You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mark’s Review of the Draft and Thoughts on Training Camp

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky_b27

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Mark’s Review of the Draft and Thoughts on Training Camp Reply with quote

Mark’s Review of the Draft and Thoughts on Training Camp

The Draft

Round 2 Pick 36 – Kevin Kolb QB Houston

Grade: B+

At first glance, I thought, that’s a shocking pick. With Houston among others on the board, I’d thought we’d take him (or maybe Weddle or Leonard). After much reflection, I feel this is a good pick at this time. With McNabb being slightly injury prone, and Feeley & Holcomb being solid backups, a guy we can develop into a starter is needed. I can see a situation similar to the Rivers – Brees situation in San Diego. As with many Eagles draftees, Kolb will sit, and I would expect he will challenge for the starting place in his 3rd year (note that McNabb and Feeley’s contracts run out in 2010).

Round 2 Pick 57 – Victor Abiamiri DE Notre Dame

Grade: A

We all know Andy Reid likes drafting his linemen early, and this year was no different. I like the look of Abiamiri, he can immediately go into the rotation with Kearse, Howard, Cole & Thomas, and will work on his all round skills. I also like him as a person, the interviews I’ve seen of him, he looks a confident guy, who knows his own game, and is looking forward to being part of the Eagles.

Round 3 Pick 87 – Stewart Bradley OLB Nebraska

Grade: A-

I only got into College Football around November and Nebraska were one of the first teams I saw. I liked the look of Bradley, and was the best SAM prospect in the draft. While he will challenge Gocong for the SAM position at the moment, I feel his future lies inside, as long as he continues to improve his coverage skills.

Round 3 Pick 90 – Tony Hunt RB Penn State

Grade: B+

While I really wanted Leonard, the Rams took him before we had a chance to get him. Hunt is a classical North South runner, and is exactly what we are looking for. From what I saw of Hunt, he looks an impressive prospect, and one hopes he doesn’t follow in the footsteps of some unsuccessful Penn State running backs.

Round 5 Pick 159 – C.J. Gaddis S Clemson

Grade: B

When I heard we took Gaddis, I was quite surprised, especially with many board favourites still on the board. However, he has many things in common with fellow Clemson safety , Brian Dawkins, and one will hope that #20 takes Gaddis under his wing, and teaches him the skills to be a probable HoF.

Round 5 Pick 162 – Brent Celek TE Cincinnati

Grade B+

A tight end was needed, but this was not who many of us had in mind. In any case, we have struck gold before in the 5th round by drafting someone from Cincinnati. Celek seems to be more than just a ‘career long snapper’ as many has suggested. I feel he will challenge for the #3 TE spot this year, and eventually become the #2 TE, and used a lot in blocking situations. I can see a lot of 2 TE sets in the next couple of years, with Hunt as the lone back.

Round 6 Pick 201 – Rashard Barksdale CB Albany

Grade: A-

Barksdale is a quick guy, his height is around the 6 ft mark, which gives us a genuine taller cornerback. Obviously he isn’t going to see much action this year due to his lack of experience, but I can see him going on the PUP/IR list, allowing us to work on his technique, allowing him to become the Nickel cornerback in the next couple of years.

Round 7 Pick 236 – Nate Ilaoa RB Hawai’i

Grade: C+

I like the guy a lot, but don’t see where he will fit in for the Eagles, especially after drafting Tony Hunt. We are quite crowded at the running back position, and he has been mentioned as a possible fullback, but I don’t really see him blocking the hell out of linebackers. I expect he we will look at him during training camp, and he may have to spend a year or two on the practice squad before he makes the full time roster.

Overall Grade: B+

With the Eagles not having many pressing needs, we were allowed to draft for depth and for the future. While I liked all of the picks, I must question the drafting of 2 running backs, at the moment, we only have one strong safety on the roster, which worries me slightly. I feel we may have to trade for a decent backup, possibly using next years picks as bait.

A look at the training camp battles and possible final roster soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, a post I can actually read.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: