Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Solid draft, when it's all said and done....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAST-BAY-RAIDER wrote:
Dark Knight your such a homer!! : 0 Mr. 4.29 was going to be their @ 26. The kid might turn out to be a heck of a player, but you just don't give draft pick away for him. Don't even get me started on the bum we picked @ 38. Dark Knight I think the SD sun has been getting to you..... primo.

i agree with you about the Routte Primo.....i didn't like that pick. When it comes to them trading up for Washington...well....they must haev afraid that someone was gonna try and trade up to get him. I'm sure Lombardi and the rest of Raider execs didn't want to give up a 4 to get him...but they must have really liked him. I would have picked him over Marlin Jackson...for sure! CB's were hot commodity in this draft...and it looks like Oakland wanted to make sure they got a top 5 rated CB from this draft. Remember...we didn't got Moss also....when it was all said and done....so in the end i was happy with this draft. I like the pick of Morrison and stealing Hawthorne and getting Riddle late was nice. I hope we can another LB though......but i think Travian is gonna be tested to be the full time starter at one of the OLB spots. Riddle will compete for an OLB spot also.....Morrison will start....i guarantee that.
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNBuff wrote:
boiseraider wrote:
Dark Knight..............I respect your opinion on this, but you seem a little emotionally overinvested here............Listen, 97 tackes in three seasons as a starter does not mean he's a good tackler. This is football; of course he will tackle if he has to. Deion Sanders would occasionally tackle. My point is this: Both Washington and Routt are making there money on being fast. There is nothing about these guys that sets them apart from what Buchanon has done in Oakland the past three years. In fact, without having actually done it, I would be willing to bet if you looked at film from college on Buchanon and Washington, you'd see little difference. Both are guys who relied a lot on their speed to make up ground while the ball was in the air. In college, you can get away with this, but it doesn't work for 99% of the fast corners who try it in the NFL. And it really won't work when you don't have an impact front seven, which we did not last year. But instead of using at least one of the first two picks to do that, we blew it on track stars.

And as far as the tackling goes, check your numbers again, a little closer this time, and tell me how many of those tackles were in run support. He darn well better have tackled guys he let catch the football, but was he sticking his neck out against RBs in the flat or run blitzing and making tackles for loss. This is where C-Wood stands out from many of his peers, and this is the reason that these two guys cannot add up to an eventual tandem, or even one piece, of the puzzle should Woodson eventually leave.

Well put!!!
I personally would've liked to see a Justin Miller pick instead of Routt, at a minimum for the returning skills (and if you like tackles, pretty sure he had 157 in 3 seasons). If not him then I would've liked to see Cody out of OU to get to the QB.......a good pass rush is a CB's best friend.

I undertsand what your saying.....but in the end who else should have the Raiders picked?? The man was starter since his freshman year.....if he couldn't tackle than i'm pretty sure Nebraska wouldn't have started him for all those years. Plus the man #1 priority is cover and not get burnt. Maybe I'm just an optimist and i like the pick.....and you don't. Woodson is a great tackler....and i didn't say that these guys were great tacklers....but we haven't even seen these guys play...and down of pro football yet...and every0one is judging them. Granted i'm a skeptic on most the past Raiders drafts.....(Ed Reed would have been nice 3 years ago) but i was glad they got some solid players in Rd 3 and in 5 and 6.
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanDiegoRaiderFan wrote:
Boise and MNBuf, here is how I see our DL:

DE - Burgess, Brayton
DT - Sapp, K. Smith
DT - Washington, Hawthorne, Sands
DE - Hamilton, Kelly

We'll probably have to release Grant Irons, who showed some flashes when given the opportunity. Who could we have gotten in the 2nd round that would have helped our pass rush? The only DEs left were Matt Roth and Dan Cody. Would they have been a big upgrade over the DEs we have now? Burgess is our big signing on the defensive side and is counted on to improve the pass rush. Hamilton is a leader and is strong against the run. Kelly led the team in sacks as a rookie. That leaves Brayton, a high motor white guy without the blazing speed. Which, IMHO, is what Roth and Cody are. They're not any faster than Brayton, and so I don't think choosing them would have been much of an upgrade. And I don't think we're going to keep 10 DL, so anyone we chose would have to beat out one of the nine that I listed above.

If we went LB, who would we have taken in the 2nd round? Thurman? Crowder? I read that the Raiders had Kirk Morrison rated the #2 ILB after Barrett Ruud, and we got Morrison in the 3rd round. Blackstock? We had three shots at him, and turned him down each time. He's a 3-4 OLB and wouldn't fit in with our 4-3 because he's weak against the run and in coverage. The only possible LB I would have considered in the 2nd round was Kevin Burnett, and some people say even he was not worth it. This was a weak year for LBs overall.

I think our pass rush will be better this year because (1) the 4-3 will be the base defense, (2) Derrick Burgess at DE, (3) one more year of experience for Tommy Kelly, and (4) Tyler Brayton at DE instead of OLB. Plus, the additions on offense will help the defense in general and the pass rush in particular. With Randy Moss, we'll be ahead more and force teams to play catch up. With Lamont Jordan, we'll run the ball more, which will help us with time of possession (we were last in TOP last year). Both of those mean that there will be fewer rushing attempts against our defense (we were second worse in terms of numbers of rushes against us last year). That means the D-line will be fresher and be able to generate more of a pass rush. Or so I hope.

i agree....i'm ahppy that we may be going back to a base 4-3.....that means our defense should improve dramatically. For a 4-3 our DL is deep and solid IMO and our LB's should be adequate enough. Plus we have plenty of depth at CB. I'm still a little worried about safeties though. I don't trust our SS one freakin bit. I think Shweigert will be good.....but the SS rotation is iffy. i hope Jarod Cooper gets the start over Anderson and Gibson...i don't trust Gibson.
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Raiders wanted to make sure they gopt washington. I like Washington.....the man has gone through plenty of adversity in his life so you know the boy is mentally tough. He will be the complete opposite of Toastime Buchanon. Washington is mature and had to help raise his family since he was 6...when his father died.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: