Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers likely to obtain Paul Oliver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBen7 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Yea that is going to be one heck of a CB tandem. Plus the versatile Eric Weddle playing Safety. If the Chargers can keep all of these core players they have so much to look forward to.

Have the Chargers already drafted him then Wink

*That would be one heck of a tandem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Chargers likely to obtain Paul Oliver Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I saw on ESPN, although there's no link that I can find, that the Chargers are very interested in paul Oliver in the supp. draft, and are considering giving up a 2nd round pick for him because of the lack of holes on the team.

They also said that because Drayton Flornece will be a FA, Oliver could serve as his replacement, or at least the 3rd CB until he comes into his own.

Thoughts??

There is always a lack of holes on a team until they start to feel that way. Once they become content with their team is when it starts to fall apart.

A second round pick should never be given up on a player in the supplemental draft.
kyle21121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I like. I like very much. Giving up a 2nd in a Supp Draft is pretty steep but we can afford to considering that were a very solid overall club. I really like Oliver and would be glad to have him on the team.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard a lot about how the front office has brought him in for several visits but this would just cripple our entire 08 draft. If they do give up a second, they would only have their first rounder for the first day.

I don't wan the Bolts turning into the Redskins.
The-Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with that second round pick the bolts spent on Jamal Williams in the supplemental draft.

If Oliver is in the system a year ahead of time, learns the system and is able to step up as the nickel back next year when Florence leaves. It would be well worth the second round pick spent seeing as we'd have to get another corner next year anyways. He'd probably instantly become the dime back. And it would free up a roster spot seeing as we probably wouldn't go with 5 corners like we did last year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, San Diego fans do you think you'll have any holes a 2nd rounder can fill next year? I would think CB, S, NT and LB may be the only pressing needs, while a late WR may suffice. You can take Oliver now and let him learn the system and get acclimated to the NFL. Then in the 1st round you get your LB and 3rd round you get your NT. Then find a Safety in the 2nd day(which is pretty easy now a days) if McCree isn't the answer. I'm sure it's not going to fall like that, but I think San Diego can afford it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some team in the same division as the lions should line him up against CJ every game 1on1.. Round 2 Laughing
PadsChargers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

A 2nd rounder is a bit steep but they really seem to like the guy and with Florence almost certainly leaving following the season, it makes some sense because they likely would have had to draft a CB early next year due to Florence leaving, because they would need someone to play the nickel.

In this scenario, Oliver will be ready to play the nickel in '08 while gaining experience, learning the system and likely being the dime guy this year.

It would be steep because they already don't have a 3rd rounder so this would leave them with only one first day pick next year, their first rounder.

It's a bit of a gamble but I wouldn't be unhappy if it happened.
HOVA333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason every team says that they are interested. Think

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
dasg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOVA333 wrote:

not the 9ers they said he dosnt have nfl speed
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chargers likely to obtain Paul Oliver Reply with quote

Barnett56 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
I saw on ESPN, although there's no link that I can find, that the Chargers are very interested in paul Oliver in the supp. draft, and are considering giving up a 2nd round pick for him because of the lack of holes on the team.

They also said that because Drayton Flornece will be a FA, Oliver could serve as his replacement, or at least the 3rd CB until he comes into his own.

Thoughts??

There is always a lack of holes on a team until they start to feel that way. Once they become content with their team is when it starts to fall apart.

A second round pick should never be given up on a player in the supplemental draft.

Don't worry Barnett56, I feel the same way. But thats just the reported info. I don't think Oliver is worthy of a second rounder in the supp. draft. He has the potential to be good, but I don't see him being a stud.

Thanks, Tzimisce
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dasg wrote:
HOVA333 wrote:

not the 9ers they said he dosnt have nfl speed

That's why he's a Tampa 2 corner. Think a better Daymeion Hughes.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wait until the draft happens. I'd be excited if the Jaguars can grab Gaither.

Oliver to the Chargers would be a nice pick up too.
JEIS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Chargers likely to obtain Paul Oliver Reply with quote

Barnett56 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Thoughts??

I'm pretty sure the Packers spent a second rounder on Mike Whale a few years back. He was a pretty good pickup. If you can get a high first round pick for the price of a mid to late second with minimal issues, you are maximizing the value of your picks.
chipperboy1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can very easily see Paul Oliver succeeding in the NFL, especially with the Chargers. He's a great cornerback, and having watched him a lot in the last few years, would be a great addition to any team in the NFL.

Of course, I would love to see him on the Falcons, lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: