You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The next?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelSedition

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: The next? Reply with quote

So I was looking over the upcoming draft's OLB prospect combine numbers and comparing them to Merriman's (who else?) to see if anyone can compare...

4.61 in the 40-yard dash (wind-aided) 4.66 in the 40-yard dash 385-pound bench press 590-pound squat 335-pound power clean 38-inch vertical jump (holds the school record for defensive linemen with a 41-inch jump in 2003) 10-foot-7 broad jump 32 7/8-inch arm length 9 5/8-inch hands.

from: http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/merriman_shawne

Gaines Adams: Campus: 4.72 in the 40-yard dash 350-pound bench press Bench presses 225 pounds 20 times 465-pound squat 345-pound power clean 380-pound hang clean 36-inch vertical jump 9-foot-11 broad jump 34 1/8-inch arm length 9 7/8-inch hands Left-handed Wears contacts.

Timmons:Campus: 4.62 in the 40-yard dash 353-pound bench press 508-pound squat 31-inch vertical jump 32 1/8-inch arm length 9 5/8-inch hands.
note: Timmons is nowhere near the same size...

Anthony Spencer: Campus: 4.63 in the 40-yard dash 500-pound bench press 32 5/8-inch arm length 9 5/8-inch hands Right-handed.

Charles Johnson: Campus: 4.68 seconds in the 40-yard dash 365-pound bench press 505-pound squat 33-inch vertical jump 32 7/8-inch arm length 9 5/8-inch hands.

So there's some interesting players for you to compare to Merriman...on a ligher note, before I tore my ACL last year I actually benched as much as Merriman's max is listed above and weighed 20lbs less, but after focusing on rehabbing my knee moreso than my upper body it unfortunately fell drastically. Right now I'm sitting around the 365 mark hoping to surpass 400 by the time I graduate college next year. Why does this matter? It doesn't, as I know that Merriman probably benches one helluva lot more now, though it is nice to know that one of my physical stats can compare (lord knows my 40 cant, let alone my skills as a football player).

Any preference on OLBs? (I know you all have one) Personally, I just wish we had names like Merriman, Demarcus Ware, and Kamerion Wimbley to choose from, which apparently we don't.
Larry Stavish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say give them a couple rounds of roids and redo the combine.
zsirvone28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Timmons fan. Always have been, always will be. He's my choice at 15. We don't need to trade down for him. I like Timmons at 15.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Timmons until I heard he was 6'0 instead of 6'3--though, if Tomlin's thinking future 4-3, he'd fit well.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to wonder if we could trade down and still get Timmons. I've seen him going to the (ugh) Bengals or the Giants in some mocks.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a handful of De's that come close, if you just want to judge the measurables look at Brian Robison's De out of Texas. I've heard that he's just a workout warrior but since he has LB experience and has the most blocked kicks in Among div 1 ncaa football, I would love the steelers to look at him 2nd day.

ht 6031,
wt 259lbs,
40yd 4.67,
225 27 reps,
vertical 40.5 inches,
20 yd shuttle 4.26
broad jumb 10'1"
3 cone 6.89
on his campus agility test, his 40 was listed as 4.84 though, but with a 450lb bench press, 560lb squat, and a 345lb power clean. he did not do any tests at the Texas proday because his combine was so good. And his proday had him listed as a Long Snapper. He also was a award winning disus thrower and shot putter. Some 3-4 team is going to draft him...probably too soon.
zsirvone28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if we could trade down and still get Timmons. I've seen him going to the (ugh) Bengals or the Giants in some mocks.

Along with the Broncos and Ravens. Timmons isn't getting out of the first round.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencer sounded the closest to Merriman of the available pool of prospects this year, so let's trade down, hook him up with a mohawk, and get him on the juice! I feel like he needs some over-the-top dance though...maybe the old Hulk Hogan slow flex? I think we're on to something here...
Blitzberg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hoopester wrote:
Spencer sounded the closest to Merriman of the available pool of prospects this year, so let's trade down, hook him up with a mohawk, and get him on the juice! I feel like he needs some over-the-top dance though...maybe the old Hulk Hogan slow flex? I think we're on to something here...

Thats only if he can flex a pair of 22 inch pythons BROTHER!
HeySteelers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merriman is a cheater.. he takes steroids... I'd rather have Spencer over Merriman any day.. might seem like a horrible horrible move but i hate cheaters and thats what i see Merriman as.

I think the best blitzing player in the draft is Spencer tho.. 26.5 Tackles for loss last year DAMN thats good. Think if we had that pressure Taylor would look unstopable!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The next? Reply with quote

SteelSedition wrote:
Anthony Spencer: 500-pound bench press
Is this right? If so, WOW!!! I would feel good about drafting this guy, not just for the physical numbers but his on field production was second to none (TFL).
The Hoopester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The next? Reply with quote

ktfuehrer wrote:
SteelSedition wrote:
Anthony Spencer: 500-pound bench press
Is this right? If so, WOW!!! I would feel good about drafting this guy, not just for the physical numbers but his on field production was second to none (TFL).

It was second to Jamaal Anderson, who had 3 more sacks. I'm going to say that a 500 lb. bench press isn't enough to reach almost a half-round for.
SteelSedition

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing I do love about Spencer is his numbers, and how Joe Thomas and Levi Brown said he was the hardest player to block for them. That being said, I wonder if he's too one-dimensional, and if he'll be able to make the transition to OLB in a 3-4, or if his athleticism and possible stiff hips will keep him as an end in a 4-3.
zsirvone28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelSedition wrote:
the thing I do love about Spencer is his numbers, and how Joe Thomas and Levi Brown said he was the hardest player to block for them. That being said, I wonder if he's too one-dimensional, and if he'll be able to make the transition to OLB in a 3-4, or if his athleticism and possible stiff hips will keep him as an end in a 4-3.

I know he was the hardest player to block. He can't be an OLB though. He is a one-dimensional rusher like you said. Spencer can't tackle well enough to be a LB. And he is too small to be an every down DE in the NFL. Nor does he have the field awarness to drop into coverage. I hope we don't draft him at all. I don't like Anthony Spencer at all. Draft Timmons!!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: