You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ghengis Graz's Dream draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghengis Graz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Ghengis Graz's Dream draft Reply with quote

Take it easy on me I am a newbie and this is my DREAM draft. It'll never happen.

I hated it last year when we had all those day two picks going on a team that had no place to keep them. We need guys with the ability to start. Therefore I am into trading all the day two picks we can and leaving only our two compensatory picks. I also don't think we'll get good value at 15 and hope we trade down.

The trades I am projecting make sense from a points standpoint so they at least make sense from that perspective. Would a team want to move in the opposite direction as us.... who knows? No one on this board including myself.

My trades are us giving our 1st, 6th and 7th for the Bears 1st and 2nd. Also our 3rd, 4th and 5th for the Chargers 2nd.

All the players picked are also supposed to go right around where I have them going. no big reaches but also no big drops anticipated.

Thus our draft leaves us with:

1 - 31 - Justin Blalock - OG from Texas - 6'4" 331 - Should start at RG in 07 and if not good to have around WHEN Faneca goes away after next season.

2 - 37 - Lamaar Woodley - OLB from Michigan - 6'1" 269 - Should help our absolutely pathetic pass rush right away and work himself into a good every down player with time. A good friend of mine went to Ohio State and says this guy is an animal to all you nay sayers out there. For a Buckeye to priase a Wolverine he must have something going for him. Our problems with pass defense last year were not due to our secondary. Porter only got sacks when the scheme let him run free. He could not beat a player to get to the QB.

2 - 46 - Sidney Rice - WR from South Carolina - 6'4" 205 - Should help in the red zone right away and help us get rid of some overpaid vets.

2 - 62 - Joe Staley - OT from Central Michigan - 6'6" 296 - Will start at tackle for us in 2008.

4 - 132 - Zak DeOssie - ILB from Brown - 6'4" 245 - Good depth and will push Wallace for the primary spot to back up our two starters. Good special teams help right away.

5 - 170 - Jackie Battle - RB from Houston - Don't know much about him other than what I have read here but he seems like a good compliment to FWP which I think we need. chris Henry would be another possibility or even Bush if he slips this far.

Every one of these guys could make the team and contribute. All picks are in a need or soon to be need area. I'd rather draft these 6 players than 9 and watch 4-5 of them never see the field.

Regards

Ghengis Graz
StillersFury

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Woodley

I like every other player named

I hate this mock for the Steelers

Steelers are a team in transition on defense like it or not

Def End and OLb will be addressed early and often

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the 3 2nd rounders. Hate Blalock at 31, would probably address OG where you have Battle going and take Harris/Timmons at 31. Only way I'd take DeOssie if he was my 3rd LB drafted, I dont believe he is starting calibur NFL material. Maybe Quincy Black in his spot, Stewart Bradley or Anthony Waters if they fall.

1. Harris
2. Woodley
2. Rice
2. Staley
4. Bradley/Black
5. Alleman/Duckworth/Santucci/Wrotto

I agree with you though about getting impact players. 2nd day depth could be sacrificed for that. Steelers have good depth, need to add playmakers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the non pompous feedback guys.

Where does the anti Woodley sentiment come from? He really seems like a love him or hate him player. I saw him play briefly and my buddy saw him alot and loves him as an OLB. Everything I have read makes him seem to me to be a poor mans Merriman. Has a mean streak too.

I, like most Steelers fans, am hoping against hope we do not switch to the sissified cover 2 crappy defense. This draft reflects my desires.

We do need an impact guard sooner rather than later so think that needs addressed in day one. Faneca will almost certainly be gone leaving us with our best guard as Kemo and after him........
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one like Woodley, and even though it will never happen, I like that draft.

Not a fan of Jackie Battle, but some people are. I like every other player selected though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I for one like Woodley, and even though it will never happen, I like that draft.

Not a fan of Jackie Battle, but some people are. I like every other player selected though.

i like woodley as well he is a big tough guy that can rush something whe dont got

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodley was dominated when he faced a quality OT in college...Nfl is an entire different beast...IF he couldnt handle a decent college player how do you expect him to have success against Nfl level players?

Woodley played 34 Olb for 2 years at Michigan...HE WAS AWFUL.

Quote:
I, like most Steelers fans, am hoping against hope we do not switch to the sissified cover 2 crappy defense.

Wasnt to sissified when the Steelers were winning 4 super bowls in 6 years Wink

Quote:
Everything I have read makes him seem to me to be a poor mans Merriman. Has a mean streak too.

I found 13 articles banging on Woodley.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient history when we ran it. It has changed and so has the NFL. The teams that run it now just don't get my pulse racing when I think of their defenses. I not only want my team to have a good record but I like the "mystique" of the attacking defense which the Cover 2 simply does not bring. One advantage of a 3-4 is the fact that you need more athletic linebackers whihc in theory helps your special teams. Think how bad our special teams could be if that is even possible.

I'd have to check Woodleys stats VS good tackles to make an argument either way. The fact that my Ohio State buddy thought he was a good player indicated he must have looked decent VS Ohio State. His overall stats do not indicate he was awful for the last two years nor do the numeous articles I have read.
Jayme96

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Staley will be gone in the 20s of the first round. No way he lasts till pick #62. I don't think you'd even be able to get him with any of our 4 earlier picks is what I'm saying lol. It would, however, be more realistic if you went with Staley at 1-31 and Blalock or Grubbs at 37, Rice at 46 and Woodley at 62. You'd have a much better chance at getting all your guys in that order anyway, but might have to switch out Blalock for Grubbs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghengis Graz wrote:
Ancient history when we ran it. It has changed and so has the NFL. The teams that run it now just don't get my pulse racing when I think of their defenses. I not only want my team to have a good record but I like the "mystique" of the attacking defense which the Cover 2 simply does not bring. One advantage of a 3-4 is the fact that you need more athletic linebackers whihc in theory helps your special teams. Think how bad our special teams could be if that is even possible.

I'd have to check Woodleys stats VS good tackles to make an argument either way. The fact that my Ohio State buddy thought he was a good player indicated he must have looked decent VS Ohio State. His overall stats do not indicate he was awful for the last two years nor do the numeous articles I have read.

That is flawed logic. There have been plenty of 4-3 D's that have been just as good or even better than our 3-4 D's. If Tomlin sticks with 4-3 even after LeBeau is gone, then fine, but Id rather they run what they know than run something the coaches arent very familiar with.

And there are plenty of 4-3 teams with good special teams, I dont even know where you came up with that. Weve been running 3-4 for a while and weve had bad special teams a few times.

Both 3-4 and 4-3 have their weaknesses and vulnerablities. It really depends how well they are run and personell that determines success.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was I prefer the 3-4 due to the havok it wreaks and want them to stay with it thus my bias to 3-4 players. Sure there have been good 4-3 defenses out there but I they do not get my blood racing as much as ours has the last few years when run correctly.

The fact that the 3-4 lends itself to POTENTIALLY better special teams has been an often stated advantage for the 3-4. you get to have more LB's on your roster. Ny point was given the same coaching over the last few years just think how rotten our special teams WOULD have been with less talent to work with.

I have not seen Staley going in the first anywhere but flipping him earlier in the second may be necessary if he has climbed. I do not see him goig in the first.
Jayme96

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghengis Graz wrote:
My point was I prefer the 3-4 due to the havok it wreaks and want them to stay with it thus my bias to 3-4 players. Sure there have been good 4-3 defenses out there but I they do not get my blood racing as much as ours has the last few years when run correctly.

The fact that the 3-4 lends itself to POTENTIALLY better special teams has been an often stated advantage for the 3-4. you get to have more LB's on your roster. Ny point was given the same coaching over the last few years just think how rotten our special teams WOULD have been with less talent to work with.

I have not seen Staley going in the first anywhere but flipping him earlier in the second may be necessary if he has climbed. I do not see him goig in the first.

I'd bet money he goes Rd 1, and I'm NOT a betting man. He's without a doubt a top 3 OT in the draft this year, and they are always at a premium. IMO he's the #2 OT in the draft this year, behind the other Joe, but that's mainly because Levi didn't impress me when I saw PSU play this year, whereas Staley did when I saw him play.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html #20 to the Giants

I've also seen several other pro draftniks putting him at #24 to the Patriots.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my favorite mock but not bad. I like the idea of ditching all the later picks we have to move up in the 2nd or 3rd. I love some of the trades people come up with but trades are so unpredictable.
spush

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayme96 wrote:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html #20 to the Giants

I've also seen several other pro draftniks putting him at #24 to the Patriots.

very weak OT class. Staley is a first round reach, but someone will panic and reach for need and get him in late 1, early 2.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: