Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why are the Raven so much better than the Steelers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your telling me that with Eli, the Steelers would have gone from 15-1 all the way to 8-8 and the Giants with Big Ben would go from 6-10 to 9-7 at the worst?

So instead of having Ward, Burress and Randle El, Big Ben would have Shockey, Amani Toomer and....well i cant even name another giants WR

instead of having the 2nd ranked rushing offense, Big Ben would have the 11th ranked rushing offense

instead of having the 1st ranked overall defense, Big Ben would have the 28th ranked defense

And despite all of this Big Ben would still lead the Giants to 9-7 or better record and still win offensive rookie of the year???

Also dont forget that Big Ben didnt post amazing stats 2600 yards, 17 TDs and 11 INTs is nothing that blows anyone away. Its very good for a rookie QB but not even if by some chance Ben could have the same stats with the Giants, theres no way that he would be undefeated with them and going 14-0 is why Big Ben won rookie of the year, not because he through 2600 yards, 17TDs and 11INTS, its the 14-0 record that won rookie of the year and that would not have been possible with the Giants.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the 2000 NFL season, the Pittsburgh Steelers have a 6-4 record against the Baltimore Ravens. The Steelers and Ravens have split the season series three out of the last four years, except in 2002, when the Steelers won both games that year. This rivalry has really picked up since the 2000 season, but even then, it's still one-sided.

Overall Series Record:
Pittsburgh Steelers = 13 wins
Baltimore Ravens = 6 wins

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a 6-3 record when they play in Baltimore, and a 7-3 record when they play in Pittsburgh. The Ravens have won 4 out of their 6 games in the series, since the 2000 season. Baltimore coach Brian Billick has a 5-8 record against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

This is not yet a full fledged rivalry, but it will be if the Baltimore Ravens can get closer to the amount of wins the Steelers have in the series matchup.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
ThunderDawg27

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

First off, i jus wanna say to SteelProven that i don't disagree the fact that the QB is probably the main guy in your offense and i see where your argument is, but again, i don't think u can completely ignore supporting cast.

Perfect example...Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle. He's already a solid QB and played very well this past season, but Seattle could've had a much better record and had more success offensively, even with Shaun Alexander. So why didn't they have a better offense than what they had and could've had a much better record than 9-7? The rest of the offense couldn't catch the ball for anything... Funny though, cuz that's how their season ended in the first round of the playoffs against the Rams where Hasselbeck threw it right at the wideout(forgot who it was) in the endzone, and the receiver just dropped it... Each and every week there was at least a handful of dropped passes by the Seahawks, even by Alexander comin outta the backfield. And it wasn't like Hasselbeck was way off on his throws, they were right on the money. So what good is it if your QB is accurate and throws the ball right where it needs to go when your wideouts can't catch anything?

Again, i completely understand where your coming from, and that your QB doesn't necessarily have to put up P. Manning numbers, but just be efficient, not make mistakes, and make big plays here and there like Roethlisberger did for most of this past season. But even in the slightest form, u have to have a supporting cast that can do the job. Yeah, u got guys like McNabb and Vick who just will their teams down the field when they have to, but even they, as good an athletes as they are, need help once in a while, cuz sometimes it's just not enough. I also understand that McNabb didn't have the greatest receivers either like Hasselbeck has had the past couple of years, but McNabb can at least make that up with his mobility, while Hasselbeck really doesn't run a lot.

Seriously though, wouldn't u agree that having guys like Tony Gonzalez, Marvin Harrison, Moss, Tomlinson, etc. would obviously make things a lot easier for u and give your QB and your team a better chance to be successful?

-ThunderDawg27
raven5255

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the key to that statement is "since 2000 the rivalry has picked up"

Before then we were absolutly horrible but weve been steadily improving with better players, better management and i think most importantly better coaching.

1996: 4-12
1997: 6-9-1
1998: 6-10
1999: 8-8 *
2000: 12-4
2001: 10-6
2002: 7-9 **
2003: 10-6
2004: 9-7
*= Biran Billick's first season
**= Year after massive cuts that forced the Ravens to use the youngest team in NFL history. Many projected the Ravens to finish as bad as 3-13 or atleast have a top 5 draft pick.

Your definetly right that the Steelers have the edge on the Ravens since they pretty much owned us until 2000. If we can keep going at the rate we are at, i think the series will definetly start to even out or atleast look less one sided.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to say is I hope everybody still around when the ravens face the steeler and vice versa.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say something, and it has to be said. And no, I'm not going to say that the Ravens suck or put down the Baltimore Ravens in any way, shape, or form. So, here it is...

Both of our teams, the Baltimore Ravens and the Pittsburgh Steelers, may have a rivalry. But on this board, it seems like our teams' fans actually get along pretty well. Maybe it's just me. But we seem to actually have insightful arguments and back them up with stats and facts.

That's all I had to say... now watch me get blasted for saying it LOL.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
raven5255

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i agree bigben. me and steelproven have had a nice little debate, ive got nothign against him personally, and ive enjoyed talking football with him so i hope hes not upset with me or anything. i definetly agree, i think the Ravens and Steelers have a good rivalry and its good that fans of the respective teams can have good clean football talk.
Taylor-36 Portis-26

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
no i agree bigben. me and steelproven have had a nice little debate, ive got nothign against him personally, and ive enjoyed talking football with him so i hope hes not upset with me or anything. i definetly agree, i think the Ravens and Steelers have a good rivalry and its good that fans of the respective teams can have good clean football talk.

It's not uncommon around these boards, I've had decent not great but decent debates with cowboy fans.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the respect in the world for the Ravens. If I didn't bleed black and gold I'd sure nuff be routing for the Ravens. The Ravens and Steelers are very similar as far as team concept goes. The Ravens have been a model for defenses for the past 5 years no matter what there record. The Steelers have been known for there defense since the early 70's to the present. Though there were some lackluster years in there but everybody gets my drift. Even though this rivalry has been one sided it's definitely going to pick up with the emergence of both QB's.

Raven5255 no blood no foul and I hope this is the begining of some great Ravens and Steelers debates.
raven5255

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Raven5255 no blood no foul and I hope this is the begining of some great Ravens and Steelers debates.

Steelproven- il look forward to shredding more of your arguements over the coming months.

Nah im just kiddin with you man, but i really look forward to talking some good football with you. in the words of george bush "bring it on"
mic79e

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenROY wrote:
Since the 2000 NFL season, the Pittsburgh Steelers have a 6-4 record against the Baltimore Ravens. The Steelers and Ravens have split the season series three out of the last four years, except in 2002, when the Steelers won both games that year.

Hey, it's been close enough in recent years.

I have plenty of respect for the Steelers. They do have the edge on the Ravens, both in the rivalry, and because they are the 15-1 division champions. They've got great coaches, LeBeau is the real MVP of that defence and deserves more credit, and some absolute warriors like Hines Ward, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith and James Farrior.

I just can't wait for these teams to play. With the emergence of Ben Roethlisberger, who deserves the credit he gets, cast or no cast he had a phenomenal year, this gives the Steelers a great future. I just love good match-ups and seeing the Ravens outstanding defence against great offensive playmakers like Roethlisberger and Ward is what it's all about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: