Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

free safety
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

who do you want as the charger's free safety next year?
dwight smith
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
will demps
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
thomas davis
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
other (please specify)
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: free safety Reply with quote

i know basically all of us agree on getting a free safety. Some want dwight smith or demps, others want a drafted one. I'm wondering about the drafted one. Who do you guys have in mind and when should we pick them? And is there anyone besides will demps or dwight smith you'd like to pick up from fa? I think we should draft Underwood from sdsu.
supratony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya well i like smith.... n if he doesn't workout then i guess back to the drawing board.... this whole problem would've been solved last yr if we would've just traded down and took taylor....
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Smith too. I voted for him. I'm sure AJ will look at him and Gates will try and lure Smith to come over to us. They are friends afterall. The way he practically shutdown Gates makes it even more obvious that we need to get him. He is pretty good at shutting down TE's. We have a lot of good TE's in our division so I would like to have him. On another thought of drafting one. I would prefer a seasoned veteran than a FS whose a rookie.
SDChargers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we definatley need veteran in our secondary, especially if oens gonna replace Wilson. Wilsons veteran but just doesnt have the speed, so having dwigth he could read the offenses. Plus look at the other former bucs on our team.
supratony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so hopefully we can get dwight.... but dude.... who much better of a situation would we be in right now if we just too sean taylor last yr.... Confused
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. We'd be in a whole lot better situation if we did draft him. Although, I think I heard he has character issues. So, I'm pretty sure that's why they didn't go that route. That and wanting to upgrade our QB situation.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think drafting a fs would be the way to go. We want a quick free safety so we don't get burned by all those santana moss' out there. We want a quick fs who can play one deep zone.
phicart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draft...Shazor from Michigan...6'3", 225-230, ran 4.43 40 in high school, All American, lead Michigan in tackles this season, can get him cheap in the second round. I'm out.
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we do need a FS. But, I want an experienced FS not a rookie. No matter if the guy can run that quick he is still a rookie. That being said he will make mistakes. I say no to rookies and I'd rather have dwight Smith anyway. He can cover TE's and he's a pretty good safety. I heard that FS is the general of teh secondary so unless Ernest Shazzor is pretty inteligent and wise to be calling plays for them. No to a rookie FS.
ferochis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rookies at fs, this defense is young enough. we need a veteran who can provide leadership. Why did we get rid of Harrison? I like smith or demps.
supratony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferochis wrote:
Why did we get rid of Harrison?

o... i got the answer for u.... that was the one move last yr that really got to me.... the front office blamed rodney for the mistakes of stupid rodgers beckett.... n i remember the one play they kept point'n out too..... do ya'll remember play'n KC last yr n eddie kennison caught a like 99 yrd td? well the tv people r stupid too cause they said it was rodney's fault that kennison got it... but if u really look at that play... they were play'n man coverage... not zone... n rodney cut under to take tony n beckett's sorry [inappropriate/removed] had to take kennison as he cut over tony's rount n instead of stay'n with kennison beckett's sorry [inappropriate/removed] decided to take gonzales.... so kennison then ran wide open....
phicart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: free safety Reply with quote

I'm thinking more along the lines that we had a pretty good team this year with just a few weak spots. With the safeties we have we ran a 12-4...oops, 12-5 record this years. We got hurt most at the front end of the season as guys were getting their act together and at the end when our DB's were falling faster than last week's rain. I really do feel we don't have to panic and start paying the big bucks for an experienced, wiley old veteran. Hey, Wilson is going into his tenth year, Kiel into his third, as are most of the rest of the guys back there including the CB's. Our defensive backfield has experience, they just don't have the raw athletisim to get us to the next level. Get some youngblood now while we can AFFord a few blown coverages in the early part of the season. As far as Shazor's brain power, don't know a lot about it...he his a business science major and also enrolled in the U of M Division of Kinesiology. Heck, I figure you got to some brains to even spell that! Maybe he's trying to figure out a way to juice and not get caught...why else would you study muscles?
greatone323

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Shazor will be available Reply with quote

Shazor will be available with the Chargers second pick in round one. Im crossing my fingers for Derrick Johnson with the pick we got from the Giants. I think its going to be Shaun Cody of USC which would be an excellent pick as well
Lowe_51

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about rodney harrison, we got rid of him because he had put on too much weight and was becoming a huge liability in coverage even as a strong saftey. even his tackling numbers were way down the last couple years in SD. he wasn't giving it his all, didn't seem to care, or maybe he was getting frustrated. either way, he was on the decline big time.
when he was released, new england told him if he lost about 15-18 pounds to get his speed back, and get in shape, they would give him a contract. so he got motivated to play for a winner, went out and got himself back to being the same player he was in the mid-90's. so good riddance to him. if he wasn't motivated enough to do the same thing in order to play is SD, then screw him.
i'm not sure why it's such a big deal he's gone anyway. he's a strong safety, and we have a good young strong safety in kiel. maybe not yet the pro bowl caliber that harrison was, but he looks to be developing well. you couldn't move either of them to free, they just don't have the speed and coverage instincts to be back there.
i don't have a problem with drafting a free safety if the staff feels like there's one available who can step right in. we need a guy who can flat out fly back there because none of our corners has elite speed. florence maybe, but davis and jammer are more in the 4.5 range, more physical than speed corners. but with the winning season we just had, san diego will look a lot more attractive to FA's and if we can get a demps or smith for a fair price, it wouldn't be a bad idea. i just wonder if both of them might be a bit overrated, because they play for two of the best pass rushing defenses in the league, and a pass rush makes a free safety's job a lot easier.
Bauer37

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get that Harrison information?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: