Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots @ Steelers Predictions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who'll win the AFC title game?
The Steelers
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
The Patriots
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 21

azazaz7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Patriots @ Steelers Predictions Reply with quote

I think it'll be a very tight game and it could come down to a duel between the kickers.

The Steelers defense didn't allow the Jets into the red zone once on Saturday. If you discount the 2 TDs the offense and special teams gave up against the Jets, the Steelers defense have only given up 26 points in their last 5 home games!

I think that the Patriots will draw up a scheme to neutralise Ward and Burress. If that's the case, Antwan Randle El could have a big game. Staley shouold start and let the Bus run on tired legs in the 4th quarter (and overtime if needs be).

The Steelers to win by 19-16: 4 Jeff Reed FGs and a Randle El punt return (it's about time!) against 3 FGs from Vinatieri and a Dillon TD run for the Patriots.
Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see us come out in a 4 or 5 WR set. Throw the ball all over the place.
I don't think the Pats have the manpower to stay with our WR's in their Secondary.

I definitely want to see us get more guys involved in the passing game. Ward had a big day vs the Jets but the rest caught just a couple of passes.

HAVE to win the Line of Scrimmage. If we don't, we lose. Get in Brady's face....straight up the middle.

Got to play error free. I don't want to give the Pats second chances. They will kill us if that is the case.

Deliver the first punch. Be first to initiate contact. Hit to kill.

Get out to a quick lead. It gets the crowd into the game.

Be first in all situations.

Steelers 17.....Pats 13.
The Pentaverate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, all I'm hearing is that Corey Dillon will be the difference for the Bengals -- as if the Steelers aren't consistently among the top run stopping teams in the league. The Patriots may run the ball, but they aren't going to shred the Steelers' D like they did the Colts.

Bottom line is both teams will play ball control and try to minimize mistakes. A late turnover will make the difference either way. Right now, I see a Dillon fumble late in the game.

Steelers win 14-10.
blitzburgh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers are going to do exactly what we did last time. That is come out in a power 2WR set let Rodney Harrison creep up into the box and go deep to Plax for an early touchdown. That will immediately put their defense in disarray and they won't know to either put 8 in the box or keep the safties deep. Once we have them on their heels we run Bettis and Staley right down their throats.

As for Dillion, once we go up early just like last time they will have to abandon the run and that will give us the chance to blitz more and force Brady into a few more picks.

I think an underrated match-up that most people aren't thinking about is Chris Hoke. If he can consistently use his speed to cause havoc and force New England's OGs to help the center out we will get all kinds of pressure on the quraterback.

Special Teams will also be very crucial in this game. If we can get some big returns from Randle EL to keep the crowd into the game and limit any chances for them to gaim momentum from the return game we should be ok.
blitzburgh86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the scoop on Bell,is he gonna be able to play or is he scratched for the season.
jags28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a jaguars fan and i would like to see The Steelers win the SUPERBOWL
blitzburgh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was down there in jacksonville forthe game earlier and would love to come back for another visit i na few weeks!
russellt1229

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im really pulling for the steelers in this game, but its all going to come down to the effectiveness of Staley. to me, it didnt seem like cowher used him very much in the divisional game, so unless hes injured, they should give it to him more. the pats and steelers both have the same game plan, its just gonna come down to who runs it more effectively
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prediction:

Pittsburgh Steelers 24
New England Patriots 19

People need to stop gettin on the Patriots nuts, for the simple fact that they say "when the Patriots face a rookie QB they destroy him"... yeah, that worked so well the first time around in week 8. if i remember correctly, the Steelers won that game. this is gonna be a tough game, i personally think its gonna come down to the final play of the game. whether it be a TD, a FG, or a defensive stop. should be a classic game for a longtime to come. real stat of the game is gonna be ball control... if either one of these teams hold the ball for 35+ minutes, i think that's gonna be the team who wins.

Strengths for Steelers:
Physical running game to compliment physical wide recievers. A quarterback who can break arm tackles as well, which goes well with giving his receivers time to get open downfield.

Strengths for Patriots:
Great defensive-minded coach who can stop most quarterbacks on any given day. Physical defense and offense which compliment eachother perfectly in the playoffs.

is gonna be strength vs. strength in this game. best thing to do, is attack a team's strength because they will have never expected it. thats how the Patriots beat the Colts, they attacked the Colts speed, and won 20-3. should be good.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
rblevens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

17-14 NE

Corey Dillon is the difference maker

Tom Brady will shred your secondary anyways...

I think the best match-up will be Tedy Bruschi and Bettis

Also Willie McGinest and Big Ben

It's going to be a great game! I will post my opinions at half time on how both teams are doing etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most interesting aspect of all the posts I've seen is that every person thinks there will only be 3 or 4 points in it come the end of the game.

I think a few things will swing this game in the Steelers favor.

Firstly, there is the Randle El factor. He's due a big punt return and the Patriots haven't exactly excelled in that this year.

Secondly, home advantage will play a part. The Steelers are undefeated at Heinz Field this year. Jeff Reeds knowledge of the wind could play a big part in the kicking game.

Thirdly, the Steelers have had an extra day to recover from their previous game than the the Patriots have had. This late in the season, that's a big advantage.

Fourthly, even though Dillon is playing and will help the Patriots run game, the Steelers have only allowed 1 100 yard rusher all year. Considering the Steelers have faced 8 teams who have an RB has over 1000yds for the season that's a phenomenal achievement. While Dillon will undoubtably help the Pats, his presense won't scare the Steelers - they saw him twice a year for 7 years in Cincinnati and now 1 year in NE.

Fifthly, the Steelers front 7 know how to break through the Patriots O-Line and get to Brady. I think Porter or Haggans will have a big day.

Finally, there's the Belichick factor. While most teams are in awe of him, the Steelers shouldn't be. Cowher has an 8-4 career record against Belichick coached teams. He knows how to beat him.

I think it's funny how before the 1st meeting between these 2 teams, people were saying that Belichick would find a way to make Roethlisberger uneasy inthe pocket and were therefore going to win. Now the same people are saying that Belichick, having seen Ben play, will have figured out how to beat him. Belichick is a future Hall of Fame head coach put I think people are taking his presence a bit too far - he's helped by the best OC and DC around.

Like i said at the top of this thread, Randle El could have a huge game. After what Burress did to Gay in the last meeting between these teams, the Patriots will guard him closely. I see a ploy in place whereby the Steelers get the running game going and then initiate a lot of play action passes. Usually Ben looks deep on play action but I think he could use Randle El a lot today as his main option to throw the Patriots defense. When NE wise up to this and put more men in the box, then Burress will be left one on one with Gay.

If either team reaches 20 points they will win this game. I think the Steelers will hold on to win 19-16.
rblevens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that the pats stomped the steelers and big ben played like crap, can you get a new signature please!

it streches out the forums - makes it hard to read...

if you dont want to take out big ben, take out usc...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game was about momentum and setting the tone. Big Ben's early interception (first pass) set the tone for NE's dominance. The pressure must've gotten to Ben, he made some poor decisions, but anyways, I'm not really criticizing him because he IS a rookie after all. Anyways, here's my question to the Steeler's staff:

Why in the world would you settle for a field goal during the fourth quarter I believe, when they were at the 2 yard line??? Furthermore, why attempt a pass on second and goal to Burress??? Aren't the Steelers the team that prides itself in smash mouth football? When I observed the playoffs (especially AFC), it was conservatism that was the downfall to a lot of teams. The Chargers, Jets, and now Steelers, whiel trying to be conservative, were unable to put up the big 7 or 3 which could've won the game or changed the momentum. That time was a crucial moment in the game, especially to swing momentum, but alas, conservatism kills the cat!

Anyways, I think it's evident what the Steelers need from observing this game. A top-notch corner. Branch had too many big plays, and teh Steelers allowed Brady to continue his undefeated playoff success, despite having the best total defense. The Steelers allowed 34 points (41 if you include Big Ben's INT to TD return). Perhaps Justin Miller, Corey Webster, Brandon Browner, or Carlos Rogers (if he falls to the Steelers) would upgrade the Steelers to a much more threatening defensive team next year.

Last edited by Namy5280 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
azazaz7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Namy5280 wrote:
This game was about momentum and setting the tone. Big Ben's early interception (first pass) set the tone for NE's dominance. The pressure must've gotten to Ben, he made some poor decisions, but anyways, I'm not really criticizing him because he IS a rookie after all. Anyways, here's my question to the Steeler's staff:

Why in the world would you settle for a field goal during the fourth quarter I believe, when they were at the 2 yard line??? Furthermore, why attempt a pass on second and goal to Burress??? Aren't the Steelers the team that prides itself in smash mouth football? When I observed the playoffs (especially AFC), it was conservatism that was the downfall to a lot of teams. The Chargers, Jets, and now Steelers, whiel trying to be conservative, were unable to put up the big 7 or 3 which could've won the game or changed the momentum. That time was a crucial moment in the game, especially to swing momentum, but alas, conservatism kills the cat!

Anyways, I think it's evident what the Steelers need from observing this game. A top-notch corner. Branch had too many big plays, and teh Steelers allowed Brady to continue his undefeated playoff success, despite having the best total offense. The Steelers allowed 34 points (41 if you include Big Ben's INT to TD return). Perhaps Justin Miller, Corey Webster, Brandon Browner, or Carlos Rogers (if he falls to the Steelers) would upgrade the Steelers to a much more threatening defensive team next year.

Your observation of the game is spot on. If you look at the passing yards, rushing yards, kick returns and time of possession, the teams were very evenly matched. The only primary thing that settled it for the Patriots (and deservedly so) was that they were very efficient in punishing Pittsburghs mistakes. The Patriots were ruthless in putting away the Steelers and the early 10 point deficit proved too much for the Steelers to cope with, just like the Patriots couldn't cope with the Steelers start in October.

I think a great rivalry is brewing between these two teams and we'll see them play in a few more AFC title games over the next 4-5 years. Roethlisberger will have learned from this experience and it will make him a better player in the long run. At least we'll have more of a choice on which CB we want in the draft seeing as we'll be picking before NE now!

I want to congratulate the Patriots on a great performance. The 60's had the Packers, the 70's had the Steelers, the 80's had the 49ers, the 90's had the Cowboys and now we have the Patriots as the model franchise in the 00's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: