You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Potential Players at Each Position
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Position do the Steelers Draft First?
LB
68%
 68%  [ 13 ]
DE
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
OL
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
CB
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

spush

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Brian was a RB for three of his four years at Rutgers. He unselfishly made the switch to FB.

No, he unselfishly got beat out by Ray Rice and unselfishly lost his starting job. Rutgers normally isnt a playmaker laden roster so you find ways to get your better athletes on the field. Leonard was a good athlete as far as Rutgers goes, but the fact is the team started winning after he lost the feature role.

Quote:
Rathman was always a FB at Nebraska

He was a FB in the wishbone offense under Tom Osborne. His primary responsibility was not lead blocking but carrying the ball and carrying out fakes.

Quote:
Alstott was a true throwback FB

he was a feature back at Purdue and has never played a traditional lead blocking back role in college or pros. He was made into a short yardage/goal line complement.

Quote:
Moose was more of a blocker for Emmitt. He did have the talent to run and could catch a few passes, but Moose made it because of his blocking.

true

Quote:
but the kid can play RB in the NFL

I promise you he'll never win a feature RB role outright in the NFL

2775 yards in 47 career games over 4 yrs isnt exactly star potential. Do the math, never a 1,000 yard season. 207 receptions for 1,868 yards proves to me he's a good WR out of the backfield.

Quote:
The main goals for the fullback and running back position in the West Coast offense are to be able to block and catch. In this offense these positions also have to able to pick up blitzing linebackers. The most important value for these positions is to be able to catch. These positions in the West Coast offense will probably have more catches than rushing attempts

http://football.calsci.com/WCOHistory5.html

sounds like Leonards role to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Just say no to Tyler Palko Shocked

UML-Redskins GM GoSkins

Jamal Lewis seems to be a real uphill runner now. That's a problem. Downhill runners are preferred. Maybe he is running in the wrong direction. Espn DJ Gallo
Larry Stavish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just say NO to Buster Davis, Ginn, Palko and Branch
STELRFAN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: agree Reply with quote

Larry Stavish wrote:

Completely agree with you

UML-Redskins GM GoSkins

Jamal Lewis seems to be a real uphill runner now. That's a problem. Downhill runners are preferred. Maybe he is running in the wrong direction. Espn DJ Gallo
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: I Love You Man! Reply with quote

Hey Spush!

I love you man! You are not going to back down a bit. I love it!!!! Let me keep the debate going.

No, he unselfishly got beat out by Ray Rice and unselfishly lost his starting job.

Did he get beat out or was he asked to move? Either way, I agree that he is not a fast back, but let's not get too much into playing lawyer here. My original point is that he reminds me of Roger Craig. You can't really debate someone's opinion. It's just that: an opinion! You say Rathman and I say Craig!

Rutgers normally isnít a playmaker laden roster so you find ways to get your better athletes on the field. Leonard was a good athlete as far as Rutgers goes, but the fact is the team started winning after he lost the feature role.

He was the starting FB. You can't base players pro potential on what they do in college. College productivity does not equate to NFL success. Hofstra isn't an NFL powerhouse either, but Marques Colston sure fooled a lot of people. Walter Payton went to college at the "NFL running back factory" Jackson State. Rod Woodson came from Division I powerhouse Purdue. I can go on and on from Jerry Rice on down. Am I saying Brian Leonard is the next Walter Payton? No! I am saying that I believe that he can play football in the NFL.

He was a FB in the wishbone offense under Tom Osborne. His primary responsibility was not lead blocking but carrying the ball and carrying out fakes.

The Wishbone does not feature the FB. They do get some carries, but he never led the Huskers in rushing in his four years at Nebraska. If he had that kind of ability he would've been a HB or QB in the wishbone, not a FB.

He was a feature back at Purdue and has never played a traditional lead blocking back role in college or pros. He was made into a short yardage/goal line complement.

Agreed! That's my point! Jim Brown and Franco Harris where FB's. During that era, the FB was the feature back. Jim Taylor, John Henry Johnson, and Marion Motley played that role also. That is what I was comparing Alstott to being a back that was used as a short yardage back, but would've been the man in the 60's and 70's. That is what I meant by true FB. Why are we arguing that point? We are saying the same thing: I think!

true

Thank You Jesus! We agreed to something!

I promise you he'll never win a feature RB role outright in the NFL.[

Nor am I promising or predicting that he will be a feature back. What I said, was that he had the "talent" to be a three down back in the right system. If he were drafted by the Steelers; he would compete to fill a short yardage role, not a feature back.

Who would have thought Hodge or Craig would be feature backs?

[color=red]2775 yards in 47 career games over 4 yrs isnít exactly star potential.

Like I said, college success doesn't equal pro success. Ask Tony Manderich, Tim Worley, Ryan Leaf, Daryl No Sacks Sims, Aaron Jones, etc, etc, etc.

Do the math, never a 1,000 yard season. 207 receptions for 1,868 yards proves to me he's a good WR out of the backfield.

Ron Dayne won the Heisman and ran for 1000 yards, but his pro production has not come close to his college numbers. Willie Parker had no college production yet has twice run for over 1000 yards. Just like you said Buddy, "Do the math!"

Quote:
[color=red]The main goals for the fullback and running back position in the West Coast offense are to be able to block and catch. In this offense these positions also have to able to pick up blitzing linebackers. The most important value for these positions is to be able to catch. These positions in the West Coast offense will probably have more catches than rushing attempts

http://football.calsci.com/WCOHistory5.html

[color=red]sounds like Leonard's role to me
[/color][/quote][/color]

Sounds like Roger Craig too! Craig once had 1000 yards rushing and 1000 yards receiving in the same season. Craig also typically led his team or the league for RB's with receptions also. So if it sounds like Leonard, then you should see why I compared him to Craig.

From your posts, I will assume that you are not a Leonard fan. If I am wrong tell me. Would you draft Leonard to fill the power back role for the Steelers if given the opportunity?
john_moser1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really want willis
he seems to be the only candidate worth of 15 in my mind
with defensive ends there are so many good ones this year
same with receivers
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john_moser1 wrote:
i really want willis
he seems to be the only candidate worth of 15 in my mind
with defensive ends there are so many good ones this year
same with receivers

I like Willis a lot. He has decent size and is very fast. He has a mean streak and is simply a good football player. Forget the 3-4 or 4-3 thing.
I don't think he will be there at 15. I am in favor of dropping in the first round unless a good player falls.

The only player that I would move up and grab is Calvin Johnson. I believe that the Steelers may be able to drop and grab a player of need and BPA lower in the round. Then they can add another player in the top 100. I believe that you want to get as many of the top 100 players as you can.
m_mckinley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torchowski wrote:
Cutwolf wrote:
I hate Carriker. My hate for him is well known.

He is stiff. He doesn't fit in anywhere. He isn't better than Aaron Smith (so he won't be starting in the 4-3). He is only a slight upgrade over Keisel at this point (a worse pass rusher).

Carriker would be a depth pick. We need impact.

Thank You! No one seems to get the fact that in the 3-4, we are all set on starters and in the 4-3. Carricker and Keisel fill the same role as a left defensive end. If you think we are going to a 4-3, which I don't, what you should be looking for is a rush end like Adams or Anderson.

Anderson over Carriker but Carriker is an immediate starter in a 3-4 or 4-3. I'm not a huge fan but if Anderson is gone at 15 and we don't trade back he's got to be the pick.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Stavish wrote:

I disagree with you on these players.

As far as Palko is concerned, I am not talking about taking this kid with a premium draft choice. If the Steelers selected him in round 5 or 6, Iwould think that would be a solid late pick. He can cetainly compete with St. Pierre for the #3 spot.

As far as Craig "Buster" Davis is concerned, he has decent size/speed ratio. Again, I am not talking about taking him as a #1, but he is projected between 2 - 4 rounds. Again, getting him i the 3rd round would be a good value. He can get deep and has some size at 6'2 205.

I understand the fears of drafting Ted Ginn. He is a solid character and once he is fully healed, he can run like the wind. He would be a grea HR and special teams threat. How many games did the Steelers lose because of the return team last year? IMO, at least two (Bengals and Falcons). We wouldn't need Ginn to start, but rather come in as a 3rd or 4th WR and strecth the defense.

Branch is a talented young player. Yes, there are some concerns, but I think the good far outweighs the bad. The guy can play NG or DT. He is huge and very hard to move. Branch is a first round talent. He may or may not be a top 15 pick, but he has the type of size that wrecks havoc on offenses.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: