Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Colorado Rockies Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Broncos Dynasty


Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4774
Location: Rocky Mountain High
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Official Colorado Rockies Thread Reply with quote

So the Rockies were maybe the best team in the majors for a one-month period (late May to late June), capped by winning 2 of 3 in Boston, then sweeping the Yankees. After that, SportsCenter had a piece on how well they had been playing.

Since then, they lost 8 in a row, and after tonight's 12-0 loss in Houston, thay've lost 9 out of 10. In that streak of 8 losses, Brian Fuentes blew 4 saves Evil or Very Mad (and still made the All-Star game).

Now the Rox return home after that grueling 10-game road trip. Where do they go from here? Anyone think they can return to playing like they did for the most of June and make the playoffs? At what point in the season will they determine if they are going to be buyers or sellers?
_________________


Last edited by Broncos Dynasty on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:36 am; edited 14 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tdfast


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 11186
Location: Edmonton
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Atlanta's sake I hope the Rockies can turn it around and rip up the Mets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eaglesfan536890


Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 12820
Location: Brick, New Jersey
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Rockies have the best young talent in the MLB.
_________________

ryknowssd on the sig
Bird Watch: Brodrick Bunkley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
bhslinebacker


Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 2176
Location: BOCO
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We WILL win the division
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pacman=future


Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Posts: 4383
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhslinebacker wrote:
We WILL win the division


you seem very sure
mind explaining?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18457
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdfast wrote:
For Atlanta's sake I hope the Rockies can turn it around and rip up the Mets.


So far, so good. We won 6-0 yesterday and are up 11-3 now.

But in all seriousness, I like the Rockies - not just that they are one of my favorite teams, but I like their chances to be a real threat in the NL. Jeff Francis has to be one of the most underrated players in ALL OF SPORTS! If he played in Boston or New York and hence got recognition from ESPN, he'd be regarded nationwide as one of the best young pitchers in the game, which he no doubt is.

I think that is Garrett Atkins can play like we (Rockies fans) know he can, we can not only compete in the NL West but win it. I hate to narrow it down to one player, but having him struggle the way he has in the 1st half puts a big hole in the middle of our lineup where we could really use a big bat.

Pacman=future wrote:
bhslinebacker wrote:
We WILL win the division


you seem very sure
mind explaining?


Well I wasn't the author of the post, but I will give it a shot.

We have a solid front 3 of the rotation with Francis, Cook and Lopez. Lopez got ripped up in Houston on Sunday but other than that he's had a very solid year. Cook just has to remember to not over throw the sinker - if he keeps in the low 90s and not try to get it in the mid-90s it is a filthy pitch. Sure those names may not have the pizazz of of Maddux-Peavy-Young or Johnson-Webb-Hernandez, but they are a very effective trio. Hirsh has shown some promise and Fogg is about what one expects from a #5 starter.

The bullpen is good and, despite the recent struggles of close Brian Fuentes, I don't know if there are 5 closers in the game I would take over him.

We have the best defense, at least statistically speaking, in all of the majors. If its only the best statistically, then its at the very least in the top 5 - watch them play on a regular basis, and you'll understand what I mean.

But most importantly, we have what I think is the best every day lineup in the division - Taveras, Matsui at the top for speed, a high average/on-base guy in Helton, good power hitters with Holliday, Hawpe and Atkins, and when Troy Tulowitski is your #7 hitter, you have know you have a good lineup.

I'm not saying they are going to win the division. But the Rockies are no longer the doormat of the NL West.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Pacman=future


Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Posts: 4383
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
tdfast wrote:
For Atlanta's sake I hope the Rockies can turn it around and rip up the Mets.


So far, so good. We won 6-0 yesterday and are up 11-3 now.

But in all seriousness, I like the Rockies - not just that they are one of my favorite teams, but I like their chances to be a real threat in the NL. Jeff Francis has to be one of the most underrated players in ALL OF SPORTS! If he played in Boston or New York and hence got recognition from ESPN, he'd be regarded nationwide as one of the best young pitchers in the game, which he no doubt is.

I think that is Garrett Atkins can play like we (Rockies fans) know he can, we can not only compete in the NL West but win it. I hate to narrow it down to one player, but having him struggle the way he has in the 1st half puts a big hole in the middle of our lineup where we could really use a big bat.

Pacman=future wrote:
bhslinebacker wrote:
We WILL win the division


you seem very sure
mind explaining?


Well I wasn't the author of the post, but I will give it a shot.

We have a solid front 3 of the rotation with Francis, Cook and Lopez. Lopez got ripped up in Houston on Sunday but other than that he's had a very solid year. Cook just has to remember to not over throw the sinker - if he keeps in the low 90s and not try to get it in the mid-90s it is a filthy pitch. Sure those names may not have the pizazz of of Maddux-Peavy-Young or Johnson-Webb-Hernandez, but they are a very effective trio. Hirsh has shown some promise and Fogg is about what one expects from a #5 starter.

The bullpen is good and, despite the recent struggles of close Brian Fuentes, I don't know if there are 5 closers in the game I would take over him.

We have the best defense, at least statistically speaking, in all of the majors. If its only the best statistically, then its at the very least in the top 5 - watch them play on a regular basis, and you'll understand what I mean.

But most importantly, we have what I think is the best every day lineup in the division - Taveras, Matsui at the top for speed, a high average/on-base guy in Helton, good power hitters with Holliday, Hawpe and Atkins, and when Troy Tulowitski is your #7 hitter, you have know you have a good lineup.

I'm not saying they are going to win the division. But the Rockies are no longer the doormat of the NL West.


Thanks
I do not know if they will contend with SD and LA this year, but next year they could be with SD, LA, and AZ.
I love their line up very good. Taveras is underrated IMO. And Holliday is a monster. The staff is slightly worrisome to me. Cook can be good, Francis is good, I do not think Lopez will continue to be very good. Their bullpen has a few good pitchers like Fuentes and Corpas.
I heard Fuentes was demoted from the closers job. Is Corpas going to close?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broncos Dynasty


Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4774
Location: Rocky Mountain High
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, will won't win the division this year, but next year, and for many years to come, we will be competitive. Our rotation is not very good IMO, with Francis being the only reliable starter. Cook can be good, but has been inconsistent all year, and I'm not sure Lopez can keep it up.

"Closer by committee," meaning that Corpas, Julio, and maybe Hawkins will share the closer role. But hey, Fuentes didn't allow a run yeasterday when he pitched with a 9-run lead. Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broncos Dynasty


Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4774
Location: Rocky Mountain High
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now they've just swept the Mets, after winning tonight 17-7. Talk about your typical roller coaster season... Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tdfast


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 11186
Location: Edmonton
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdfast wrote:
For Atlanta's sake I hope the Rockies can turn it around and rip up the Mets.


Called it!!! Very Happy

Too bad the Braves lost 2 of the first 3... Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bhslinebacker


Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 2176
Location: BOCO
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rockies will win the division...quote me on this. We have the best defense in the league with a very deep bench. Guys like Spilborghs, sullivan, carroll. Best top 3 in the division IMO in matsui, taveras, and holliday. Francis and cook are good starters we could add 1 more at the trade deadline. Even though Fuentes has had a rough stretch hes probaly the best left handed closer in baseball. Corpas and Hawkins are good set up men. Affeldt is a decent lefty out of the pen. We have a deep order after 3 with guys like Helton, Atkins, Hawpe, and Tulowitski (clutch). We can out score anyone in baseball and took series from the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets all playoff caliber teams.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pacman=future


Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Posts: 4383
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhslinebacker wrote:
The Rockies will win the division...quote me on this. We have the best defense in the league with a very deep bench. Guys like Spilborghs, sullivan, carroll. Best top 3 in the division IMO in matsui, taveras, and holliday. Francis and cook are good starters we could add 1 more at the trade deadline. Even though Fuentes has had a rough stretch hes probaly the best left handed closer in baseball. Corpas and Hawkins are good set up men. Affeldt is a decent lefty out of the pen. We have a deep order after 3 with guys like Helton, Atkins, Hawpe, and Tulowitski (clutch). We can out score anyone in baseball and took series from the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets all playoff caliber teams.


your not going to win the division with 2 good starters especially when one is inconsistent IMO
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bhslinebacker


Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 2176
Location: BOCO
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacman=future wrote:
bhslinebacker wrote:
The Rockies will win the division...quote me on this. We have the best defense in the league with a very deep bench. Guys like Spilborghs, sullivan, carroll. Best top 3 in the division IMO in matsui, taveras, and holliday. Francis and cook are good starters we could add 1 more at the trade deadline. Even though Fuentes has had a rough stretch hes probaly the best left handed closer in baseball. Corpas and Hawkins are good set up men. Affeldt is a decent lefty out of the pen. We have a deep order after 3 with guys like Helton, Atkins, Hawpe, and Tulowitski (clutch). We can out score anyone in baseball and took series from the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets all playoff caliber teams.


your not going to win the division with 2 good starters especially when one is inconsistent IMO



You have 1 consistant starter in Webb. Livan Hernandez is over the hill and has been shelled the last 2 years. Also, please tell me who supplies you offense? Orlando Hudson?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tdfast


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 11186
Location: Edmonton
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rockies may overtake Arizona if they stay hot but I don't think either will touch the Dodgers and Padres. Those are two good teams.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bhslinebacker


Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 2176
Location: BOCO
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are only 5 1/2 back as of today and 3 games behing arizona. Watch out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group