You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben Roethlisberger
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neumatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Ben Roethlisberger Reply with quote

For those of you who choose to read this I will tell you this right now, Im not that great of writer and there are a few grammer problems in it, dont freak out about it. Also, if you notice anything wrong on it tell me and ill fix it...and some parts might be a bit choppy

The Steelers were looking for a young, talented QB to take over for the deteriorating vet in Tommy Maddox. Maddox was takin 25th over-all in the 1992 NFL Draft and never lived up to any of his expectations, he later ended up in Pittsburgh after he won the MVP award in XFL(which later fell through). After a couple seasons in Pittsburgh with Maddox starting the fans quickly grew tired of his horrible play and decision making on the field.

Ben Roethlisberger started his career as a Pittsburgh Steeler after being drafted #11 Over-all in the 2004 NFL Draft. Steeler Nation was ecstatic after the pick as they knew Maddox would be unseated by Roethlisberger in the near future, the question was how soon? The Steelers also got very lucky with the Eli Manning deal with the Chargers and the Giants as the Chargers had picked Manning but he said he would not sign with them so the Giants Picked up Phillips Rivers(who the Chargers liked more then Ben Roethlisberger) and made a draft day trade for Eli Mannings rights. Had Eli Manning wanted to sign with San Diego, the Giants would have likely picked up Roethlisberger and left us with Phillip Rivers.

With Bill Cowher known to be a very loyal Coach to his vets, many did not believe the Steelers would have Roethlisberger start in his first season. The first two games of the season Roethlisberger sat on the bench untill late in the 2nd game against the Ravens Tommy Maddox was injured and Roethlisberger was pulled into the starting line up. At first he seemed very nervous when he first played in the Baltimore game but after a few plays he became calm and fluid in the pocket.

After that game he started the rest of the season. He suprised everyone, including the Pittsburgh staff and fans in his decision making and his calmness in the pocket. He became the Savior of the Pittsburgh Steelers after a 6-10 season left them with a bitter taste in there mouths in 2003. In 2004 Roethlisberger became known as the best rookie QB ever as he went undefeated in the regular season with a 66.4% completion percentage, 2621 yards, 8.8 YPA, 17 TD, only 11 INT's, and a 98.1 QB Rating. As he led them into the Play-offs with a 15-1 record they barely made it past the Jets, then hit a brick wall, that was the New England Patriots, and just like that Ben Roethlisbergers phenominal rookie season was over. Although he was still viewed apon as the savior of Pittsburgh.

As his second season rolled around he was expected to have a great year and had very high expectations. The highlight moment in the offseason came when he convinced Jerome Bettis to come back for another season as he promised him he would atleast get him to the Superbowl. As the countdown to XL began the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger began on a high note, starting the season 7-2 and looking like a serious contender for the Superbowl. But as Roethlisberger was injured the Steelers had a 3 game skid that left them 7-5 and unlikely to make the play-offs. As Ben returned to full health he had a challenge ahead of him as he most likely needed to help the Steelers win the remaining 4 games to make the Play-offs. He awnsered all doubters that he could do it as he led the Steelers to a 4 game win streak to make the play-offs, outscoring there opponites for a combined 115-33, which included a 41-0 beat down of the Cleveland Browns on Christmas Eve.

They made it into the play-offs with an 11-5 record as the 6th seed in the AFC Conference(which would land them in a tough spot as they had no home field advantage in the play-offs) and would take on division foe, the Bengals. After an early injury to Carson Palmer the Steelers were able to hold the Bengals in check on there way to a 31-17 win. They then went on to face the high-octane offence of the Colts, which almost ended up being the most infamous games in steeler history as Troy Polamalu was robbed of an INT that likely would have put the game out of reach for Indianapolis. As the Steelers had another chance to put the game away with the ball and a 1st and goal they handed it to Jerome Bettis but a helmet of a defender hit smack dab on the ball and Harper picked it up and looked like he would easily get the score as the steelers were in Goalline formation which ment they had a lot of slow-er people on the field but some how Ben Roethlisberger made one of the greatest plays in Steelers history(second to only the Immaculant[sp?] Reception) as he barely grabbed Harpers ankle and brought him down to give the Steelers a chance. With very little time left Indianapolis, who is famous for last minute comebacks with there high-octane offense had a chance to tie the game, when Mike Vanderjact(sp?) kicked the ball WIDE right on what seems to be a chip shot for him with only seconds left in the game. So the Steelers were onto Denver for the AFC Championship Game in which they won 34-17. The Steelers became the second 6th seeded team to ever reach the Superbowl and would become the first ever 6th seeded team to win the Superbowl as they defeated Seattle 21-10, but for Roethlisberger he had his worst day in the play-offs but was still enough to pull out a Superbowl XL win.

During the Off-season tragedy stuck Ben Roethlisberger, his family, Steelers Organization and the NFL when his motorcycle was struck by a car while he was riding around in Pittsburgh. He had many injuries and at first it seemed doubtful that he would play football in the near future. But luck turned his way and he became healthy enough to play the first game of the season against Miami. But befor the game Ben had another setback as he had his appendix(sp?) removed(or somethin like that lol).

Ben started the season very rocky and that helped contibute to the reigning Superbowl Champs horrid start to the season. Once Ben began to return to his 04 and 05 form Ben Roethlisberger suffered yet another set back as he had a cuncussion in the Atlanta game which seemed to put Ben right back were he started. Roethlisberger then showed iprovement the rest of the season on the way to lead the steelers to a dissappointing 8-8 finish with a career high 23 INT's(more then his first 2 season combined) to go with 18 TD's.

So Ben has accomplished a lot in his very short Career, which includes a Superbowl win, very good record as a starter, a 87 some all-time QB rating, among other things. He is also getting ready for this up-comming season in which he will not have all these injuries to bother himso he should have a very good year and can add to his list of accomplishments.

The thing is, there are still some people who think Ben Roethlisberger is one of the worst starting QB's in the NFL and think he sucks...I think they are basing it off of an off-year in which Ben had multiple injuries bug him the whole season(and he was still able to pull off an average season).

So what do you guys think about Bens accomlishments in this short career?

Jamison. on the sig
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us were aware of all that Ben has accomplished, but it is a pretty good article for those uneducated on him.

Bill Cowher was actually reported to be a big fan of Phillip Rivers and wanted him as the Steelers QB, but it all worked out fo the best.

And I see plenty of people on the NFL Forum calling Ben one of worst, but the same people call Vince Young and Jason Campbell better. Just proves how little people know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bill Cowher was actually reported to be a big fan of Phillip Rivers and wanted him as the Steelers QB, but it all worked out fo the best.
ya i seen that, which he wouldnt be a bad pick, i still like Roethlisberger better and think he will have a better career with us then i think Rivers would. I think they're both going to be pro-bowl caliber for most of there careers, Phillip Rivers willprobably have a better career though seeing how he has the best RB and TE in the NFL and they will likely get him a new target in the draft. which we do have similar players at them positions but Parker and Miller dont compare to LT and A. Gates IMO.

Jamison. on the sig
SteelSedition

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't trade Ben for any other QB in the game (Brady and Manning would be obvious choices, but bc of their age I'd rather have Ben as I think the Steelers won't be a legit top 4 team SB contender for 2 more years). He's only 25, and what he accomplished his first two years in the league is unprecedented. Two AFC Championship games in his first two years with one Super Bowl victory is ridiculous. I can't stand the people who claim Ben is the most overrated qb in the league stating that QBs like Campbell and Leinart are way better, when neither of the two have accomplished nearly what Ben has.

Ben's a special playmaker and a winner, and I know that I might be biased, but I honestly believe by the time Ben hangs it up he could have 2-3 more rings. I just can't wait to see how Ben and the team responds after a disappointing year last year, and how effective Tomlin is as he steps in as a head coach.
Neumatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelSedition wrote:
I honestly wouldn't trade Ben for any other QB in the game (Brady and Manning would be obvious choices, but bc of their age I'd rather have Ben as I think the Steelers won't be a legit top 4 team SB contender for 2 more years). He's only 25, and what he accomplished his first two years in the league is unprecedented. Two AFC Championship games in his first two years with one Super Bowl victory is ridiculous. I can't stand the people who claim Ben is the most overrated qb in the league stating that QBs like Campbell and Leinart are way better, when neither of the two have accomplished nearly what Ben has.

Ben's a special playmaker and a winner, and I know that I might be biased, but I honestly believe by the time Ben hangs it up he could have 2-3 more rings. I just can't wait to see how Ben and the team responds after a disappointing year last year, and how effective Tomlin is as he steps in as a head coach.
believe me when i say this, no true Steeler fans would trade Ben for any other QB...personally i wouldnt even trade him for a young Peyton Manning or Brady Anxious ...

Jamison. on the sig
Jayme96

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that you could be a "true" Steelers fan and want to trade Ben for another QB. Personally, he'd be my choice too, but just because someone wouldn't want him doesn't mean they're not true fans. Like me not liking Hinesy. Doesn't make me any less of a fan, just one of those "different strokes for different folks" type things.

There is one thing I've heard about that I don't like about Ben though. That is his work ethic. You can tell by looking at him he's flabby. You're a multi-million dollar NFL QB. Get in shape for christ's sake.

My reasoning in taking him above any other QB is this. He's more athletic than Brady, Manning and Palmer, who I'd rate as the other top 4 QBs. However, he isn't one of those stupid mobile QBs that just wants to run. He has good awareness, good arm, and he's younger than them too. I really am looking forward to the offense this year. I never thought Cowher was a very good offensive coach (not BAD, but certainly not good either).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I never thought Cowher was a very good offensive coach (not BAD, but certainly not good either).
Well i expect no less from Mike Tomlin, i lay odds he isnt gonna be a good Offensive coach either...but maybe he can change my mind in the near future...

Jamison. on the sig
The Hoopester

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neumatic wrote:
believe me when i say this, no true Steeler fans would trade Ben for any other QB...personally i wouldnt even trade him for a young Peyton Manning or Brady Anxious ...

I watched Ben for three years in college, and i was rooting for us to draft him all along (a combo of my respect for him, my malaise over Rivers' side arm slinger, and my hatred for the entire Manning clan), and he's my boy, but an objective look over his career shows a slight immaturity, or a "diva" attitude. Now, don't get me wrong, Ben had the greatest first two seasons of any QB in the NFL, but to say you'd rather have him than a young Brady is a rediculous statement. Brady may end up with 5-7 rings during his career...one for the thumb, and some to get started on the other hand. Ben's very, very good, but there's a good chance that Brady could be looked at as the best ever by the time he's done.
StillersFury

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What separates the good coach from the great coach is the ability to delegate power...Let your assistant coaches coach. The ability to step back

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hoopester wrote:
Neumatic wrote:

I watched Ben for three years in college, and i was rooting for us to draft him all along (a combo of my respect for him, my malaise over Rivers' side arm slinger, and my hatred for the entire Manning clan), and he's my boy, but an objective look over his career shows a slight immaturity, or a "diva" attitude. Now, don't get me wrong, Ben had the greatest first two seasons of any QB in the NFL, but to say you'd rather have him than a young Brady is a rediculous statement. Brady may end up with 5-7 rings during his career...one for the thumb, and some to get started on the other hand. Ben's very, very good, but there's a good chance that Brady could be looked at as the best ever by the time he's done.
I never said that Ben Roethlisberger was better then Brady and I never will say that, because he isnt and likely never will be. All i said is id take him over a young Manning/Brady, not that Ben is better then either of them so i think you might not have completely got what i was saying.

Jamison. on the sig
treat88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neumatic wrote:
The Hoopester wrote:
Neumatic wrote:

I never said that Ben Roethlisberger was better then Brady and I never will say that, because he isnt and likely never will be. All i said is id take him over a young Manning/Brady, not that Ben is better then either of them so i think you might not have completely got what i was saying.

I guess I don't get what you are saying either. If you don't think he is a better football player than them, why would you take him over them?

I appreciate what Ben has accomplished and will get taken to task for this, but he is a far cry from Manning or Brady. Work ethic, football knowledge, and off-field devotion all lag behind.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Neumatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:
What separates the good coach from the great coach is the ability to delegate power...Let your assistant coaches coach. The ability to step back
who is our assistant coaches now with Arians being Promoted, Grubbs leaving for AZ and I believe Perry was fired too? I cant find anything about it...

Jamison. on the sig
Neumatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
I guess I don't get what you are saying either. If you don't think he is a better football player than them, why would you take him over them?

I appreciate what Ben has accomplished and will get taken to task for this, but he is a far cry from Manning or Brady. Work ethic, football knowledge, and off-field devotion all lag behind.
Im not a fan of either of them, Manning doesnt fit my style at QB and iv never liked Brady(maybe because he played at Michigan Laughing). There isnt much information about work-ethic so i can really agree/disagree with that but, of course Brady and Manning will have more football knowledge at this point but did they have more football knowledge then Ben there first few years? And what do you meen by off-feild devotion? are talking about things like how Ike practiced his catching skills right after the season to get better and players watching a lot of tape ect ect?(if so, doesnt that go along with work-ethic?)

Jamison. on the sig
treat88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neumatic wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Im not a fan of either of them, Manning doesnt fit my style at QB and iv never liked Brady(maybe because he played at Michigan Laughing). There isnt much information about work-ethic so i can really agree/disagree with that but, of course Brady and Manning will have more football knowledge at this point but did they have more football knowledge then Ben there first few years? And what do you meen by off-feild devotion? are talking about things like how Ike practiced his catching skills right after the season to get better and players watching a lot of tape ect ect?(if so, doesnt that go along with work-ethic?)

Just wondering why you'd take Ben over Brady and Manning. Are you saying if they were all at the same stage in their careers you think Ben has the most upside?

Manning and Brady have both displayed a dedication to the game in terms of on and off field work ethic that I just haven't seen in Ben despite his accomplishments. Meaning avoiding situations that create distraction (off field) and intensity of preparation (on field).

I pains me to say it, but if Brady (or Manning) was our QB we would likely have 1 more ring and have beaten the Seahawks much more convincingly. This comes from a guy who dislikes Brady intensely and bleeds black and gold.

But, I think we won our SB despite Ben's play not because of it and with merely adequate QB play would have been in another SB and competitive last season.

Ben deserves his accolades but has to progress as a player and a leader before being compared to either Brady or Manning.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Neumatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
Just wondering why you'd take Ben over Brady and Manning. Are you saying if they were all at the same stage in their careers you think Ben has the most upside?

Manning and Brady have both displayed a dedication to the game in terms of on and off field work ethic that I just haven't seen in Ben despite his accomplishments. Meaning avoiding situations that create distraction (off field) and intensity of preparation (on field).
No im not saying that, b/c after 3 years Manning showed way more upside then Ben has(actually, he showed more upside then any other QB after 3 years iv seen). Although IMO Ben has showed about the same upside after 3 years as i seen from Tom Brady.

I preffer Ben over Peyton because im not a fan of Peytons style(pure pocket passer w/ little scrambling ability). Plus it doesnt help that he is a Manning Laughing Wink

As for Ben over Brady, its really just personal prefference. Its not really based on anything exept my personal prefference. And its prolly a bit biased since He is a small-town guy from Ohio Twisted Evil

As for the off-field struff, are you talkin about the Motorcycle thing and/or his party'n?

Edit:Haha...this is post 1933, a historic post # Laughing

Jamison. on the sig

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: