Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers likely to obtain Paul Oliver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitansFan9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipperboy1 wrote:
He's a great cornerback, and having watched him a lot in the last few years

he has only started 13 college games... he may have talent, but is raw imo..

BadToTheBone wrote:
VY, proving doubters wrong since college. When will people give up?

Hes a winner and will always be one.
GiantRutgersFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chargers are getting very cocky with themselves.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHEEZY wrote:
Ummmm the Lions are more than likely going to take him with the #2 overall pick in the supplemental draft and IMO there is very little chance that he slips to the Chargers.

#2 overall pick??? Seriously??? You may as well stop your continued support for Matt Millen because using the #2 overall pick on a player in the Supplemental draft would the dumbest move in a long line of them for him.
aj hawk #50

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitansFan9 wrote:
i wouldn't give up more than a 4th rounder for oliver...

You wouldn't give up a 4th rounder for a projected 1st rounder next year?

GeneralTso wrote:
When my team grows up, I want them to be the Green Bay Packers!
LHEEZY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
LHEEZY wrote:
Ummmm the Lions are more than likely going to take him with the #2 overall pick in the supplemental draft and IMO there is very little chance that he slips to the Chargers.

#2 overall pick??? Seriously??? You may as well stop your continued support for Matt Millen because using the #2 overall pick on a player in the Supplemental draft would the dumbest move in a long line of them for him.

I mean giving up a 2nd for him.

Use the #2 overall pick in the second round.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give a second for this guy in a second. He really had no probelems, just academic issues, so behavior at this point, isn't the problem. Would've most likely been a first rounder last year so why not? Eric Wright was picked in the second round this year, and even though he has first round talent easily, his problems were far worse.

El Ramster on the amazing work
PadsChargers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantRutgersFan wrote:
Chargers are getting very cocky with themselves.

Calm down.

They haven't drafted him yet.

The Chargers know they have holes on their team, just like every other team. They see a future opening on their roster and may be interested in getting Oliver to fill it. That's it.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHEEZY wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
LHEEZY wrote:

At least that makes sense.

2nd round is still way too high IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Honestly, San Diego fans do you think you'll have any holes a 2nd rounder can fill next year? I would think CB, S, NT and LB may be the only pressing needs, while a late WR may suffice. You can take Oliver now and let him learn the system and get acclimated to the NFL. Then in the 1st round you get your LB and 3rd round you get your NT. Then find a Safety in the 2nd day(which is pretty easy now a days) if McCree isn't the answer. I'm sure it's not going to fall like that, but I think San Diego can afford it.

We already have enough LBs....and cant we be cocky a little....for once we have a fantastic team...howeever they grab Oliver is fine with me....AJ hasnt made a draft mistake since Sammy Davis in 2003...i think 2003

Regular Season: 10 picks (Chargers Record), 3 TDs, 109.88 yard FG return (NFL Record)
Postseason: 2 picks, 1 TD
Pro Bowl: 2 picks (Tie Pro Bowl Record)
LHEEZY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
LHEEZY wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
LHEEZY wrote:

The man had a bad workout but he is a very good prospect (1st round caliber).

He ran a 4.32 40 yd dash coming into colege
Was the #1 CB coming out in 2003
Had great success in a tough conference
The Lions could use his talent at CB even though he more than likely wouldn't start.
He ran a Cover 2 scheme in college (what the Lions run).

Overall giving up a 2nd round draft pick for a 1st round caliber CB isn't a bad move IMO, as there is no better player that the Lions should be able to get next year in the 2nd round with their draft pick being in the 20s. Wink No in all seriousness though the Lions would be stupid to pass up on him there especially with the Chargers waiting in the wings to snatch him up.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHEEZY wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
LHEEZY wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
LHEEZY wrote:

The Lions could use his talent at CB even though he more than likely wouldn't start.

Overall giving up a 2nd round draft pick for a 1st round caliber CB isn't a bad move IMO, as there is no better player that the Lions should be able to get next year in the 2nd round with their draft pick being in the 20s. Wink No in all seriousness though the Lions would be stupid to pass up on him there especially with the Chargers waiting in the wings to snatch him up.

1. I can sit here all day and type names of guys who are "1st round calibur". Means very little.
2. I think scouts and coaches tend to care more about how players run ending college as opposed to entering it.
3. I care very little about how good he was in 2003. The concensus #1 defensive back in 2002 was Darnell Bing of Long Beach Poly High School. You get my point.
4. My problem with this is very simple: Your giving up a 2nd round pick in what shapes up as a very good draft in 2008 for a guy who has started 13 games in his entire college career! This is a guy who couldn't even handle the college experience, what makes you think he can handle being a professional???

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
LHEEZY wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
LHEEZY wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
LHEEZY wrote:

1. I can sit here all day and type names of guys who are "1st round calibur". Means very little.
2. I think scouts and coaches tend to care more about how players run ending college as opposed to entering it.
3. I care very little about how good he was in 2003. The concensus #1 defensive back in 2002 was Darnell Bing of Long Beach Poly High School. You get my point.
4. My problem with this is very simple: Your giving up a 2nd round pick in what shapes up as a very good draft in 2008 for a guy who has started 13 games in his entire college career! This is a guy who couldn't even handle the college experience, what makes you think he can handle being a professional???

I agree with pretty much everything you said, and it would be very hard for the Lions to give up a (likely mid to early) second round pick in 2008 for Oliver (I'd personally give up nothing more than a late 3rd to early 4th considering the fact that it's always a risk and you never know what position you'll be in down the road during the draft). However, if they feel that he can be a player that can develop into a very solid defender than they have to do it. He may have not been able to handle the "college experience", but a lot of people can't. He may be bad at math, english, and writing his own name, but if he can play football in the NFL (which remians to be seen) then it could be well worth it for any team that takes a shot at him.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe any speculative reports about a team wanting a player. A lot of that is posturing because throwing rumors like that out to the media can sometimes force a different team to grab a guy with a higher draft pick which can hurt them next year.

For example: if Team A said they'd grab Oliver with their 3rd round pick, it would force any team that has interest in him who is picking after Team A to offer their 2nd round pick to prevent Team A from getting him in the 3rd. It's a subtle way of forcing another team's hand. And if Team A didn't actually have any interest in Oliver at all, it caused another team to use a higher draft pick than they would've wanted, which could hurt them next year. It's more of a chess game than truth.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
patman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBen7 wrote:
Imagine Paul Oliver and Antonio Cromartie in a few years with that Front 7 Shocked

a few years? in 90% of the cases in the nfl two years is the most you can look at a unit. FA will take it toll.
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is worth the risk in my opinion to give up a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what San Diego gives up to get him. I think that he will be a solid #2 corner in the NFL, and maybe even make a pro bowl.

He may be raw, but from what I've seen he's impressed me.

My NFL Draft Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: