Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

next year
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superchargers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: next year Reply with quote

That was a tough pill to swallow tonight in the rain. I can't believe Marty called the plays he called right before our botched field goal attept. We changed our approach once we got in field goal range. I understand that you don't want to air it out too much in that situation because you might get picked, but darn, have some faith in Brees' ability. I think Marty sould have gone for the touchdown but hindsight's 20/20.

Well enough whining, let's think about next year...

I heard there was a report of a rumor on ESPN that had Rivers go to Dallas for their 12th overall pick. I seriously doubt that it will happen, but let's get hypothetical shall we? That would give us 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder as our first 4 picks.

Here's what I want to happen during the off season...

-Sign Brees to a long term contract
-Lose Jerry Wilson to FA.
-Acquire either Dwight Smith or Will Demps through FA.
-Trade #13 and #21 for the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft and a 3rd rounder
-Draft Mike Williams #1
-Draft Marcus Spears #12
-Draft best OT available in 2nd round or Kirk Morrison if he's still there
-Add depth to O-line with 3rd rounder

Close your eyes for a second and imagine that team. Please tell me what you think might happen if the Cowboys-River's trade goes through.
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be awesome to have a draft and FA happen like that. Although, Jerry Jones is probably more interested in Brees than in Rivers. Well, I'm not sure what I want out of the QB situation. Not many teams have this option though so it's kinda cool. I love both of them. Rivers because of all the great things people have said he could do. But, then again that just means that we could take a step back with him under the helm. Brees hopefully, this wasn't a one year wonder and he can continue torturing CB's for the rest of his career. Whatever happens I am and always will be a Chargers fan. It was hard to swallow this loss since we had the win. Hopefully, Kaeding isn't knocking himself for this. He needs to gain more confidence and say to himself I will make those next year. As we know confidence in a rookie is vital. It's going to be tough after the schedule comes out. One game I'm looking forward to. NY Giants at our house!
supratony

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k first of all.... never knock on marty.... i love that man... n if u a real chargers fan like me... u remember the days before marty where we could've call the perfect play against and d and never even get the play off cause of bad qb's and wr routs... n when they traded seau i was dissappointed but i understood we needed to get faster on d... n when we let go of the hitman that bothered me cause it wasn't his fault... it was stupid [inappropriate/removed] rodgers beckett's but they blamed rodney so i guess whatevers bout that now..... i do believe we should've gone for the td but who cares now.... i was soo disheartened by that ending i just took my pain killers n went to sleep after it....

i heard of the dallas thing... but i dont like it... cause at best we only get the 11th pick... we already have the 12th.... and even at 11 we cant get mike williams.... n after watching that game yesterday.... i want him more than ever now.... cause santana moss was the only guy that i was afraid of burning us deep and he did... just like in week 2..... but tell me one guy that other teams are afraid of on the chargers of getting burned deep??? what i saw yesterday on all the playactions was the safties sitting on the medium rount and not even worried about deep routs.... we need a big time wr if not by the draft then trade for tory holt or something.... cause we need one badly....

also i would like the drafting of mike williams maybe we can trade up to around 4-6 to get him.... taking him at 1-2 is too high.... also.... the drafting of spears is something i dont like.... after watching the orange bowl.... shaun cody from sc is a better fit for our 3-4 than spears or even pollack.... my best example of this is last yr's draft were we took igor and made him a DE and he was able to thrive..... and since cody is a hibrid b/t DT & DE he would fit perfectly in our 3-4..... thats actually who i hope we pick up with our late 1st round pick..... so why do we have 21? is that cause we lost first in the playoffs? cause last time i checked we had the 28th

also.... i want to inform all of ya'll that all reports say we have 20 million under the cap and how we can go out and get people... but ya'll forgeting a few things.... drew said he wont sign franchines tag unless its long term.... gates will want to get paid..... hell if i was him i would want to get paid too... cause right now he's getting paid like he's a backup TE.... and if u dont know... thats reallly REALLY low.... so u pay gates... sign drew... and that leaves this team with under 10 million... and we cant get boggled down by big FA contracts... man we should've took sean taylor last yr.... he would've been the last piece to our d.... damnit.... however..... i would like to pick up dwight smith but not will demps b/c everyone on that raven's d is overrated except for the 2 main guys.... lewis and reed....

lastly.... we do need to address the O-line depth.... but if we cant get alex barron at 12 then we should just wait till next yr for that....
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supratony wrote:
and even at 11 we cant get mike williams.... n after watching that game yesterday.... i want him more than ever now.... cause santana moss was the only guy that i was afraid of burning us deep and he did... just like in week 2..... but tell me one guy that other teams are afraid of on the chargers of getting burned deep??? what i saw yesterday on all the playactions was the safties sitting on the medium rount and not even worried about deep routs.... we need a big time wr if not by the draft then trade for tory holt or something.... cause we need one badly....

Mike Williams is not a deep threat but he's a solid reciever and i would like him. Braylon Edwards is a deep threat...that's all i'm saying.

I don't know why but i really don't like marcus spears style of play. I hope we get shaun cody, pollack, or james because i'm not bought on spears.

As for the rest of the off-season i'm just going to let a.j. take his course because i really trust the guy and i think whatever he does will help the team. CHARGERS 06!
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a true Chargers fan. I was there with Leaf and Craig Welihan. I've been a Charger fan for as long as I can remember. I always was optimistic even if we went 0-16 I would say there gonna be better because they are my team. I root for the Chargers. I'm sure they can play well next year. All I'm saying is that it's going to be tough to be 12-4 again. I hope we get great players in the draft and FA. It's funny two years ago I thought of the Chargers like the New England Patriots. I think we have that kind of team. We can be an elite team. And, I want us to be after years of losing.

Our QB situation in recent years was horrendous and now we just have to make the right decision. If we keep Drew I'll be happy if we don't I'll be happy. Ever since we drafted Drew I thought he would be a pretty solid QB cause I liked his competitiveness. I never thought it was all his fault last year. I didn't like the Philip Rivers trade cause it puts us in this kind of bind. Whoever our QB is I'm a Charger first and if we go on to lose more games than win. I'm still a Charger. I feel that we should have won that game. I don't know whose fault it is, but I hope we learn from those. We need a new FS and a DE. One like Igor. BTW, Has Haloti Ngata actually said that he won't come out or is there still a chance he can? I love Jamal Williams and I hated the Broncos for cutting his season short a year or two ago. But, he is starting to get old in years. I don't know how long DT's can hold their position. But, he's close to 30.

Next year I will root the hardest for whatever team is out there. If Drew is QB if Rivers is instead. If we have Wilson back I will still root. Cause this is my favorite team in the world. I've never been prouder. This last game hurt a lot but who expected us to even make it to the playoffs no one did. In fact, we should be better than 12-4. We should have conceivably been in the second round of the playoffs and beaten Indy and the first Denver game. Also, Atlanta was a win we could have had too. This team is a lot better than most in recent years. It sucks that Jamal didn't go to the Pro Bowl. I ask everyone a question who was a better NT in the league? I don't think there was Jamal was the best.

Let's improve in our weaknesses and get back to the playoffs. Here's hoping that Marty takes at least a better risk if he comes to that situation again. Get the kicker closer for the FG. And, I love Marty as our coach he can get conservative at times and that's cool. He just gets conservative at the wrong times.
BoKnowsFootball

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not a Charger fan but I do live in San Diego and watch all their games. I think if the Chargers did trade Rivers for the 12th pick they would be smart to hold onto that pick and not use 2 first rounders to try and move into the top 5, thats giving up 2 much. If you need you can use the 2nd rounder to move up a couple spots.

Jsut imagining you used your 2nd round pick to move up a couple spots. You could end up with Edwards, A great offensive lineman ( tackle or Guard), and a D-lineman to get some pressure on the QB. That would be a great young nucleus to add to the team
SuppaMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We should have conceivably been in the second round of the playoffs

Laughing Nope, you conceivably should have lost the playoff game in regulation instead of OT. Thank God my team did what I wanted them to which was rushing LaMont Jordan which I thought presented a matchup problem.

Still you guys had a great season, and the team will be better next year. Although a lot still hinges on your QB position. Frankly I think Rivers is the way to go. This guy has better physical tools than Brees and is a leader. He carried NC State numerous times...against FSU and there tough as nails defense. Brees may have overplayed this year and I think if Rivers could get a year under his belt with some added line on both sides and a receiver(specifically Edwards whose rising fast), damn that could be a hell of an offense in SD.
CalKiper the III

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you marry me Suppaman? You're a brilliant chargers fan. Brees definitely overplayed this year and Rivers is where it's at. If we get a deep threat like Edwards, Porter, Clayton or Henry from VA, watch out!

Here is what we do this offseason if anybody cares about my extremely valid opinion:

*Trade Brees for Surtain(CB), move Florence to FS
*Draft Ahmad Brooks(OLB) at 12 via draft(you can never have to many LB's in a 3-4)
*Get Mark Clayton(WR) at 24 via draft
*Get Adam Terry(OT) of Syracuse in the second via draft
*Bring in FA Chris Hovan or Aedulius Thomas who both fit perfectly at DE in a 3-4 scheme
*Get Kirk Morrison(ILB) in the 4th via draft
*find a new KR because Dwight(white WR) has lost it
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalKiper the III wrote:

*Trade Brees for Surtain(CB), move Florence to FS
*Draft Ahmad Brooks(OLB) at 12 via draft(you can never have to many LB's in a 3-4)
*Get Mark Clayton(WR) at 24 via draft
*Get Adam Terry(OT) of Syracuse in the second via draft
*Bring in FA Chris Hovan or Aedulius Thomas who both fit perfectly at DE in a 3-4 scheme
*Get Kirk Morrison(ILB) in the 4th via draft
*find a new KR because Dwight(white WR) has lost it

Trading brees for surtain strait up would not be fair for the chargers. The chargers will get a second rounder with that trade also probably.
Why does everyone want florence to play free safety? He's not physical enough and he's already a great cover corner. Quentin Jammer would be an awesome fs, he seems like a way better fit anyway.
If ahmad brooks is left at 12 i agree we should take him. I'm not sold on ben leber, he's ok, but i think be could use a better lb.
i don't like hovan, he's not even starting on the vikings sorry defense. Thomas is overrated, just because he plays on the ravens d he looks good.
I love Kirk Morrison, but i think he will fall in the late second or third round. We could use that 2nd or 3rd rounder that we get from miami to get him.

Really good thoughts though, i wouldn't mind at all if they did what you're saying.
I agree with you, dwight has lost it. That rookie safety robb butler is supposed to be really good and in the kc game he looked awesome. He should play kr for next year.
SuppaMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks isn't coming out but maybe you'll get lucky on draft day and Johnson or Edwards will be available.

BTW I'm not a Charger fan I'm a Jets fan...apparently you didn't acknowledge the first part of my first post. Razz

Also it could be smart if for the right price that they could get Plaxico Burress. He's not the fastest receiver but he's fast enough. Then they could likely add line in the first round or draft the best player available OR trade down from either or both of there 1st round picks.
supratony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y ya'll set on a trade of brees for surtain? unless we get miami's #1 pick that would be the stupidest move by the chargers since drafting cry'n leaf... simply because we already have around 20 million invested into sammy 'i cant cover' davis, florence, and jammer.... so adding another corner who is close to a contract yr will be stupid.... plus y we helping out miami anyways? we take their aging corner, give them an all-pro QB when they need one and let them keep their #2 pick in the draft so they can address their RB problem.... they benefit more from this trade than the chargers.... even with a 2ed round pick the chargers lose on this deal because of the fact that that 2ed rounder cant have as big of an impact on our future plans as drew can be if we were to trade him straight up for a high 1st round pick.... which i hear that might be a possibility with dallas.... stupid [inappropriate/removed] team that couldn't beat the giants.... by the way if they did we would've had the 6th pick instead of #12

next, i would like the drafting of ahmad brooks... but i haven't heard anything about him comming out... so i doubt he'll leave.... so the only real choice for drafting a LB is DJ but i doubt he will fall that far.... which i'm pray'n by some maricale he does.....

so i guess i've come to the point where i'll accept edwards... even tho he couldn't catch the ground if he fell... but we need some speed at WR.... n to what chrager-man said.... from some reports i hear that mike williams is now running a 4.5 40.... if that is true..... we need to trade up to get this man.... cause at at speed n all his abilities we need him.... as to mike williams not being a deep threat i just got 2 words for u.... anquan boldin... he fell in the draft just because he ran a 4.7 40 which by all accounts is what mike williams was running before last yr's draft.... n everyone thought there is no way boldin can do anything in the nfl if he runs that kinda time... n no one believed he could be a deep threat.... now... he's one of the most feared young WR in the league.... n i do believe mike williams will be a deep threat no matter what team he goes to and thats y i want him soo bad.... i believe this b/c..... im a ucla guy.... n i watch mike williams sorry [inappropriate/removed] burn ucla enought times to know what hes got.... and since im in la.... n they run sc crap like its the lakers.... i saw alot of his games and i'll tell ya'll... mike williams is a deep threat.... he gots great moves to get off the line and the fact that he can simply run through jams would be his best to combat whatever speed he lacks... so... for me a ucla guy... n i hate sc with a passion.... i find it hard not to want this guy... n also shaun cody....

k back to topic..... mark clayton is tooo over rated... everyone keeps point'n to how michael clayton was in the same situation last yr comming out... a fast guy but lacks the experience of big time plays.... but remember..... MICHAEL clayton is 6'4.... mark is only 5'11 thats 5 inches people.... that huge.... unless mark can jump 5 inches higher than michael he aint gonna win the same type of jump balls that michael clayton, mike williams, edwards, roy williams would win.... if we only drafting WR based on speed and the hell with their lack of production... ie edwards.... then might as well take edwards at 12 or even take craphonso thorpe... who by all accounts is the fastest WR in the draft... plus at 6'2 he's a better WR prospect....

ya i believe we need to find a way to address the OL issue cause im sure fonoti will holdout again and ask for a new contract.... and oben was cool this yr but i doubt we can get that same type of production from an age'n OT.... but unless we can draft alex barron there is no way we can fix that problem through the draft.... so i guess just look to FA for temp solutions

i dont think we need to go out and pick up some big name DE's because its pointless.... the 3-4 scheme is built on LBs not linemen.... we just need guys that play DE but are tweeners.... be able to play DE but are built for DT.... ie igor.... n that is y after watching the orange bowl... n the hated sc.... i like shaun cody as our 2ed pick because he is the guy that can play DT if needed but he has just enought explosion to be a good DE.... not really a peppers... but who is....

y is everyone so high on kirk morrison? i guess cause i haven't watched too many sdsu games im out of the loop but from what i've been see'n he's a good LB but i dont know if he'll fit out scheme... from the reports all of 'em say that he flows good but cant get off blocks n gets eat'n up in the crowds.... now if that part is true.... that is the worse for a 3-4 LB.... LBs in our scheme need to be able to get around or shed blocks or else there becomes holds soo big that the trolley can pass through... this is y i feel that we should try to get DJ if mike williams is gone by 12....

the last thing.... ya i do believe that dwight has lost it.... but seriously how many teams has a return guy that breaks its more than 30 yards even 10 times a yr?..... a handfull... and to go out and get a guy just b/c he can return kicks or punts is a waste if he cant be used for anything else.... n since dwight took a pay cut its worth it right now to use him as the return guy... we should just hope that we can draft someone later that will be a good return guy ontop of what we intended for that person to do...
CalKiper the III

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies I saw some good points. I have a few other thoughts.

SuppaMan I take back the marriage proposal, don't take it personally. I apoligize for the selective memory when it comes to you being a jets fan.

-Where do you guys think Perkins of OU will fall?

I believe he could be a huge upgrade as a return man.

-Mark Clayton is 5-11 but i think that the importance of height of recievers in this day and age has been blown way out of proportion. Santana Moss is the same height and he seems to be able to stretch the defense. The one real knock on Clayton is his inability to beat tyhe jam from physical corners. He still has great acceleration and quickness, along with solid hands. P.S. he has a ton of big play experience.

-Also I would rather have Florence at Free Safety because he shows better playmaking ability than Jammer. Look at the interception numbers. Florence Is also not a push over when it comes to toughness, look at the way he abused Reggie Wayne throughout the Indy game.

-With the Surtain trade it would be cool to see us get a second or third pick in addition, I would not be againt that at all. Also all this talk about injuries makes me wonder where you get it from. Considering he has missed four games in his whole career. In 108 games he has had 29 interceptions and also by the way he will turn 29 at around the time of mini camp. He is a model of consistency and his numbers have shown no sign of slipping.

- How is Adalius Thomas overated? He only had 8 sacks this year. If anything he is underated because the DE position is overlooked in a 3-4 scheme. Also Thomas is 27. Also I noticed Supra Tony told me the DE position is not important, tell that to the Patriots and Richard Seymor. Its just overlooked just like how Jammal Williams performance was overlooked for much of the year.
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you supratony. Why are people so high on Mark Clayton? People in drafts say that he's our answer for our #1 WR problem? He is real small and he may have the big play ability but he is not a true #1 WR. Also, whose to know if he can survive 16 games in the NFL. I say we stick with our current receivers and develop them. It takes a couple years to get college receivers to play good football in the NFL. There was exceptions to this. But, most the WR's that are doing so good are big receivers. Examples: Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Michael Clayton, and many others. Santana Moss is a good receiver but he has not a true #1. Plus, we already have a small receiver that is getting it done in Parker.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the last thing.... ya i do believe that dwight has lost it.... but seriously how many teams has a return guy that breaks its more than 30 yards even 10 times a yr?..... a handfull... and to go out and get a guy just b/c he can return kicks or punts is a waste if he cant be used for anything else.... n since dwight took a pay cut its worth it right now to use him as the return guy... we should just hope that we can draft someone later that will be a good return guy ontop of what we intended for that person to do...

read what i said about robb butler...he is the answer to our kr problems.

Quote:
- How is Adalius Thomas overated?

as i said he's on the greast raven's d Rolling Eyes . All the playmakers on their D who are actually good make thomas look better. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Edgerin Hartwell, Terrel Suggs, Chris McCalister, Peter Boulware, they all make thomas look great, but he's just an above average de.
[/quote]
supratony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalKiper the III wrote:

-With the Surtain trade it would be cool to see us get a second or third pick in addition, I would not be againt that at all. Also all this talk about injuries makes me wonder where you get it from. Considering he has missed four games in his whole career. In 108 games he has had 29 interceptions and also by the way he will turn 29 at around the time of mini camp. He is a model of consistency and his numbers have shown no sign of slipping.

- How is Adalius Thomas overated?

k first.... if u didn't read my reply to the other thread... well the other thing with surtain is that next yr im pretty sure that he's going into a contract yr.... n if he is a shutdown corner like ya'll say.... n he will be 29.... what kinda contract r u willing to give him at 30+ when u know he will want something around 4-5 yrs n around that champ bailey signing bonus?..... atleast with drew theres now injury problems we can eat the 9 million for him next yr and figure out a way to trade or keep him long term...

n the thing about thomas is that.... u have to look at who plays behind him.... and the # of sacks those LB's have.... the thing about seymor is that yess he is a good DE but u have to look at where he was drafted and how much he getting paid.... chargers cant tie up soo much money into that DL b/c once again i like to reiterate... in the 3-4 scheme the LB's are the important aspect.... the 3-4 scheme doesnt mean u only rush 3.... it just means theres 4 LB out there... u always rush 4.... the 3 down guys and one of the LB... cause otherwise u will not get any pressure on the QB..... thats y shawn phillips fits soo well into this 3-4 he's a tweener....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: