Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuppaMan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Miami would trade Surtain, or maybe move down that far, or even want this trade.

But I think maybe in the long run it would benefit the Chargers if they could trade Brees and the 12th pick for Surtain and Miami's 2nd pick, and select Braylon Edwards. It's maybe a few spots high for him, and there is zero chance of it happening, but that would really help your team a year or two down the road.

I think Perkins will go in the 2nd or early 3rd. Probably 2nd due to his return ability. A good, not as hyped receiver may be available at your 2nd pick in the first round, or in the 2nd round. Look at Colbert on the Panthers, he proved he was better than the 49ers or Jags(was a reach before he busted this past season) picks of there receivers.
CalKiper the III

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it weird how you're against trading Brees for Surtain for monetary reasons. You realize the type of money Brees will ask for, not to mention years? Why not trade him this year instead of next year? I don't think that his stock will be much higher than it is right now. You must realize without a solid front 3 who tie up the offensive line, the linebackers will get pushed around. Also stop saying that Surtain has injury problems, he has missed 4 games in his whole career. I'm pretty sure that the majority of NFL players have had equal numbers of such "clean up" surgeries.
supratony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k well enough of this damn surtain talk.... we dont need a corner my god we got 3 of them... we need to upgrade our LB's and DE's not the secondary....
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, i agree about not needing a corner. I think marty has to start shaun phillips over leber because i think phillips is great and i want to see what he can do being a every down olb. As for de, i think everyone thinks we need a de, it's just which one we should get. Personally i want a pass rushing de like james or pollack, but if we get shaun cody i'll be really happy. Shaun cody is underrated and i think he would be a great de in the 3-4.
supratony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yess i totally agree.... i like shaun cody... i love the fact that he's underated probably for the fact that he plays for sc in the pac-10 which we always get screwed on the rep from east coast bais writers.... hopefully cody will be there for our 2ed pick n from all the mock drafts i see looks like he will be.... plus of any of ya'll watched the orange bowl game u know y cody is the best fit for this team... the thing that he adds to our line that igor doesn't is that cody is more explosive than igor...
sd screenwriter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Climbing out of the cellar... Reply with quote

Been in the basement curled up in the fetal position with a bottle of Chardonnay for the last few days...finally starting to come out of it, but the 'what ifs' are still KILLING me.

As for next year, the franchise tag and trade of Brees to Dallas makes a lot more sense to me than the Miami deal, of course assuming the #11 pick would be the price. That opens the possibility of packaging the 2nd first round pick and the #12 to move up and take Mike Williams. No, most first year receivers don't put up big numbers. Yes, he will be one who does.

This still leaves us with the #11 pick, which we could draft best available defensive player, or, if our guy is not there, trade down a ways and stockpile another #2 or #3.

I just think Williams is going to be a terror, especially if he really has increased his speed. He runs great routes and uses that body of his to shield guys away from the ball. My 2 cents...
sd screenwriter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Where is our #2 in the first??? Reply with quote

By the way, new mock drafts are showing our 2nd pick in the first round anywhere from the #24 to the #28. Anyone know the actual criteria for that pick and where it really should be?
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Shaun Cody too. Although, I'm biased on that because I'm an SC fan. I agree that he brings explosiveness to the table and have three big strong D-linemen is only going to improve our pass rush. I also like Chris Canty from Virginia. If we pick up anyone of these players I will be happy. Marcus Spears is also a DE that could help but I've heard people say that he didn't do anything in big games and is inconsistent. Well, here's hoping for Shaun Cody or Chris Canty.
sd screenwriter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: For those who keep wanting to trade Rivers... Reply with quote

Unless something has changed, all the projections of Rivers getting traded would be erroneous. If he is traded before his roster bonus in March, SD would take a $6 million cap hit and still not even have him on the roster.

1) word from the practice field is that (other than butterflies), Rivers makes all the throws and more than Brees
2) to franchise tag and trade Brees would bring NO cap hit and would pull us an additional #1 from someone
3) Brees is at the absolute HEIGHT of his value
4) Look at the sitch with Kitna/Palmer-yes Palmer struggled to start, but by the end of the year, he was on fire.

Franchise and trade Brees. Rivers is a winner and the players we can add will totally solidify this team. We would either have 3 #1's this year, or 2 #1s this year and 2 #1's next year, probably including a very high one from whoever traded for Brees. Stockpile, stockpile, stockpile. We CAN be the next Patriots...
phicart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: For those who keep wanting to trade Rivers... Reply with quote

sd screenwriter wrote:
Unless something has changed, all the projections of Rivers getting traded would be erroneous. If he is traded before his roster bonus in March, SD would take a $6 million cap hit and still not even have him on the roster.

1) word from the practice field is that (other than butterflies), Rivers makes all the throws and more than Brees
2) to franchise tag and trade Brees would bring NO cap hit and would pull us an additional #1 from someone
3) Brees is at the absolute HEIGHT of his value
4) Look at the sitch with Kitna/Palmer-yes Palmer struggled to start, but by the end of the year, he was on fire.

Franchise and trade Brees. Rivers is a winner and the players we can add will totally solidify this team. We would either have 3 #1's this year, or 2 #1s this year and 2 #1's next year, probably including a very high one from whoever traded for Brees. Stockpile, stockpile, stockpile. We CAN be the next Patriots...

OK, I'm willing to give your idea a bit more thought. My heart tells me that Brees has earned a long term SD contract and Rivers hasn't, but I have been reminded that this is also a business. Also, just lerned that Arizona and Detroit are interested in Brees. A number 8 oir 10 this year in addition to what we already have ain't a bad situation. In order to work, however, Rivers wuold HAVE TO step up. He would have to come into the locker room and call a teamonly meeting in July and say, "Look guys, I know Drew is gone, but I can take you to the promise land. They didn't pay me all that money for my looks." And, he would have to make it convincing! Let's say that happens. With 8 or 10, 12 and 28, the Chargers can get both Braylon Edwards and Marlin Jackson in the first round and trade 28 for high second round choices to get Ernest Shazor and Jonathan Schott. Next pick is David Baas for center/guard back up. For those wanting a linebacker, Shazor is 6'3, 225 and growing, lead Michigan in tackles and ran a 4.43 40 in high school! Let's say the Chargers do get him. At his height, weight and speed, he could fill as linebacker on passing situations...and has the speed to drop back in coverage! Just have to teach him how. Be like getting two for the price of one.
supratony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm like the sound of a trade with az or dallas.... but i wouldn't make the trade if mike williams or dj is off the board.... cause if both of those guys r gone then we might as welll wait n see if edwards falls to us.... n just trade brees for a future 1st rounder....
GulfBayWarriors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Chargers fan, but congrats to the season you guys had. I would be really excited about your future. I believe the Chargers need to get a great pass rusher. I am not sure your secondary is that bad. A great pass rush can make the pass defense great. I love Jammer and Davis. I think you guys should draft a DE with 12th pick or Braylon Edwards if avaliable. IF Thomas Davis was still avaliable, i think the Chargers would have to take a long look at him to help them. Great Year Chargers and the greatest thing for you is that Tomlinson wants to be in San Diego and I have alot of respect for him now.
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That trade doesn't sound too bad. Rivers will have to have a team meeting and mean whatever he says. Team chemistry is important. I'm sure the whole SD Chargers want Brees back as they voted him most inspirational and team MVP. We all know that LT wants him back. I've heard some interviews after our loss and the team has nothing but great things to say about Brees. Also, they think it was unfair of FO to draft a QB. Having said all that I wouldn't mind trading him, but Rivers has to keep the chemistry going without that and guys believing in Rivers than we won't be reaching the playoffs next year.
phicart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDLTGates wrote:
That trade doesn't sound too bad. Rivers will have to have a team meeting and mean whatever he says. Team chemistry is important. I'm sure the whole SD Chargers want Brees back as they voted him most inspirational and team MVP. We all know that LT wants him back. I've heard some interviews after our loss and the team has nothing but great things to say about Brees. Also, they think it was unfair of FO to draft a QB. Having said all that I wouldn't mind trading him, but Rivers has to keep the chemistry going without that and guys believing in Rivers than we won't be reaching the playoffs next year.

Gospel! And, for a nostalgic replacement, we could draft another Purdue QB...Kyle Orton. Then we'd have a bigger, stronger, faster Drew Brees as bacvkup! Can get him in the mid to late second round or early third(very early third)
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A $6M cap hit is the same thing that Cleveland is going to take when they get rid of Jeff Garcia, but the way the front office looks at it is that it is only one year, as opposed to the lenght of the contract that they take a big hit. Since Cleveland and the Chargers both have overpriced QBs who contribute nothing on the field, we should trade them and our first round picks. You get the 3 and 12 pick and a veteran QB to teach Brees how to be short and still make the Pro Bowl. Maybe we'll take the 28 off your hands so you don't have to make too many decisions in the first round.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: