Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Friars Wonderful World (0-0) All I talk about is Prospects
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The-Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Friars Wonderful World (0-0) All I talk about is Prospects Reply with quote

Better late then never I guess.

June 14th
Headley will be called up sending Paul Mcanulty down to triple A after Kouzmanoff injured his back against Tampa. Headley in a pitchers league lead nearly every offensive category. This move shows obvious signs of distrust towards Branyan from Black.

Justin Germano improved to 5-0 after his rebound game from his trouncing by the Mariners. Going 6 shutout innings, he'll soon be eligible for postseason honor's. Him and Pence are running away with rookie of the year race.

June 15th
Wells pitched a solid 5innings, then struggled in the sixth after the Padres finally managed to tie the score. Headley unceremoniously went 0-3 in his first big league game.

June 16th
I was highly disappointed that the umpires caved to the pressure to toss Young. What a great relief appearance by Hampson though 3.1 innings shutout ball. Awesome throw to the plate by Hiram to save the run, don't know why the cubs were sending the runner on such a shallow fly ball by the pitcher no less. Branyan redeemed himself for leaving so many on earlier in the game in the end. The Padres now have 4 of the last six or seven 2hit wins.

June 17th
Padres hitters were on the mark. Cameron owns Rich Hill, 4 of his 8 home runs on the year are against Hill. Maddux was Maddux getting by on located junk although I'm surprised he stayed in the park today(thanks to the wind blowing in). Meredith seems to have finally gotten his stuff back. Headley recorded his first major league hit after getting robbed in the opener by DeRosa.

Last edited by The-Beast on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:41 pm; edited 143 times in total
The-Beast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: 6-19/6-24 Reply with quote

June 19th
No clue what Peavy was doing out there today, he was avoiding his off-speed stuff the O's sat on his fastball. I don't think he threw any junk until the 6th inning(he was mixing cutters with his FB though). The Padres hitters didn't cool down due to their off day, they killed the ball out there tonight. The O's had to send out the slowest pitchers ever to the plate. If felt like watching a rerun of a marathon.

June 20th
Micheal Barrett, welcome to the padres. It's clearly a deal that favors the Padres, Bowen is a backup who can only do well off the bench and Burke is a struggling A baller. You have to like any trade that can bring a bat to the pads.

Tough one, Gurthie dominated our sorry hitting going 8innings on 4 hits. The O's seemed to be looking for Germano's curve. He obliged until a visit to the mound, and then went on to have 6 scoreless innings. Branyan scored the only run of the night for the padres on an opposite field home run. Kevin Cameron lowered his mop up duty ERA to .36, yeah thats 1 run in 23.1 innings, if he gets control of his walks managers won't like to face him.

June 21st
We didn't do too much better against Bedard(really underrated), and when we did have chances we didn't drive in runs. It's always nice to start off with a new team going 0-3 with 3 strikeouts(Barrett). Wells was good on the mound, the defense let him down. Brocail is breaking down after his hot start.

June 22nd
Matsuzaka vs Maddux pretty darn good hype surrounding this series, and the first 2 guys lived up to it. Maddux seems to be not getting the Maddux strike zone that he has earned the past 2 decades. He still managed to get by the Red Sox feared offense relatively unscathed allowing 2 runs in 6 innings. I wonder how Sox fan's feel about trading away Meredith for a guy who only catches 1 pitcher. Meredith's arm angle has dropped back to normal and his stuff is hitting the bottom of the strikezone once again, it's been 4-5 appearances and I think it's safe to say he has worked out his bugs. Padres hitters need to start doing something 21 LOB is just ridiculous and should never happen, EVER.

June 23rd
Young dominated on the mound today 1hit ball on 7innings work with 11k's. Khalil was a monster today 2 home runs and a single along with a great play up the middle. The AAA third base umpire made a couple mistakes but at least he wasn't overpowered by his testosterone to not call the ump conferences to get the calls correct.

June 24th

Erratic, that's the way you can describe Peavy today after the first he couldn't get anyone out after getting ahead in the count, he went too Peavyish instead he needed to go Madduxish against this Boston lineup. Defense has been choking this last week, lots of plays that are usually made not being made. We need a couple high OBP guys, 10k's a night is just too many. With Adrian's slump we now have zero hitters above the .290 mark.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

June 25th
Justin Germano had another quality start going 6innings allowing 2 runs. He got pulled after 69 pitchers down a run(thanks offense) for a pinch hitter. We went on to tie the game the next inning only to have one of our more consistent bullpen arms blow it in Linebrink. Oh well tough luck.

June 26th
David Wells probably had his best start all year, going 7 innings and allowing 1 run. Too bad the offense yet again let him down. At least he didn't get a L. They pulled it together in extra innings after Linebrink blew his second outing in a row. Kouzmanoff hit his second game winning home run this season Cool I expect his average to start rising soon enough the kid is a hitter.

June 27th
Congratulations Mad Dog Career win 340. 7 innings 1 run one of his best outings of the year. The offense yet again nearly let a pitcher down, but they came through in the 8 on a 2 out rally started on a double by Marcus Giles. I like how Clemens is getting all the cooler talk, yet Maddux who is 3 years younger then Clemens is only 9 wins behind him. Hoffman collected another save to add on his ever growing lead on Smith and Rivera.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see Kouz hitting well...

Josh Barfield is doing great here in Cleveland. He's a fan favorite among many people already, his defense has been Gold Glove quality, and his bat is really coming around

April - .162 average
May - .278 average
June - .326 average

He's hitting .263 with 2 homers, 6 stolen bases, 36 RBI, 30 runs scored, Usually batting 7th, 8th, or 9 although he had a few starts in the two hole.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank god kouz is starting to live up to his billing. we definitely need his bat going into the latter half of this season.
The-Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while little to report and we were losing so I was avoiding doing updates ~. But after his previous 3 starts the struggling Germano seems to have found his grove again going 6.1 innings of scoreless 4 hit ball.

But for this update I thought to look deeper into the padres from an organizational standpoint. For the first time in a long time we have hitters moving up through the farm system and making names for themselves as top prospects.

Matt Antonelli age 22 (LE/SA) a converted 3rd Baseman out of college, since moving to a position not known as the hot corner has shown enough footspeed not to label him a defensive liability at 2B. After last years poor power output he put on 20lbs and it has clearly shown with 15 homers on the season including tonight. Since being called up to AA at the all star break he has done nothing but continue his tear this season hitting .326 32 extra base hits on the year. Making him one of the top hitters in the padres organization. His season has even drawn the praise of GM Kevin Towers labeling him someone to watch in spring training in 2008, if not 2008 he will definitely be the starting 2nd Baseman in 2009 when Marcus Giles hits the free agent market.

David Freese age 24 (LE) a little old for his league, and a man finding himself at a position of little need in the organization with two good prospects ahead of him at the moment in Headley and Kouzmanoff. Yet has continued his dominance at the plate from last year posting a .400+ OBP. His best bet to make it as a padre is a move to the outfield where frankly we are terrible, all the prospects being in lower Aball and rookie leagues.

Kyle Blanks age 20 (LE) by far my favorite prospect the mammoth at 6'6" and 265lbs. There are 2 thing you worry about with a guy his size is conditioning and position Adrian Gonzalez seems to be locked in at least through this contract at first, so can Blanks make a transition to another position to make the roster in the coming years? The one thing he has on his side is age but I'm not sure you want to hold a good young hitter in the minors too long might backfire when he hits FA. Well he came into camp 20lbs lighter then last season. The his power numbers weren't there last season, but he seems to have found his stroke, which by most scouts says has many flaws that can be fixed upon. If thats done I'm not sure what to think if he improves, he is already outplaying his 47th round selection by about the distance from the earth to the moon.

Chad Huffman age 22 (LE/SA) He has done what he seems to have since joining the padres, maybe the talent finally caught up to him though at SA. But I'll give him a little more time to adjust to it before condemning him. Another .400 OBP guy with a little pop, as they all are. If his arm strength holds through, I like him as another prospect to fill a Giles'es spot on the roster in 2009.

But lets not get carried away by the bats. Lake Elsinore has produce two starting pitchers that in my mind have easily become the best pitchers the system has produce since Peavy. They may not grade out as a 1 or 2, but as 3 and 4s I like them alot and that's what will be asked of them in a couple years if they make it, just in time to replace Wells and Maddux.

Manny Ayala age 22 - a okay fastball that sits around 90 with a nice downward plane. His + pitches are his offspeed stuff. The thing that makes him is his control though. His play hasn't dropped off since entering the Texas League, he's a guy you feel good about going against any hitter.

Matt Leblanc age 22 - a crafty lefty, with an okay arm. I project him as a good 3 or a great 4. Most people feel he doesn't have the stuff required out of him to be a 3 and project him as a 4 to 5. Maybe it's the homer in me that's being very optimistic about his future.

ps I hate the diamondbacks they always seem to spoil Youngs or Peavy's great start.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July 17th
Great game by Wells 6 innings and breaking out a knuckleball for the first time since 96. Barrett had a night at the plate 3/4 with 3 rbi.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offseason musings -

Who will stay -
Position players
Adrian Gonzalez
Khalil Greene
Brian Giles - sadly at 10m
Kevin Kouzmanoff
Josh Bard
Scott Hairston

Starting Pitchers
Jake Peavy
Chris Young
Greg Maddux - at 10m

Bullpen Pitchers
Joe Thatcher
Kevin Cameron
Cla Meredith
Heath Bell
Trevor Hoffman

Who's a FA - Possible return value?
Manny Alexander 2B
Michael Barrett C - Type B
Geoff Blum 2B
Milton Bradley RF - Type A
Doug Brocail RHRP
Mike Cameron CF - Type A
Brady Clark CF
Shawn Estes LHSP
Casey Fossum LHSP
Marcus Giles 2B
Todd Greene C
Rob Mackowiak RF
Scott Strickland RHRP
Brett Tomko RHSP

Players coming back? -
Milton Bradley - incentive laden deal
Geoff Blum - utility IF

CF

Possible Targeted Players -
Option A - Andrew Jones - 1 year deal at 12m that he will laugh at.
Option B - Corey Patterson - Far more likely the type of player we get to patrol CF

SP
Option A - Hiroki Kuroda - Depending on if posted 90's fastball, forkball, slider. Been trying to tap the Japanese market for a while and it fits from an organizational standpoint to go after him rather than give away a draft pick for an MLB FA pitcher.
Option B - Jason Jennings - He'll come cheap, we'll sign him cheap.

2B
Optiion A - Mark Lorreta - Stop Gap, waiting for Matt Antonelli
Option B - Matt Antonelli -

Fill in the 25 man Roster - Optimal - Likely
SP - Jake Peavy - Jake Peavy
SP - Chris Young - Chris Young
SP - Hiroki Kuroda - Greg Maddux
SP - Greg Maddux - Jason Jennings
SP - Clay Hensley, Justin Germano, Justin Hampson, Matt Leblanc(or AAA)

RP - Clay Hensley, Justin Germano, Justin Hampson
RP - Clay Hensley, Justin Germano, Justin Hampson
RP - Joe Thatcher
RP - Kevin Cameron
RP - Cla Meredith
RP - Heath Bell
RP - Trevor Hoffman

1. Brian Giles RF - Brian Giles RF
2. Mark Lorretta 2B - Mark Lorretta 2B
3. Adrian Gonzalez 1B - Milton Bradley LF
4. Andrew Jones CF - Adrian Gonzalez 1B
5. Milton Bradley LF - Kevin Kouzmanoff 3B
6. Kevin Kouzmanoff - Khalil Greene SS
7. Khalil Greene SS - Josh Bard C
8. Josh Bard C - Corey Patterson CF
The lineup on the left looks a lot better than the one on the right, although we would continue to have no speed.

B1 - Scott Hairston
B2 - Geoff Blum
B3 - Defensive Catcher
B4 - Craig Stansberry
B5 - Random fast outfielder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I suck at predicting.

For now,

Mike Cameron - Type B
Milton Bradley - Type A
Doug Brocail - Type B
Michael Barrett - Type A

Come on boys who wants them?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you guys can help me out,

Whats the perceived trade value for

Coco Crisp
David DeJesus
Reggie Willits

it's becoming more and more likely that the Padres trade for their new center fielder rather than dig in the FA market.

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyser, I think that this thread was the Padres official team thread.
FF Member #1031
The-Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankmoore wrote:
Keyser, I think that this thread was the Padres official team thread.
Yes it is, I dedicated a whole thread to talking to myself about the Padres!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll join you.
What are they going to do with that outfield ? We don't even know if Giles will be healthy by the start of the season. And what about left field ?
Someone tried to start a Barry Bonds Rumour. Even if that was a possibility.... Why would you get a left handed power hitter in that park ?
And what about Khalil Green ? Are they really thinking of trading him ?
He's a great fielder, but not a very smart hitter. They might as well bat him clean-up, because it's all or nothing with him. And last year was the first time he was healthy all year.
A.J. Hawk Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you guys locked up Khalil Greene for 2 years...

I'd like up a link, but I'm to lazy, but you can take my word for it.

3-Peat Footballs Future Elite Baseball League Champion
Peppers90 wrote:
If you win this year, I'll quit the league.
The-Beast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor wrote:
I'll join you.
What are they going to do with that outfield ? We don't even know if Giles will be healthy by the start of the season. And what about left field ?

Why would you get a left handed power hitter in that park ?

And what about Khalil Green ? Are they really thinking of trading him ?

Giles had microfracture surgery I don't expect him to be healthy at the start of the season. Hairston will likely start the season in RF, he was huge factor at the end of the 07 season with clutch hit after clutch hit.

Rumors say were looking at another trade, but the other plan is to see our best minor league hitter Chase Headley make a transition from 3B to LF.

I believe the thinking was platooning with Hairston if Headley failed. He's been snagging balls at petco during the offseason. Frankly it's retarded to try and go by the left Hitter vs RP because the ball just dies out there in RCF. Adrian Gonzalez crushed 20 balls to the warning track that would of been out in any other stadium.

No way we were ever thinking of trading Khalil during this season, the production we get from him is awesome. And that's why he was locked up for another 2 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: