You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 15 Steeler Players of All-time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanofsteel86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...that's pretty harsh for a future HOF running back. Obviously a lot of people are wrong if you are correct.

So what exactly is your logic that is "100% accurate and factual"? Are you taking into account that the man had over 13,000 rushing yards and 8 seasons over 1,000? Are you taking into account the team leadership position he held? He's 5th all-time in rushing yards, 10th for rushing TD's and 13th for yards from scrimmage. Is it overrated to put him on the list of top 15 Steelers players of all time? Perhaps in your twisted mind I guess it is. I'm curious as to what your list would be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
100% accurate and factual"?

-The Pittsburgh Steelers played in the Super Bowl the year beforeBettis got here. Fact.

-When the Steelers brought in Duce Staley to replace Jerome Bettis the team had the best record in the history of the franchise. Fact

-The Following year with Willie Parker as the starter....The Pittsburgh Steelers win Super Bowl XL. Fact

Bettis had 3 100 rushing playoff games(played in 17) in his career in Pittsburgh..He avg'd less then 3.5 Ypc..9 Tds..Anyone want to guess the number of fumbles...Here is a hint...Awful close to playoff Tds Wink

Clutch is everything in life.

Bettis wasnt clutch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:
Quote:
100% accurate and factual"?

-When the Steelers brought in Duce Staley to replace Jerome Bettis the team had the best record in the history of the franchise. Fact.

FACT.. Bettis had over 100 more yards then Staley in 04... "FACT" Wink
fanofsteel86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-When the Steelers brought in Duce Staley to replace Jerome Bettis the team had the best record in the history of the franchise. Fact

Hmm...maybe that had something to do with a QB besides terrible Tommy too? Plus, as already stated, Staley was less productive than the Bus.

Quote:
-The Following year with Willie Parker as the starter....The Pittsburgh Steelers win Super Bowl XL. Fact

I'll say it here...football is a team sport. Without the Bus, we don't get it done. How many seasons had the Bus played up to that point? Everyone knew he wasn't going to be around forever. He filled the role he had to.

You can hate on Bettis all you want, but I guarantee you can't find 15 other players that had a more successful career as a Steeler. He was a special talent. How many men that big can move like that? I'll go ahead and tell you...less than you want to admit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fanofsteel86 wrote:
Quote:

Hmm...maybe that had something to do with a QB besides terrible Tommy too? Plus, as already stated, Staley was less productive than the Bus.

Quote:

I'll say it here...football is a team sport. Without the Bus, we don't get it done. How many seasons had the Bus played up to that point? Everyone knew he wasn't going to be around forever. He filled the role he had to.

You can hate on Bettis all you want, but I guarantee you can't find 15 other players that had a more successful career as a Steeler. He was a special talent. How many men that big can move like that? I'll go ahead and tell you...less than you want to admit.

Best trade ever made in Steelers history thats for sure
john_moser1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think ward is our best reciever ever
and i'd switch 2 with 3
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john_moser1 wrote:
i think ward is our best reciever ever
and i'd switch 2 with 3

I love Ward, I do...

And I never had the opportunity to watch a lot of the "great" 1970's Steelers but I did get to watch Stallworth and in my opinion he is the most Under-rated Steeler ever, over shadowed both in the draft and in his career by the more popular, less talented Lynn Swann.

For me it goes 1. Stallworth, 2. Ward, 3. Swann
StillersFury

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can hate on Bettis all you want, but I guarantee you can't find 15 other players that had a more successful career as a Steeler.

In no order

Dawson Webster Faneca Greene Greenwood Swann Stallworth Ward Bradshaw Harris Woodson Blount Shell Lake Lloyd Lambert Ham Shell Edwards Rusell Mansfield Faneca Hoge J H Johnson Jackson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:
Quote:
You can hate on Bettis all you want, but I guarantee you can't find 15 other players that had a more successful career as a Steeler.

In no order

Dawson Webster Faneca Greene Greenwood Swann Stallworth Ward Bradshaw Harris Woodson Blount Shell Lake Lloyd Lambert Ham Shell Edwards Rusell Mansfield Faneca Hoge J H Johnson Jackson

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hoge... OMG...

I use to respect your opinion however wrong it was, I respected it... use to... Hoge Laughing Laughing Laughing
StillersFury

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare playoff stats. Get back to me

When the lights go on and when it counts...Some players are clutch...Others are not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:

When the lights and when it counts...Some players are clutch...Others are not.

I saw Hoge play in his few playoff games... he was unreal against Denver, did you watch it? Just curious if any of this is from what you have read or actually saw... anyway, Hoge had an amazing game against Denver. But you can not compare his career against Bettis's career solely on a few playoff games. How many Super Bowls did Hoge get us to? That seems to be a big deal to you.

Hoge had two 100 yard playoff games out of 3 games... WOW!!! Rolling Eyes Big deal!

Bettis is #5 all-time... and he may not have been clutch, but he got us to a lot more then 3 playoff games... and he had three 100 yd playoff games Wink

Hoge Laughing Laughing Laughing
footballfan123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When the lights go on and when it counts...Some players are clutch...Others are not.

Rushes 180
Yds 632
Avg 3.5
Lg. 20
TD's 2

These are Walter Payton's career playoff stats. Yes, I know that Sweetness didn't play for the black & gold, but I think it shows that you can't judge a player's career only by playoff production.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/1999/1029/139775.html
WVU1845

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't argue with the top 15, but I'd say these players deserve a spot from 16-30.

Carnell Lake
Gary Anderson
Alan Faneca
Jack Butler
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the players in the Top 15 should all be there, but the order could be re-arrange a tab bit. Like Bradshaw shouldn't be above Stalworth or Swann IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:
Quote:

In no order

Fanica is so good he made it twice Smile

I can not argue with this list. Love that Donnie Shell is on it. One of my favorite Steelers from the 70's.*

I would probably add Bettis to it ( removing one of the Fanicas) because of his years of performance. Although it might come down to Bettis, Anderson or Hampton.

* I still remember when Shell broke Earl Campbell's ribs on a goalline stand. Great play.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: