Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers season preference
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you prefer to see a 49ers season end based on the choices
Play in Super Bowl and lose by 24+ points
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Play in Super Bowl and lose because of a very bad call by the refs
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
Lose the NFC Champioship game, but keep perfect Super Bowl record
73%
 73%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 34

Night Angel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoRicePlease80 wrote:
Night Angel wrote:
Ive gotta admit, I wasnt expecting a landslide vote like this ... very interesting. Looks like I will have to come up with a tougher one next

How about more realistic choices for next season such as:

1. Win the division but lose in the playoffs by 20
2. Earn a wildcard spot but lose in a close game
3. Win 10 games but due to Strength of Schedule and other such things fail to make the playoffs

Actually, in ym first post, I said this isnt meant just for next season, but rather the near future, but I can make one up like that next

1 problem with your poll tho is that we have the 3rd easiest schedule next year in the league, but we can work with something similar
ConvenientTruth

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems I'm the first to choose option A. I thought about each scenario from this point of view: How would I feel that day and how would feel the offseason?

Option C: Simply put, we have nothing to really hang our hat on. We did well, we won a game or two in the playoffs, and that's it. If we got here by winning our division, we put up a nice banner next year, yippee. This would also ruin the Super Bowl for me, as I wouldn't watch it. I don't really see how this is winning, though. You guys do realise we have to lose this one too, right? Whether it's a blowout or a tough loss, it's a loss. I'd rather take a win in the NFC Championship Game, thank you.
Comparison: 2006 Saints

Option B: I don't take bad calls well. Last time I saw a bad call against the 9ers(Rackers' "made" field goal) I got kicked out of a bar. A loss on a bad call would be heartwrenching, and I'd rather not be the better team and have to watch another team celebrate. I'd probably be crying or punching things, depending on the situation, but either way, not pretty.
Comparison: 2005 Seahawks

Option A: We win the NFC but we are obviously not the better team. We get beat big, you laugh it off and say "well there's next year." The guys are motivated by what the missed out on and work there tails off to be on the other side next year. We have 2 more weeks of glory as fans, get to see our team play another game, and that's what's important. What do we lose? A few bucks on a friendly bet with friends and our perfect Super Bowl record? I'd say it's worth it to see the 9ers in the Super Bowl again.
Comparison: 2006 Bears

Honestly, the 06 Bears would have the season I'd most want as a fan (not counting the New Orleans comeback stuff)

Last edited by ConvenientTruth on Fri December 21, 2012 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to bump this old thread. Not sure why, but I just kind of remembered a thread asking if we'd rather lose in the NFC Championship Game or the Super Bowl. This is the closest thing. So, it brings a good point:

I think we can all say at this point that, win or lose, we'd definitely rather be here now than have lost in the NFCCG to the Falcons. Perfect Super Bowl record is cool, and always will be, but even if we lose tonight to the Ravens I still would rather have the 5-1 Super Bowl record than another loss on the NFC Championship game record. All the losing culture around us had us not realizing how great it'd really be to be here, I guess. A strong majority voted against going to the Super Bowl. Laughing

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were to lose tonight, I WOULD have much rather lost to the Falcons, because I remember how crappy it felt last year to lose in the NFCCG, and I imagine losing in the Super Bowl will be worse (perfect record aside).

That, and this year would have had the added benefit of hoping a guy like Tony Gonzalez could win his Super Bowl ring.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 317
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 1045
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
If we were to lose tonight, I WOULD have much rather lost to the Falcons, because I remember how crappy it felt last year to lose in the NFCCG, and I imagine losing in the Super Bowl will be worse (perfect record aside).

That, and this year would have had the added benefit of hoping a guy like Tony Gonzalez could win his Super Bowl ring.

Yep.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

Yep.

I still take being in the game above not being in it, undoubtedly. Of course you'd rather lose before the Super Bowl because the weight of a Super Bowl loss is horrible, but I'll take the extra playoff win any day of the week.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: