You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Paul Posluszny isn't athletic enough?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelSedition

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Paul Posluszny isn't athletic enough? Reply with quote

Just to compare Posluszny's combine numbers to some other highly rated Linebackers and guys of interest:

Three cone:
Zak Deossie Brown 6.89
Lawrence Timmons Florida State 6.89
Paul Posluszny Penn State 6.94
Patrick Willis 7.10

60 Shuttle
Paul Posluszny Penn State 11.42
Zak Deossie Brown 11.50
Lawrence Timmons Florida State 11.78

20 Shuttle
Paul Posulszny Penn State 4.20
David Harris Michigan 4.29

40 yd dash
Patrick Willis Mississippi 4.51
Zak Deossie Brown 4.58
Paul Posluszny 4.68

Vert:
Patrick Willis Mississippi 39
Paul Posluszny Penn State 37

As you can see although Posluszny had a 2inch lower vertical leap and .17 sec slower 40 yard dash than Willis, Pos' 3 cone is superior (6.94 to 7.10) to Willis', as his shuttle times (both 20 and 60) are superior to Timmons' who was thought of as being an impressive athlete going into the combine.

You ask the reasoning here? Paul Posluszny continues to be downgraded on the forum and by the public as many claim he isn't athletic enough to make it in the NFL while the same people rave about Patrick Willis and his 40 time. The question becomes what is a better indicator of how a linebacker will fare in the NFL, his 40 yard dash which measures straight line speed, or how fast and well he can change direction and manuevere in traffic? The obvious answer to the question is change of direction and pace, as linebackers are required to sift through traffic in order to complete their jobs, which would suggest that a 3cone drill and other drills that measure a players ability to change direction would be more vital in judging a linbacker's athleticism within the game. This would suggest that Posluszny is better suited for the speed of the NFL than Willis is. (BTW: I see Posluszny as an inside linebacker within the 3-4 not an outside backer).

I don't understand how many of you guys can talk about how Jamal Anderson's shuttle and cone drills mean more than his 40 yet you downgrade Posluszny while his cone and shuttle times are superior to many linebacker prospects viewed as exceptional athletes such as Willis. The question now becomes, is Posluszny viewed as athleticially inferior to Willis and Timmons simply because he's a white guy with an average 40 yard dash? (BTW: how many times does an ILB actually run 40 yards while on the field?). This same question arises as many of you praise David Harris as being an exceptional prospect, whereas Posluszny's 20 shuttle is almost a full tenth of a second faster.

Posluszny was the most consistent linebacker within this draft while playing at the collegiate ranks, which includes this previous season even while he was slow to return to form after a knee injury. Does Posluszny warrant a first round pick? I believe so, looking back at the 2005 season he outplayed both AJ Hawk and Bobby Carpenter when PSU upset Ohio State in Happy Valley. If Posluszny's 40 yard dash was 4.5 no one would be questioning his ability to produce in the NFL, something I don't do. Looking back at this draft in several years I think Posluszny will distance himself from the pack (with a key exception of Willis who has a ton of upside) and will have made a name for himself in the NFL, becoming a player very similar to Zach Thomas. Although Posluszny will never be a Brian Urlacher, this is to be expected as there aren't many players at his level within the NFL, I do believe Posluszny has what it takes to be a stud linebacker in the NFL, so lets stop with the Prian Posworth talk until Posluszny shows any reason for it to be warranted.
STELRFAN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

just watch the highlight video on my signature pos has plenty of athleticism

UML-Redskins GM GoSkins

Jamal Lewis seems to be a real uphill runner now. That's a problem. Downhill runners are preferred. Maybe he is running in the wrong direction. Espn DJ Gallo
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knock on Brian Posworth isn't that he didn't produce in college - he did.

Nor is it about his athleticism.

Its that he has an extremely low ceiling. He has already peaked in many minds.

Similar to the reason Jason White wasn't drafted and Troy Smith will likely be a day 2 guy. Yes, there are other circumstances, but the fact scouts feel they have a low ceiling is a big part of it.

(thanks to untitledscream)
SteelSedition

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason White was a product of the system and Troy Smith is severely undersized.
SteelersRule

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone talks about how he is not built for our system......but college and pros are very different. His role wil be different no matter what team he plays for than what he played in college. He has proven himself to be a player with knowledge and talent. Yea right now he isnt known for being a pass rusher, but tom brady wasnt suppose to three superbowls either
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelSedition wrote:

I said there were other circumstances as well.

Charlie Ward, Andre Ware, Gino Toretta, Danny Wuerfell, Rashaan Salaam, Curtis Enis...all players (and heisman winners outside of Enis) who were great college players but didn't have the goods or the skillset to make it in the NFL. And those are just the bigger names.

Some other recent LB names...Chris McIntosh, Andy Katzenmoyer, Brian Simmons, Robert Thomas...all first round LBs who didn't pan out.

I think Pos will fit nicely into that category.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelSedition wrote:

Smith isnt severly undersized. He is about the same size as Vick, just not nearly as elusive or athletic. He is undersized, but not severely.

I think he could be a quality backup...doubt he'll ever be a great starter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

maybe he will be good i like him he makes plays

UML-Redskins GM GoSkins

Jamal Lewis seems to be a real uphill runner now. That's a problem. Downhill runners are preferred. Maybe he is running in the wrong direction. Espn DJ Gallo
SteelSedition

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelSedition wrote:

Smith isnt severly undersized. He is about the same size as Vick, just not nearly as elusive or athletic. He is undersized, but not severely.

I think he could be a quality backup...doubt he'll ever be a great starter.

Smith is severely undersized given that he does have the exceptional athleticism that Vick does. I'm not a big Smith fan either--I agree with you that I'm thinking he ends up a backup. The thing about Smith that makes his height jump out is that he was 2-3inches shorter than OSU had him listed at, and that he's under 6'0.

As for Pos, I agree that is ceiling isn't as migh as some other prospects, but what comes with that is also a guy who has a high floor. I keep thinking that Pos is going to end up in NE and become Tedy Bruschi part II, and d***** do I hate NE.
spush

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Pos will be fine at will LB. He is projected as an ILB in 34. He played out of position last year at MLB at PSU last year and it showed the first few games. I agree that his ceiling isnt as high as others.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Posluszny = Brian Bosworth???

I donít like that argument of just picking a random white guy from the 80ís that produced in college and comparing him to Poz. Itís too easy to pick any player ever drafted and make it work for your point. Itís like comparing Jamal Anderson to Jamal Reynolds or Andre Wadsworth. Every player is different. I guess I could buy an argument of a comparison between players from the same school and position that were recently busts (like QBís from Cal). Projecting players ďceilingsĒ is very objective and biased per the scout. The draft is like gambling in VegasÖ.and unless youíre picking in the top 5, you got roughly a 10% percent chance of landing the next stud ant any given position. But I doubt the Steelers will take Poz @15 anyhow and personally Iím glad for that.
SteelSedition

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to compare Posluszny to a player who played decades before him you could always compare him to another 'backer who played for PSU, was about the same size, and praises his onfield abilities...that being Jack Ham...

this is an illogical argument, you cannot compare Posluszny to Bosworth any better than you can compare Posluszny to Ham (which I am not seriously intending as being an accurate portrayal of him as a linebacker, I'm just pointing out what I view to be the absurdity of the situation).

All I am saying is that I wouldn't be upset if Posluszny is drafted come Saturday, though I wouldn't want it to be done at 1.15. If he does manage to fall into Rd. 2, I would be extremely botherd if the Steelers didn't trade up to snag him.
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pos and Bos have similar size/speed/agility ratios.

Brian Posworth is alive and well, my friends. Overhyped.

JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:
Pos and Bos have similar size/speed/agility ratios.

Brian Posworth is alive and well, my friends. Overhyped.

Your cleverness never stops to amaze me... Posluszny... Bosworth... Posworth.... WOW!!!! How do you do it???

Laughing

Keep on hatin... though its good to see a man stand by his opinion (hatred)
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm wrong I'll gladly eat my crow.

Until then...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: