You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Philadelphia Eagles Position Analysis: Offense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky_b27

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Philadelphia Eagles Position Analysis: Offense Reply with quote

Philadelphia Eagles Position Analysis: Offense

While browsing the Houston Texans forum; I came across a post in which they discussed their offence and defence. I have taken that idea; and adapted it, with my views on each position, and the likelihood of the Eagles addressing at position in the draft.

Current Offensive Depth Chart

QB: D. McNabb A.J. Feeley K. Holcomb
RB: B. Westbrook C. Buckhalter R. Moats
FB: T. Tapeh J. Davis Z. Tuiasosopo
WR1: K. Curtis H. Baskett B. Johnson
WR2: R. Brown G. Lewis J. Avant
TE: L.J. Smith M. Schobel M. Bartrum
LT: W. Thomas W. Justice
LG: T. Herremans M. Jean-Giles
C: J. Jackson N. Cole
RG: S. Andrews S. Young
RT: J. Runyan P. McCoy

(Direct from the Eagle’s website)

Quarterbacks

Donavan McNabb (Age: 30, Years Pro: 9)
A.J. Feeley (Age: 29, Years Pro: 7)
Kelly Holcomb (Age: 33, Years Pro: 11)
Jeff Mroz (Age: 23, Years Pro: 1)

Mark’s View

Without a doubt, Donavan is our starter; however, coming back from a knee injury he cannot be unduly rushed into action for fears of a recurrent injury. If Donavan is not fit for the start of the season (all reports point to he will be fine for training camp); or suffers another injury, we have two experienced quarterbacks to fill in. With the recent contract extension, A.J. Feeley is slotted into the #2 QB spot and is likely to be the QB of the future. Holcomb has been brought in to add depth to the QB position, as well as challenge for the #3 QB spot. I don’t know much about Mroz; but he looks like he will be a training camp body, pushing for the #3 QB spot, or a place on the practice squad.

Draft Outlook

It is unlikely that the Eagles will draft a QB in the first day; unless a prospect that they are really high on falls to them. It is more likely that a QB will be brought in the later rounds 5-7, to be a developmental guy, holding the clipboard for a couple of years, and challenging Feeley for the #2 QB slot in a couple of years. It is likely that if we draft a QB, they will either beat Holcomb to the #3 slot or be on the practice squad.

Running Backs

Brian Westbrook (Age: 27, Years Pro: 6)
Correll Buckhalter (Age: 28, Years Pro: 7)
Ryan Moats (Age: 24, Years Pro: 3)
Antoine Bagwell (Age: 22, Years Pro: 1)

Mark’s View
After McNabb got injured, Westbrook stepped his game up to a new level, just missing out on a pro bowl selection. One has to take into account he got the ball more; due to the change of emphasis in play calling. Correll played well the last season as a complement to Westbrook, and it is good to see what he can do when he is off the injury table. Ryan Moats is slightly unlucky in that he has a similar running style to Westbrook; so it is in the realms of possibility the Moats will be traded this off-season. Bagwell was signed after the season ended; I expect the Eagles will look at him during training camp, and make a decision if he can contribute.

Draft Outlook

It has been mentioned many times that Philadelphia requires a ‘bigger back’, on who can get the hard yards when needed. With this in mind, there is a chance that we will look at running backs in the 1st day. However, it is more likely that we will look to a running back in the middle rounds, after defensive needs have been filled. If we do draft a running back, then Moats could be traded, and vice versa, if Moats is traded, look for us to take a 3rd back.

Full Backs

Thomas Tapeh (Age: 27, Years Pro: 4)
Jason Davis (Age: 23, Years Pro: 2)
Zach Tuiasosopo (Age: 25, Years Pro: 1)

Mark’s View

The fullback is an underrated position in my opinion; and during the season Tapeh worked well as the lead blocker for Westbrook or Buckhalter, as well as figuring in the passing game as an outlet for the QB. Davis spent this year on IR, but showed promise during preseason, giving the coaches another option at FB. Tuiasosopo spent the last year on the practice squad, and with a good training camp, could push for a spot on the full roster.

Draft Outlook

With 3 fullbacks on the roster, it is unlikely that the Eagles will us a draft pick on a fullback. On the other hand, competition may be added during training camp with the addition of undrafted rookie free agents.

Tight Ends

L.J. Smith (Age: 26, Years Pro: 5)
Matt Schobel (Age: 28, Years Pro: 6)
Mike Bartrum (Age: 36, Years Pro: 13)
Lee Vickers (Age: ?, Years Pro: 1)

Mark’s View

L.J. Smith has developed into a top tight end for the Eagles, improving weaker aspects of his game such as blocking. This puts the Eagles into a good state for next year. The pickup of Schobel gives us experience at the TE position, as well as letting us run some 2 TE packages. Bartrum spent most of the last season on IR with a neck injury, and at the age of 36 may be leaning towards retirement; however, if he stays, his long snapping ability is valued greatly. Vickers spent the last year on the practice squad after converting from a defensive end; I expect another year on the practice squad; unless he explodes during training camp.

Draft Outlook

With next year being L.J. Smith’s contract year, there is an option of selecting a TE early on, which would give the Eagles the option of trading Smith if contract negotiations go badly. However, the Eagles usually sign up players with long contracts, so it is more likely that a tight end will be drafted in the middle rounds, to compete with Schobel for the #2 slot, and compensate if Bartrum retires or is let go.

Wide Receivers

Kevin Curtis (Age: 28, Years Pro: 5)
Reggie Brown (Age: 26, Years Pro: 3)
Hank Baskett (Age: 24, Years Pro: 2)
Greg Lewis (Age: 27, Years Pro: 5)
Jason Avant (Age: 23, Years Pro: 2)
Jeremy Bloom (Age: 24, Years Pro: 2)
Bethel Johnson (Age: 28, Years Pro: 5)
Michael Gasperson (Age: 24, Years Pro: 1)
Jermaine Jamison (Age: 23, Years Pro: 1)
J.J. Outlaw (Age: 23, Years Pro: 1)
Bill Sampy (Age: 23, Years Pro: 1)

Mark’s View

With the addition of Kevin Curtis, as the replacement for Donte Stallworth, the Eagles have a solid core of young wide receivers that offer different attributes to the team. Curtis has learnt behind potential HoF receivers Bruce and Holt, and should step into the starting line up into the void left by Stallworth. Reggie Brown has steadily improved since his rookie year, and could have a break out year the coming season. Baskett and Avant were both drafted last year, and contributed well in their first year, and should get more touches in their sophomore seasons. Greg Lewis has been a dependable slot receiver, especially on 3rd downs, but with the talent around him, may be in danger of losing his roster spot. Bloom and free agent Johnson both are mainly kick/punt returners, but both could contribute on the offence. I am looking forward to see Bloom play, and could be explosive in the slot. The younger guys Gasperson, Jamison, Outlaw and Sampy have all spent time with the Eagles, either in training camp, or on the practice squad. Jamison and Outlaw have both been assigned to NFL Europa, giving the Eagles a chance to see them out on the field. I expect that these four will challenge in training camp, but would most likely be on the practice squad or released.

Draft Outlook

With 11 receivers on the current roster, with the oldest being 28 there is no real need for another wideout, especially with the signing of Kevin Curtis. However, practice squad bodies could be added through URFA.

Offensive Line

William Thomas (Age: 32, Years Pro: 10)
Winston Justice (Age: 22, Years Pro: 2)
Todd Herremans (Age: 24, Years Pro: 3)
Max Jean-Giles (Age: 23, Years Pro: 2)
Jamaal Jackson (Age: 26, Years Pro: 4)
Nick Cole (Age: 22, Years Pro: 2)
Shawn Andrews (Age: 24, Years Pro: 4)
Scott Young (Age: 25, Years Pro: 3)
Jon Runyan (Age: 33, Years Pro: 12)
Pat McCoy (Age: 26, Years Pro: 2)
Stefan Rodgers (Age: 25, Years Pro: 2)
Jasper Harvey (Age: 23, Years Pro: 1)

Mark’s View

Besides our starting tackles, the Eagles offensive line is young, but fairly experienced. Thomas and Runyan are both showing no signs of slowing down, with Runyan in particular working well with Andrews in the running game. Herremans has developed into a solid LG, and offers versatility as he is able to play at both tackle positions. Jackson had a good year, after beating out Fraley in training camp, leading to Hank being traded to Cleveland. Shawn Andrews is awesome, he worked hard last off season, and the results showed as ‘the big kid’ had imo the best season of any guard in the NFL, rightly deserving him a pro bowl selection. With 2nd year players Winston Justice and Max Jean-Giles learning the system and getting stronger, we have two backups who we seriously need to consider starting. As a result of this, if the front office feel the Justice is ready, we could see the trade of Thomas this off season. Once Runyan retires, Philadelphia have the option of moving Herremans to RT and placing Jean-Giles in at LG, where his road-grading ability would be ideal. Other backups Cole, Young and McCoy will all have the chances in training camp and preseason, giving them chance to push for starting time and develop their skills. Rodgers and Harvey I don’t know as much on, but Rodgers spent the last year on IR, and could push McCoy for the back up RT position. Harvey has been assigned to NFL Europa, giving the front office more video to analyse him.

Draft Outlook

With Any Reid’s fondness for offensive linemen; there is a fair chance the Eagles will pick an offensive lineman, even in the later rounds, maybe to develop them, or place them on the practice squad. However, I think that if a talented RT prospect dropped to the Eagles in the 1st day; don’t be surprised if they take him as the eventual replacement to Runyan, and to provide competition for places.

Right then, this is the offence done, now its time for me to get back to some mathematics coursework Sad .

I will try and do defense and special teams analysis tomorrow sometime.

Comments and Discussion on this would be very helpful.

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by marky_b27 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Poloc2289

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good idea and great analysis. Surprised this hasn't been done before, but I gotta say with Holcombe and Feeley, I really can't see the Eagles drafting another QB. That is unless there is an undeniable talent still on the board in the later rounds. Oh and one little thing, it's offense and defense. No c in the two
thisonesforyou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, I literally made this account for one sole purpose, to tell you how much of a [inappropriate/removed] you are. Just because people hold up letter "D"'s with fences next to them does not mean that it is spelled as such. Thank you and this will be my one and only post...ever.

This one is for you marky boy.
marky_b27

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good old English language, just letting you all know, i'm English, and in the dictionary, it is offence and defence, but also says that in the US (where I expect both of you are from) it is spelt offense and defense, so we are both right, it just depends what part of the world we are from. Anyway, back to the comments
mpieco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is A.J. Feeley the "quarterback of the future" when he is only 1 year younger than McNabb.

also, I think you mean Offense.
gothman25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpieco wrote:
how is A.J. Feeley the "quarterback of the future" when he is only 1 year younger than McNabb.

also, I think you mean Offense.

Did you not read his post right above yours?
mpieco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i didn't, and there's no need to be rude and clutter the post with nonsense.

also, this game is played in the US, so why use the Old English spelling? It's not up for debate. It's offense and defense, regardless.
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel ya' Marky.
If I spent all day "criticising" English, spelling and typos on this site it would be a full-time job...especially if I didn't write so good. Very Happy

Back to the thread...

OL:
Your O-line analysis is perfect, assuming Jean-Gilles develops and keeps his weight down. Look for a day 2 C/OG pick to round out the group. Hint: Must play centre. Long-snapper exp. a plus.

WR:
Michael Gasperson (Age: 24, Years Pro: 1)
Jermaine Jamison (Age: 23, Years Pro: 1)
J.J. Outlaw (Age: 23, Years Pro: 1)
Bill Sampy (Age: 23, Years Pro: 1)

They are just warm bodies. Who sits on the practice squad and comes on to play significant time at WR? This is one of those positions where either you have it or you don't. Johnson is merely insurance for Bloom. Avant, while the Eagles are high on him is the same guy as Baskett, except not as good. And Lewis is, well, Lewis. That leaves Curtis, Brown and Baskett in the banque.
I can see the Eagles adding a WR early if one falls to them. Otherwise, I see nobody on day 2 any better than what we have.

FB: Look for Davis, not Tuiasosopo, to beat out Tapeh in camp. This is a position where you can gain ground on the practice squad or IR.

RB: Moats probably has far less trade value than most people on this site believe. Every team seems to have a guy like him. Nonetheless, look for the Eagles to keep him one more year. Some guys are slow developers.
He could be moved, though, for an '08 6th or 7th on draft day if a back falls to us. In that case the question is do we take a big back like Tony Hunt or Kolby Smith (my favourite on day 2) or do we take another Westbrook-type player ie. Garrett Wolfe or Lorenzo Booker as insurance.

QB: I don't see Holcomb sticking. Buffalo wanted to move his cap liability ($3.3M). It will be decidedly less for the Eagles ($1.35M). If the Eagles take a QB on day 2 Holcomb will probably be cut.

TE: This is the most interesting position of all. The Eagles have done an excellent job of locking up young talent at a reasonable price. The lack of a contract extension to Smith tells me that the Eagles don't regard him as highly as the fans do. Recent success with the running game also leads me to believe that the Eagles might be willing to sacrifice a little speed at this position for a litle more strength. How would people feel about draughting Zach Miller in the 2nd and trading Smith for a pick? I expect an arguement on this one.

BTW - All-in-all a great post.
Steegles46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good gravy people, he's English. Let him use the spelling with which he's accustomed. It isn't like he's using a different language or is making it confusing. I myself have spent so much time in British-spelling areas that I frequently use the letter 's' where in America people use the letter 'z'. For example, as in apologise.

I love the analysis idea marky_b27, when I get more free time I'll type up a response and an analysis worthy of this thread.

EDIT: babyatemydingo - Laughing
gothman25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpieco wrote:
no i didn't, and there's no need to be rude and clutter the post with nonsense.

also, this game is played in the US, so why use the Old English spelling? It's not up for debate. It's offense and defense, regardless.

You wish to castigate me for being rude, then you go about doing the very thing you wish to castigate me for: rudeness. Calling my comment "nonsense" is not only illogical (it's perfect sensible: you made a remark commenting on something that was already explained; therefore, by your criteria, your 2nd comment is the one cluttering this post), it's also just as rude as you claim mine to be. So, not only are you rude, you're a hypocrite as well.

Last edited by gothman25 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steegles46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's drop this. It is a correct spelling for his native country, and there's no problem with it here. Let's not derail a good thread with this. Thanks.
stevec0008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisonesforyou wrote:
Congratulations, I literally made this account for one sole purpose, to tell you how much of a [inappropriate/removed] you are. Just because people hold up letter "D"'s with fences next to them does not mean that it is spelled as such. Thank you and this will be my one and only post...ever.

This one is for you marky boy.
wow
your real mature
Great post mark Screw the people who are dissing you, spelling is over-rated
Awsome post,i agree with alot of it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steegles46 wrote:
Let's drop this. It is a correct spelling for his native country, and there's no problem with it here. Let's not derail a good thread with this. Thanks.

You're right again, Steegles. Very well. Marky_b27, I think your analysis is actually dead on, and is one of the most cogent ones I've seen in awhile. Good job!
mpieco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you clearly used a thesarus for castigate, haha.

also, your post was nonsense because it had nothing to do with the original idea of the thread. I at least commented on Feeley being the "QB of the future" in my post. You just rudely retorted to mine.

Also, in response to Moats' trade value, I doubt we could get much more than a 6th rounder for him at this point. I hate his running style, despite how much fun it is to look at (the damn arm flailing all over the place), and he doesn't come close to the skillset of Westbrook.
gothman25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpieco wrote:
First of all, you clearly used a thesarus for castigate, haha.

also, your post was nonsense because it had nothing to do with the original idea of the thread. I at least commented on Feeley being the "QB of the future" in my post. You just rudely retorted to mine.

Also, in response to Moats' trade value, I doubt we could get much more than a 6th rounder for him at this point. I hate his running style, despite how much fun it is to look at (the damn arm flailing all over the place), and he doesn't come close to the skillset of Westbrook.

First of all, you clearly have a very limited vocabulary, and by your (seeming) use of the fallacy of composition, you illogically reasoned that everyone else does as well.

Again, if my post was nonsense, then at least half of yours was as well. You complaining about my "nonsense" is the "pot" calling the "kettle" black, since you're the one who first commented on something that had nothing to do with the thread.

However, I will agree with you on Moats. His trade value is not very high, and he seems to have lost all confidence in ANY abilities he might have once had.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: