Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Outsider's view on Broncos draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idi Amin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Outsider's view on Broncos draft Reply with quote

The three CBs in rounds 2-3

I am one of the few who really like this. Two years in a row you get into the playoffs and the Colts pass all over you in a rout...you bring in Champ who shuts down MArvin, but then Payton picks apart the rest of the CBs...so you get 3 CBs who are speed demons and run 3 of the fastest 10 yard dashes and great shuttle and cones...putting these three out there - a lot of field will be covered and if you are ever going to beat Indy, this was the way to do it.

Clarett

This was a horrible pick. They took 3 CBs leaving holes at WR, OL, and S. For S, the next pick was Considine who would have been a great addition. Lynch is getting old and you lost Kenoy, so you need a couple safeties...Many S were still available at that point as were OL and WR...Shanahan must be confident that Watts will be a starter once Rod Smith retires (which should be soon) and Lelie break out big time like Javon Walker last year. They also could have used a QB to challenge Kannell, but there are a few in FA (Dougherty and J.Allen)

You used a 2nd last year on Tatum Bell, bring in Dayne (if you're looking at bigger backs), why invest another high pick and more $$ on RB, especially one that will be available later in the draft, especially considering that you didn't have a 4th or 5th.

OL Chris Meyers and the K

I Don't really have a comment on the K, I guess they just want insurance for Elam, maybe he is a little banged up right now, but I think they could have picked up another OL or S to get into training camp and see what they got...Meyers is a decent pick, nothing special, but Denver needs depth on the OL and the more in training camp the better...plus Denver's coaching staff is great at developing OL

All in all it was a decent draft that could have been very good if you had picked up a S, WR or OL instead of Clarrett...don't let the masses get to you, you needed the 3 CBs Lenny Walls and Willie Middlebrooks are not the answer - Payton has proven that

I see that you picked up Browner who should be moved to S...before the chuck rule he was a 1st rounder...Pryce should take a lot of pressure off of Warren and C.Brown and with the change in scenery - could be great pickups...you already have arguable the best LB core in the NFL with DJ, Gold, and Al Wilson.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and for picking up that kicker.. the broncos want Jason to only be a Place Kicker (as in field goals only).. so they brought in a kid to try and win the kickoff job... but i still think Elam will kick-off because the rookie K can't be as good as Elam.'

Yeah and ive calmed down after being really pissed with them drafting Clarrett, but i still have doubts.. i still wanted Fason to be a Bronco.. i hope Shanahan knows what hes doing... this year for the Broncos is Superbowl or Bust... or just beating the Colts in the first round this year.

I hope Broncos pick up LenDale White Next year (if he comes out early [probably a 2nd round pick if he comes out]).. so then Bell and White can be lightning and thunder instead of ... Dayne or Clarrett...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerome mathis at 101 would have been much better than clarett. or sean considine. or ciatrick fason. or chris canty. or antajj hawthorne. or...
broncos_fan _from _uk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Outsider's view on Broncos draft Reply with quote

Idi Amin wrote:
They also could have used a QB to challenge Kannell, but there are a few in FA (Dougherty and J.Allen)

shanahan seems to have settled on Van Pelt and mauk to fight for the back up job. i like van pelt he fits the role out type of qb the broncos utilize and is a leader now if only he could become more accurate.

Idi Amin wrote:
You used a 2nd last year on Tatum Bell, bring in Dayne (if you're looking at bigger backs), why invest another high pick and more $$ on RB,

i agree we shouldnt have gotten him, although he could turn out to be good, but at least we didnt spend big on him. the denver post is sayng we gave him a $400,000 signing bonus.

Idi Amin wrote:
I Don't really have a comment on the K, I guess they just want insurance for Elam, maybe he is a little banged up right now,
hes a P/K he led the Div II in punting yards at 47 yrd / punt
Idi Amin wrote:
Meyers is a decent pick, nothing special, but Denver needs depth on the OL and the more in training camp the better...plus Denver's coaching staff is great at developing OL

have you ever seen a broncos O lineman who was considered special coming out of college?
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Outsider's view on Broncos draft Reply with quote

broncs_fan_from_UK wrote:
have you ever seen a broncos O lineman who was considered special coming out of college?

george foster. he was a first rounder. but i get your point.
tom nalen - 7th round compensatory
matt lepsis - undrafted free agent
ben hamilton - 4th round
dan neil - 3rd round

we've got a great track record of turning ok prospects into an awesome o-line.
The_Jester

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myers can long snap as well, which means Leach can be released, which opens up a roster spot.
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's not forget the REAL reason we brought in myers...he's from The U. you can never have enough canes on your roster.
blunoranj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, Clarett was a good pick up. A bit premature, but good. (Supposedly, Dallas was also interested in him.)

If Bell gets injured (remember he didn't make it through the entire season w/o getting hurt), who do we have to take his place? Q and a bunch of fullbacks? We needed a running back for depth, if for nothing else.

I know it's been a while, but try to remember how awesome Clarett was when he was playing ball for Ohio State.
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had no problem taking a RB in the draft. i knew we could face problems in our backfield this year. my problem comes from not picking the best RB for RIGHT NOW and that was ciatrick fason. if we think tatum is our back of the future, why pick a guy that we need to develop. ciatrick is very ready to step in this year and make an impact. i don't think clarett will do any damage to opposing defenses this year. i'm not saying that he won't be good down the line, but down the line isn't a problem right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: