You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Shanahan attempting to pull a Ditka
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Shanahan attempting to pull a Ditka Reply with quote

Quote:
BRONCOS WANT JOHNSON

A reader tells us that there's a rumor being reported on 950 AM in Denver that the Broncos are trying to make a play for the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, in an effort to land receiver Calvin Johnson.

A source with knowledge of the discussions tells us that the rumor is dead-on accurate, and that an offer has been made by the Broncos to the Lions.

Per the rumor and based on what we've heard, the Broncos have offered their first-round, second-round, and third-round pick in the 2007 draft and their first-rounder in 2008 for the No. 2 spot.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Theres more interesting tidbits in the full article.

(thanks to untitledscream)
STELRFAN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

id would laugh at the histerically i like cj but thats allot to give up

UML-Redskins GM GoSkins

Jamal Lewis seems to be a real uphill runner now. That's a problem. Downhill runners are preferred. Maybe he is running in the wrong direction. Espn DJ Gallo
gseabrook26

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ha Reply with quote

STELRFAN wrote:
id would laugh at the histerically i like cj but thats allot to give up

It is but IMO the Broncos don't have too many holes to fill after having a good offseason so far. They're already one of the better teams in the AFC and having a guy like Johnson could make them contenders almost immediately.
Blacky Gold

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Well, we know that the Broncos have a history of moving aggressively during the draft. Those big deals usually favor the team getting the picks, though; the Lions, I imagine, would be thrilled.
spush

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacky Gold wrote:
Wow. Well, we know that the Broncos have a history of moving aggressively during the draft. Those big deals usually favor the team getting the picks, though; the Lions, I imagine, would be thrilled.

The Broncos are artists at moving up on draft day. Some of the stunts they pull are outrageous. They always get more that what they give. Like last year they got in the middle of the 3 team ATL/NYJ/DEN John Abraham to ATL deal, moved from like 28 to 15, then up to 11 for Cutler. Unbelievable, dont remember the exact details but they didnt overpay for anything. This year, dont count them out of trading Dre' Bly to the 'skins with some picks and move up to 6. I expect them to make a run at Adrian Peterson or Laron Landry.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be a shock... as "smart" as everyone thinks Shannahan is he is the coach who spent a 3rd round on Maurice Clarette
meanmachine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u look at his whole body of work he's done pretty well- They have all made mistakes, I give him credit for having the balls to go after things like this- And they still put out good teams- Other guys have guts and end up ruining a franchise. Dont like Shana, but I respect his work.
The Hoopester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFW wrote:
Quote:
The Broncos hold the No. 21 overall pick in round one, the No. 56 overall pick (No. 24 in round two), and the No. 70 and No. 86 overall picks (No. 6 and No. 23, respectively, in round three). We don't know which of the third-rounders has been offered.

Under the trade chart, the deal might favor the Lions. But different teams value picks from the next year's draft differently; some teams downgrade the points by a full round, making a 2008 first-rounder the equivalent of a 2007 second-rounder. The other problem here is that no one will know where the Broncos draft in round one until the 2007 season ends.

First, let's do math.

#2 = 2600 pts.

#21 = 800 pts., #56 = 340 pts., #70 = 240 pts., #86 = 160pts.
Next year's first rounder is usually the value of a second-rounder, so at max, equals #33 overall(1st selection in rd.2) at 540 pts.

So the Lions give up 2600 pts, only receive 2080 pts in return, yet the deal "favors the Lions"? That deal would never get done by a real franchise, but with Matt Millen, you never say never.
coalregion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd laugh too if denver traded the house to get CJ...

then i'll be nervous as heck when we play them...
Pipes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

First, let's do math.

#2 = 2600 pts.

#21 = 800 pts., #56 = 340 pts., #70 = 240 pts., #86 = 160pts.
Next year's first rounder is usually the value of a second-rounder, so at max, equals #33 overall(1st selection in rd.2) at 540 pts.

So the Lions give up 2600 pts, only receive 2080 pts in return, yet the deal "favors the Lions"? That deal would never get done by a real franchise, but with Matt Millen, you never say never.

This is a situation that makes me question the validity of the generic draft "value chart". Without knowing the assigned point values I would find it very hard to believe that any single pick is worth two first-rounders, a second-rounder, and two third-rounders. In fact, as alluded to earlier in the thread, I would bet that the team trading down in a situation like this comes out ahead 9 times out of 10 due to not locking up all that guaranteed money into one player and being able to field 5 players instead of one.

Has anyone ever read any empirical analysis either supporting or refuting the currently accepted value system? I would be very interested in seeing that.

It's funny because like I mentioned, generally my gut feeling is that trading down is the better option, however Calvin Johnson may be the exception to the rule. Then again, I'm sure Ditka felt the same way and look how that turned out.
Jayme96

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that after trading Foster, the Broncs were wanting to trade up for Joe Thomas. So I guess it looks like if htey get #2 and Russell goes #1, they'll take Calvin. If they can't land the #2, maybe they'll trade up to #3-5 and try to get Thomas. Apparently Shanahan has it in his head that the Broncos are pretty well set for personnel, and he wants to get an elite player rather than 5 role players. I personally think they should get a DE, but maybe they think FA next year will net them the pass rusher they need and all they need from the draft is a stud like Calvin/Thomas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were ereally interested why not trade al wilson and some picks for the second? lions need a MLB.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puhlahmahlu wrote:
If they were ereally interested why not trade al wilson and some picks for the second? lions need a MLB.

Broncos released Wilson.

Good idea otherwise.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1929

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puhlahmahlu wrote:

That would be a good idea, and Im sure that was an idea, but you cant trade someone who cant pass a physical and that was Al Wilson's and the Broncos problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Wilson is as healthy as those starving african children you see in commercials.

(thanks to untitledscream)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: