You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Something to consider?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Something to consider? Reply with quote

So, I was laying in bed this morning thinking about the possibilities the Steelers had in the NFL Draft. Then, a crazy set of ideas hit me.

Say the Steelers trade number fifteen and Alan Faneca to Arizona for number five, and draft LaRon Landry to be their future strong safety.

Now, hear me out before you want to crucify me.

Troy Polamalu is a free agent after this season. We have no way of knowing if we will re-sign him. Landry could be his future replacement.

On top of that, we might even franchise Polamalu at the end of the year and might be able to get a first round pick for him.

Am I just crazy? Or, do I have my finger on something here?

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
StillersFury

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 8 weeks late...

But its a viable possibility

At the Time I had Landry falling from 12 to 15 and the Steelers drafting him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from one who has already been crucified for suggesting Landry would be an excellent addition, I think it's a reasonable thought.

I am all for moving Faneca if we can get that kind of value for him. As to my thoughts at the odds on it actually happening. Very low.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Steelers329

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt do it, troy is a proven game changer i would keep ben and troy forever

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers329 wrote:
i wouldnt do it, troy is a proven game changer i would keep ben and troy forever

The thing is, if we switch to the 4-3, we'll need a SS who can actually cover half the field. Polamalu can't do that.

We could, possibly, keep Anthony Smith, Troy Polamalu, and LaRon Landry since feasibly we could have Polamalu at WLB in the 4-3 Cover Two.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
Mickey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do it!

I have LaRon Landry as the 2nd best player in this draft.. behind Calvin Johnson.

But I don't think the Steelers would..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea is stupid because as much as I like Landry, he can only hope to be as good Troy. Troy is a top 5 defensive player in this league and probably the second best defensive back in the league behind Champ Bailey. I really hope the Steelers are not dumb enough to let this guy go. If they do, I will be beside myself with rage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers22 wrote:
I think the idea is stupid because as much as I like Landry, he can only hope to be as good Troy. Troy is a top 5 defensive player in this league and probably the second best defensive back in the league behind Champ Bailey. I really hope the Steelers are not dumb enough to let this guy go. If they do, I will be beside myself with rage

Perception does not equal reality.

I like Troy, but his image is based on hi lights and hair. He's a good not great player.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Mickey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or we could run a new defense.

The 3-3-5.

DE - Aaron Smith
DT - Casey Hampton
DE - Brett Keisel

OLB - James Farrior
MLB - Larry Foote
OLB - Clark Haggans

CB - Ike Taylor
S - Anthony Smith
S/LB - Troy Polamalu
S - LaRon Landry
CB - Bryant McFadden

Or maybe i've been playin a little to much of Madden lately... Anxious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only knock on Troy is the magic number 7. I would hope he doesn't go, I just got his jersey.
andre80j

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
Steelers22 wrote:

I like Troy, but his image is based on hi lights and hair. He's a good not great player.

That why coaches have to offensively gameplan and alternate plays when they face him?

He is an elite player - the likes of Ed Reed or Brian Dawkins at the safety position. He may not be as good as them in coverage but he is more than adequate. He is probably the best at rushing the QB from his position also.

I do like the idea of moving him to WLB and having Smith and Landry at safeties, but then he'll be more proned to go up against big o-linemen which is not exactly his strength.

Last edited by andre80j on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
Steelers22 wrote:

Hammer, meet nail.

One of the few times I've agreed with you, treat.

(thanks to untitledscream)
Neumatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers22 wrote:
Troy isnt even the #1 Saftey in the league...He is a very good player but he is far from the #2 Defensive player in the League.

I dont really like the idea of drafting Landry, he is a very good player but I do believe Troy will resign which then ther is no need for a different SS.

Jamison. on the sig
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andre80j wrote:
That why coaches have to offensively gameplan and alternate plays when they face him?

If by gameplan for him you means ways to repetitively expose him in coverage or run misdirection for him to over pursue I agree.

Like I say he is a good, not great, player. Not even close to Dawkins.

Dook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers22 wrote:

This says it all.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: