now a days) if McCree isn't the answer. I'm sure it's not going to fall like that, but I think San Diego can afford it.

We already have enough LBs....and cant we be cocky a little....for once we have a fantastic team...howeever they grab Oliver is fine with me....AJ hasnt made a draft mistake since Sammy Davis in 2003...i think 2003

ugh tell me about it... sammy davis is the worst football player ever, the worst. ok kwame is worse. my bad
thesickness89

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt the draft today??

#FIREHOKE2014
The-Beast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesickness89 wrote:
isnt the draft today??
yes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chargers will definitely not have a shot at him IMO with just a second round pick. they will have one of the latest picks in the second round so if anybody else offers, they will probably get him. oliver is a mid first round talent and i would think he would be won by some crappy team offering a second rounder and if san diego really wants him, it would be almost mandatory to give up a first.
But if you guys could get him with a second rounder, you'd be getting one hell of a bargain. you wouldnt have to pay him that much and you get a talent that in the ordinary draft would be picked at around 18
Stance Punk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chargers have'em.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chargers got a good CB in Oliver. He probably won't start this season, but he will be a solid starter in future years. And they got him at a bargain of a 4th round pick. Congrats guys!

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 20 SACK: 1 FF: 1 INT:
thesickness89

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo chargers got a bargian

#FIREHOKE2014
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pickup, you still have a 1st and 2nd. I was unaware of the 3rd rounder.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody know how his contract will play out? a guy who has 1st round talent, but is a 4th in the supplemental. dunno how these things work.
pierrepet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Chargers likely to obtain Paul Oliver Reply with quote

Barnett56 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
I saw on ESPN, although there's no link that I can find, that the Chargers are very interested in paul Oliver in the supp. draft, and are considering giving up a 2nd round pick for him because of the lack of holes on the team.

They also said that because Drayton Flornece will be a FA, Oliver could serve as his replacement, or at least the 3rd CB until he comes into his own.

Thoughts??

There is always a lack of holes on a team until they start to feel that way. Once they become content with their team is when it starts to fall apart.

A second round pick should never be given up on a player in the supplemental draft.

Very good post. It makes no sense when I here people say "they can afford to waste a pick because they don't have many holes." When teams start thinking like that, they are headed for deep trouble.

Ironm1ke: "I am a huge Eli supporter, but his 2012 campaign was an epic turd."
Nopussycat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of one Supplemental Draft pick who was academically ineliglible who made it to the Pro Bowl or became an All Pro, does anyone else? Character matters and this goes to show that the Supplemental Draft is a joke.

Sig by Spartan4Life

The Lions can't suck forever,right?
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderstruck21 wrote:
anybody know how his contract will play out? a guy who has 1st round talent, but is a 4th in the supplemental. dunno how these things work.

Doesn't matter what kind of "talent" they have, only the round they are selected in. Say a team takes a guy in the 3rd round, they give up their 3rd rounder in the next draft. I suppose they'll pay him 3rd round money too.

Nopussycat wrote:
I don't know of one Supplemental Draft pick who was academically ineliglible who made it to the Pro Bowl or became an All Pro, does anyone else? Character matters and this goes to show that the Supplemental Draft is a joke.

Christ Carter, Bernie Kosar, Jamal Williams (currently of the Chargers).

EDIT: link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

Oh, and i forgot the Boz Laughing

EDIT 2: Shoot, didn't realize you just meant academically inelligible. Umm, not sure who qualifies for that.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Eagles $5$

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pick up for the Chargers, I think him and Antonio Cromartie are going to be great CB tandem for years to come... Congrats Chargers Fan, you guys got a steal. Wink

TommyC376 on the Sig
Nopussycat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Thunderstruck21 wrote:

Doesn't matter what kind of "talent" they have, only the round they are selected in. Say a team takes a guy in the 3rd round, they give up their 3rd rounder in the next draft. I suppose they'll pay him 3rd round money too.

Nopussycat wrote:

Christ Carter, Bernie Kosar, Jamal Williams (currently of the Chargers).

EDIT: link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

Oh, and i forgot the Boz Laughing

EDIT 2: Shoot, didn't realize you just meant academically inelligible. Umm, not sure who qualifies for that.

Your right ever five years a decent football player comes out in the Supplemental Draft. Just goes to prove it's a bigger joke.

Sig by Spartan4Life

The Lions can't suck forever,right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: