You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

One "ideal" mock, and one off of our "interes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is better, 1 or 2?
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 6

Jayme96

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: One "ideal" mock, and one off of our "interes Reply with quote

I'm not going to try and "steal" guys here. I'm putting them where I think we'd most likely have to pick them. Robison's athleticism will make him a 2nd rounder....3rd at the least....not a 4th as someone else had him going for example.

Draft #1

1. Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State---at #15---he isn't going to fall like people claim. By far the best LB in the draft, and he's NFL ready. A stud as a rookie.

2. Brian Robison, DE (OLB), Texas---great athlete, would be a stud at OLB in our 3-4. He has one heck of a motor too from what I've seen. Ideal fit to replace Porter.

3. Marshall Yanda, OG, Iowa---versatile, athletic OL---moved around between OT and OG, so isn't a polished product yet, or he'd go sooner.

4. Tim Shaw, LB, Penn State---he's easily a day 1 talent, but hasn't been able to master 1 position, so he'll fall like Yanda.

4. John Wendling, S, Wyoming---freak athlete who would be an upgrade at FS, a ST demon, and could also replace Troy if he leaves in FA or goes down with more concussions.

5. Laurent Robinson, WR, Illinois State---much better size than any current WRs at 6'2"---he might be available this late due to low lvl of competition

5. Adam Podlesh, P, Maryland---best P in the draft, and we need one. 4.44 40 is nice in coverage too

6. Dan Santucci, OG (C), Notre Dame---An OG that has some mobility and could possibly make the traditional Steeler move of G to C.

7. Greg Peterson, DE, North Carolina Central---don't know anything about him except that he's 6'5" 286 lbs, and runs a 4.73. Supposed to be raw, but he obviously has some athletic ability. Projected as late round/FA
OR
Brian Daniels, OG, Colorado---another option in the 7th. Not very agile, but a good pass blocker with good technique.

NOW, for the mock that I was able to kinda piece together using the list of players we've "shown interest in". Just thought it'd be interesting to see what a draft made up of those guys could look like. Some of my favorites won't be on there now of course, and I know that the list isn't going to have all the players we take on it, not even close. Just doing this for the heck of it.

http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=33&a=103

MOCK # 2

1. Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska

2. Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn

3. Quentin Moses, OLB, Georgia

4. Samson Satele, C, Hawaii

4. Tim Shaw, LB, Penn State

5. Dwayne Wright, RB, Fresno State

5. Jonathon Wade, CB, Tennessee

6. Daniel Sepulveda, P, Baylor

7. Isaiah Stanback (WR/qb)---say hello to our new 6'2 1/2", 216 lb, 4.50 gadget WR. (Played QB the last couple years, but was a WR prior to that)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with #2.

I see Poz and Carriker as similar in that they will likely both be rather unspectacular but solid starters for a few years.

I don't like Robison in 2 at all. Definition of the workout warrior. Grubbs is not my favorite either but relative to position a much better player than Robison.

Moses stock has obviously dropped, but to get him in the 3rd would be an excellent investment. Don't know much about Yanda.

Not sure Wendling would be an upgrade over Smith (if this is what you meant). And unless it's Landry I see no need to invest in a safety.

I really liked Satele at the combines and wouldn't mind him on Day 2.

The other decision point was #2 spent a lower round pick on the P position. I don't want the FO to invest any pick on the position, so the lower the better.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Jayme96

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
I went with #2.

I see Poz and Carriker as similar in that they will likely both be rather unspectacular but solid starters for a few years.

I don't like Robison in 2 at all. Definition of the workout warrior. Grubbs is not my favorite either but relative to position a much better player than Robison.

Moses stock has obviously dropped, but to get him in the 3rd would be an excellent investment. Don't know much about Yanda.

Not sure Wendling would be an upgrade over Smith (if this is what you meant). And unless it's Landry I see no need to invest in a safety.

I really liked Satele at the combines and wouldn't mind him on Day 2.

The other decision point was #2 spent a lower round pick on the P position. I don't want the FO to invest any pick on the position, so the lower the better.

Thanks for the input. As for punter, the Steelers tried spending a 6th rounder on the 49ers punter, till the 9ers matched their offer (restricted free agent) so I'd say it's VERY likely they'll draft one. As for where I had guys going, the last 2 picks in draft #2 were the only ones listed as mid-rounders that I had drop in my mocks. Sepulveda will probably be a 4th or 5th rounder, but I wanted to include him and already had the earlier picks used up. 5th compensatory (Podlesh in mock #1) and mid 6th (Sepulveda in mock #2) aren't too far apart though..not a whole round anyway is what I'm saying.

As for safety, I think that Wendling would indeed be a big upgrade over Smith, but that's just my opinion. I saw Wendling playing against college kids, and Smith against pros, and Wendling looked like a man among boys. Wendling is a vastly superior athlete over Smith, and would be a big upgrade over Troy in tackling (that's the only aspect though lol). I don't want to replace Troy to clarify here, but I guess I've been kinda wondering what's going to happen with him for the last year now. All the speculation about his contract demands being huge and our current cap situation, his concussions, etc. A 4th round compensatory on a guy like Wendling would be good insurance to me, plus he could start at FS if Troy stays. Smith is a hitter, but lacking in coverage skills/ability, and isn't really very proven yet. I'm obviously not as high on him as a lot of people on here are, though I do think he's "ok". I wouldn't wanna use a 1st day pick on one, unless it was Landry....even then I don't know if I'd do it given our needs at OL and LB....regardless of how good he'll be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not crazy about either, dont want to draft a punter. Unless Poz can prove in the next four days he's an elite pass rusher he wont be a Steeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poz and Shaw? Im a big PSU fan too, and I wouldnt mind Shaw, but I wouldnt take Poz with 15.

On a side note, I was at the spring game the other day with everyone wearing VT colors...pretty emotional. Nice to know PSU cares that much about a fellow college in hard times.

Anyway, I dont really like either mock.but Id go with 2 if I had too. I dont want to take a punter either. They can sign and undrafted FA and put him up against Mike Barr.

If we get a QB, Id rather get a pocket QB with good accuracy. No possible "slash" prospects. Get St Pierre out of there and groom Batch's replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Poz and Shaw? Im a big PSU fan too, and I wouldnt mind Shaw, but I wouldnt take Poz with 15.

On a side note, I was at the spring game the other day with everyone wearing VT colors...pretty emotional. Nice to know PSU cares that much about a fellow college in hard times.

Anyway, I dont really like either mock.but Id go with 2 if I had too. I dont want to take a punter either. They can sign and undrafted FA and put him up against Mike Barr.

If we get a QB, Id rather get a pocket QB with good accuracy. No possible "slash" prospects. Get St Pierre out of there and groom Batch's replacement.

I'm not actually a Penn State fan lol. I like them, but I'm far from a fan. Just thought I'd clear that up. The reason I have both of those guys going to the Steelers is because I liked what I saw when I watched them play...and I watched a lot more PSU games this year than normal because I wanted to check those guys out. That VT thing does sound pretty classy though.

As for punters, I'm not real thrilled about spending a pick on one either, BUT, they already tried using the 6th rounder on one, so I think it's a pretty reasonable expectation that they'd draft one.

That QB/WR was just kind of a joke. He would be the big WR...6'3" 216 lbs, and a 4.5. If he goes real late I think it'd be a good pickup. (He is one of the 2 QBs the Steelers have shown interest in...and I know nothing about either of them). If we were actually going to draft a QB, to be our backup QB, there's no way in hell I'd pick a guy like this. I'm a pocket QB guy too. Here's a link to a little writeup on him. He played WR as a freshman. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/isaiahstanback.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spush wrote:
Not crazy about either, dont want to draft a punter. Unless Poz can prove in the next four days he's an elite pass rusher he wont be a Steeler

My reasoning there is that Poz is the best LB in the draft, hands down, and could start as a rookie. We need a LB, period, and he's the best. He has the highest floor of any LB in the draft...damn near as high as most others' ceilings...and his ceiling is up there too.

As far as elite pass rushers go, I'd rather get a tweener in the 2nd or 3rd, than use a 1st on a guy that might not be ready to contribute as a rookie, and tweeners have a higher bust-rate because they're switching positions and it's speculative as to if they can make the switch. Not to mention that it'd be a reach to grab any tweener at #15, other than maybe Jamaal Anderson and Gaines Adams if they'd be able to make the switch to OLB...and it's not likely either of them are there at 15.

That's my reasoning anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate both...Sorry.

Like asking me...

You want kicked in the nuts or head?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:
I hate both...Sorry.

Like asking me...

You want kicked in the nuts or head?

I'll take neither. Is there any reasoning behind the hatred?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: