You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

O Line......

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kysteeler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: O Line...... Reply with quote

I know that we looked really bad last year with the oline but I dont look too much at the line in games, and was wondering where our weak spots are?
BigBen7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: O Line...... Reply with quote

kysteeler wrote:
I know that we looked really bad last year with the oline but I don't look too much at the line in games, and was wondering where our weak spots are?

In my opinion...OC and RG are the real needs on our O-Line. It's fairly obvious that we have a bit of hole to fill with Hartings gone and RG seems to be a bit undecided.

I'm just wondering if Starks would play at a higher level if he had a solid RG beside him Think

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: O Line...... Reply with quote

kysteeler wrote:
I know that we looked really bad last year with the oline but I dont look too much at the line in games, and was wondering where our weak spots are?

Judging from last years play the entire line was the problem. They set a very high standard for themselves and noone wants to seem to buy into my "enigma" theory. But 4 or the same 5 guys this will impress.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to me only G is a partial problem.

It just all depends if we resign Starks long term.

Lets say we do sign him long term:

Smith Faneca Mahan Simmons Starks
Essex Kemo Okobi Colon Colon

Not to mention Phillips at C and Mahan can play either G and C.

The only problem area I see is LG, and thats if we dont give an extension to Faneca.We got Colon at RG and RT. He played solid when given the chance. The Steelers arent going to waste cnsecutive 3rd round picks. There was a reason we drafted them.

Smith has 2 years left on his contract and will be 30 then. I think they either keep Essex around long term or they let Smith go in 2 years and draft a replacement.
skywlker32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Well, to me only G is a partial problem.

It just all depends if we resign Starks long term.

Lets say we do sign him long term:

Smith Faneca Mahan Simmons Starks
Essex Kemo Okobi Colon Colon

Not to mention Phillips at C and Mahan can play either G and C.

The only problem area I see is LG, and thats if we dont give an extension to Faneca.We got Colon at RG and RT. He played solid when given the chance. The Steelers arent going to waste cnsecutive 3rd round picks. There was a reason we drafted them.

Smith has 2 years left on his contract and will be 30 then. I think they either keep Essex around long term or they let Smith go in 2 years and draft a replacement.

I think that Essex is being groomed as the LT like you said and Colon as the LG eventually. I could be wrong, but I think it was Colon that was the backup at LT, LG, RG, and RT at one point. I realize that Kemo ended up being the sub for Simmons, but I don't see Kemo playing LG for some reason. People have been complaining about Faneca's pass blocking lately, but Kemo will be worse in pass protection if he plays the left side. The whole right side of the defensive line is generally the stronger pass rushers and Kemo didn't look too good in pass protection against the weaker pass rushers.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
StillersFury

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starks when healthy is a decent pass blocker...Devestating run blocker. I expect Starks to be signed to a 4 year deal post 6-1

Simmons is putrid. Gone in 08

Mahan is alot better then advertized. LTS

Faneca is a decent pass blocker...Devestating run blocker. Most likely gone...Will see how the season goes...Winning changes everything

Smith is a good pass blocker...Very good run run blocker. Signed through 08

Larry Zierlein will add accountability to the Oline. Preperation is the key to success...I am a Zierlein fan...I did not like Grimm

Depth.

Colon I expect to win Rg

Kemo has tools..Big strong mean...Has to put it all together..A defined blocking system will increase Kemos chances to succeed

Essex is fat slow and horrible...Other then that hes fine

Okobi- Sucks

Phillip- Has some upside.

Steelers could use a swing Olinemen just in case.

Why I stopped complaining about the Justin Blalock/Aaron Sears picks in the 2nd round

Biggest difference will be coaching...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:

You do remember that he held Freeney to nothing when we were on our SuperBowl run 2 years ago.

Hes solid, and has played well when given the chance.
gseabrook26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
StillersFury wrote:

You do remember that he held Freeney to nothing when we were on our SuperBowl run 2 years ago.

To say that he played well that game is an exaggeration. Freeney didn't record a sack but he pressured Ben a few times in that game. Also don't make it seem like he had a hand in our SB run. He played two or three games and we lost them all. I'm not saying he was at fault for any of those losses, but he didn't do anything for the 8 straight wins we had after that.
That said, he's a good backup but I just can't see him starting for 5-7 year as our LT when that's probably the most important position for us on the o-line.
StillersFury

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really...Hmm

4 starts

Essex got help all day in his last 3 starts Steelers had to change there offense because Essex was starting...He was left on island one game..Vs the Ravens and he got Ben killed!!!!!!! gave up 3 sacks

He got help Vs the Colts (Te and chipped with a back...Leaving 3 man routes) Rolling Eyes Horrible in the run game

Bears...Steelers went to ground and pound...Essex did a decent job vs 258 pound Alex Brown in the run game...Got help all day in pass pro

Vikings Got help in Pass pro...Still gave up a sack...Defense won the game...Steelers struggled to run the ball.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
StillersFury wrote:

I also remember a couple false starts, and getting bowled over onto his back while Freeney blowing up a run play and after that a back or TE chipped him all day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys realize that everyoen has a few bad plays. However, we have our opinions and thats not going to change. Maybe I just have an inflated view of him, but I dont think so.

You also realize that he was a rookie........all rookie struggle a little bit.

I think he played solid, you guys dont. Everyone has a opinion.

Just my thoughts.
BigBen7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope our new O-Line coach knows how to improve our current pass blocking!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: