Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why are the Raven so much better than the Steelers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Why are the Raven so much better than the Steelers? Reply with quote

I just had to ask the question I don't care if nobody answers. I understand that the Ravens won a Superbowl. Thats a huge accomplishment and Im very envious. But this year things are a little different I understand they got K. Boller some help but do you honestly think the Raven are that much better? I mean if we mirror these to teams they have just as many good or great players as one another. I would list all the players but why should I. I mean if your on this site you know who the steelers have just like I know who the ravens have. But if some one, anyone for that matter can reply back with a answer I'd appreciate it.
mic79e

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I look at is, Pittsburgh are the current division champions, and we're the ones trying to make up ground.

On paper the Ravens look to have improved quite a bit, but the Steelers are a very good team, and I think both teams are going to have to fight hard to win the division. I wouldn't totally discount the Bengals either. The Browns are a few years away from competing for the playoffs
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the one thing the Ravens have on the steelers is R. Lewis. The one thing I think the steelers have on the Ravens is B. Roethlisberger. They both are better then there counter part. Even though I think J. Farrior made up a little ground. Even though R. Lewis is still way out in front. But K. Boller has a while to go to match Roethlisberger that's my opinion.
mic79e

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. The only thing the Steelers have over the Ravens is Roethlisberger, but QB is a pretty important position.

I just can't wait to see them play each other over the next decade. Roethlisberger vs Ed Reed and our secondary! There is no better match-up in football than Steelers vs Ravens. Although I'd love to see the Raven's defence against the Raider's offence as well.
DaKingPin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone say rothlisberger is better then boller. Rothlisberger had 3 good recievers. Boller had 0. This year boller will live up to his expectations, becasue now he has 2 good recievers and a descent third one in clarance moore, and of course todd heap. Steelers had one good season i think they will end up third in the division behind ravens and bengals.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did T. Dilfer have that K. Boller doesn't? B. Leftwich would of been a better choice. T. Suggs has pan out fine, but the Ravens have a knack for finding gems in later rounds. Boulware (2nd) Hartwell (4th) are just a few there are more but you get my drift. Palmer, Leftwich and even Grossman (before injury) all look poised for greatness. While K. Boller just looked stuck in idle. What's gonna happen if he doesn't pan out this season. The Ravens are never gonna be bad enough to have a draft pick higher than 15. I would of brought some one in to challenge him a little bit and see how he handles a little adversity.
Jdrocco01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I feel the one thing the Ravens have on the steelers is R. Lewis. The one thing I think the steelers have on the Ravens is B. Roethlisberger. They both are better then there counter part. Even though I think J. Farrior made up a little ground. Even though R. Lewis is still way out in front. But K. Boller has a while to go to match Roethlisberger that's my opinion.

*Don't forget about Joey Porter either. Although Ray is the best LB in the NFL...Porter matches up all right and they get in disputes everytime they play each other...which I love.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
What did T. Dilfer have that K. Boller doesn't? B. Leftwich would of been a better choice. T. Suggs has pan out fine, but the Ravens have a knack for finding gems in later rounds. Boulware (2nd) Hartwell (4th) are just a few there are more but you get my drift. Palmer, Leftwich and even Grossman (before injury) all look poised for greatness. While K. Boller just looked stuck in idle. What's gonna happen if he doesn't pan out this season. The Ravens are never gonna be bad enough to have a draft pick higher than 15. I would of brought some one in to challenge him a little bit and see how he handles a little adversity.

Dilfer didnt have great receivers, but they could catch. Travis Taylor had trouble catching many easy passes and Johnsonseemed to never get open. Boulware was taken with the 4th overall pick in the 97 draft and suggs has done wayt more than "pan out fine" I think Kyle will have a decent, not great year
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the question is what has the steelers done AGAINST US to believe they are so superior to us? u may have gone 15-1, but by the end of the year u guys were beatable. i think steelers got so high off of roethlisberger that they forgot that they lost 30-13 to the Ravens in Week 2. Roethlisberger would not have made the difference, because we shut down the run that day, and when the steelers can't run, roethlisberger can't pass. so don't forget that we split the season series last year w/o a reciever. now we've got 2 great recievers in mason and clayton, as well as a healthy ogden and heap something we didn't have in the second meeting between us last year.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
mic79e

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaKingPin wrote:
Why does everyone say rothlisberger is better then boller.

Because he is. I'm a Raven's fan, but come on. Roethlisberger had the best rookie season for a QB since Dan Marino. He had a better game against the Patriots defence, in his first attempt, than Peyton Manning has ever had. Supporting cast doesn't even come in to it, at this stage there is absolutely no comparison between Ben Roethlisberger and Kyle Boller.

Jdrocco01 wrote:
Don't forget about Joey Porter either. Although Ray is the best LB in the NFL...Porter matches up all right.

That's ridiculous. Porter isn't half the player that Ray Lewis is. You're comparing a future Hall of Famer to a guy that would struggle to make the pro bowl if he wasn't part of the Steeler's 3-4.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
i think the question is what has the steelers done AGAINST US to believe they are so superior to us? u may have gone 15-1, but by the end of the year u guys were beatable. i think steelers got so high off of roethlisberger that they forgot that they lost 30-13 to the Ravens in Week 2. Roethlisberger would not have made the difference, because we shut down the run that day, and when the steelers can't run, roethlisberger can't pass. so don't forget that we split the season series last year w/o a reciever. now we've got 2 great recievers in mason and clayton, as well as a healthy ogden and heap something we didn't have in the second meeting between us last year.

And the lie detector test says, " that's a lie" Todd Heap had 3 for 34 yards and even though he's a great lineman (Ogden) he by no way an means decides the out come of a game. He doesn't catch or throw nor tackle. We decimated the Ravens in week 16 and yes the Ravens beat the steelers in week 2. But that's week 2 when teams normally are finding there groove. But, whats the excuse for teams beaten in week 16?
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the lie detector test says, " that's a lie" Todd Heap had 3 for 34 yards and even though he's a great lineman (Ogden) he by no way an means decides the out come of a game. He doesn't catch or throw nor tackle. We decimated the Ravens in week 16 and yes the Ravens beat the steelers in week 2. But that's week 2 when teams normally are finding there groove. But, whats the excuse for teams beaten in week 16?

1. Baltimoreterp never said Heap didnt play, he did, but he was not healthy, he was still recovering from his injury in week 2 and was never full strenght the rest of the season.

2. Ogden is the cornerstone of the Ravens offense, he anchors everything, without him its just not the same.

3. Yes you decimated the Ravens in week 16 and we decimated the steelers in week 2.

4. I dont believe there is an excuse for either teams lossing, however if i had to make one i would say massive injuries and wear and tear to almost half of our starting lineup would be a pretty big factor in lossing in week 16. In week 2, you can say teams are "finding there groove" but a well prepared team shouldnt have to do that. being ready for action in week 2 is something you can control. massive injuries to your star players which causes you to lose in week 16 cannot be controlled

Wow, that was an easy argument to tear up...
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
Quote:

1. Baltimoreterp never said Heap didnt play, he did, but he was not healthy, he was still recovering from his injury in week 2 and was never full strenght the rest of the season.

2. Ogden is the cornerstone of the Ravens offense, he anchors everything, without him its just not the same.

3. Yes you decimated the Ravens in week 16 and we decimated the steelers in week 2.

4. I dont believe there is an excuse for either teams lossing, however if i had to make one i would say massive injuries and wear and tear to almost half of our starting lineup would be a pretty big factor in lossing in week 16. In week 2, you can say teams are "finding there groove" but a well prepared team shouldnt have to do that. being ready for action in week 2 is something you can control. massive injuries to your star players which causes you to lose in week 16 cannot be controlled

Wow, that was an easy argument to tear up...

So the steelers didn't have injuries? Come on use yea head not your mouth. Steelers major injuries K. Bell, C. Hampton, C. Scott, K. Simmons, and Duce Staley so which one of these player aren't a major factor. Ravens major injuries P. Boulware, J. Ogden, T. Heap. Who's injuries are worse. Steelers hands down
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendrell Bell hasnt done anything since 2001 or whenever he won the rookie year, so him not being healthy shouldnt be a factor.
The true list of the ravens starters that were either out or heavily beaten up to the point that they need to constantly sub-out are
Jon Ogden- 7 time probowler
Mike Flynn-starting center
Orlando Brown- starting RT
Peter Boulware-Starting OLB (4 time probowler)
Ray Lewis starting MLB- No explanation needed
Deon Sanders Nickelback- Best CB of all time
Todd Heap- Ravens only offensive weapon
Jamal Lewis- 2000 yard rusher

That 8 guys that had huge rolls for the Ravens. Steelers didnt lose anything close to that. Maybe you need to use your head before you to tell me to use mine huh?
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
Kendrell Bell hasnt done anything since 2001 or whenever he won the rookie year, so him not being healthy shouldnt be a factor.
The true list of the ravens starters that were either out or heavily beaten up to the point that they need to constantly sub-out are
Jon Ogden- 7 time probowler
Mike Flynn-starting center
Orlando Brown- starting RT
Peter Boulware-Starting OLB (4 time probowler)
Ray Lewis starting MLB- No explanation needed
Deon Sanders Nickelback- Best CB of all time
Todd Heap- Ravens only offensive weapon
Jamal Lewis- 2000 yard rusher

That 8 guys that had huge rolls for the Ravens. Steelers didnt lose anything close to that. Maybe you need to use your head before you to tell me to use mine huh?

Dont forget, Gregg, a major contributor, and McCalister, a top 5 corner on every list had injuries/lost some time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: