You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

welcome your new co-MODERATOR
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: welcome your new co-MODERATOR Reply with quote

you guys are growing like crazy in here so we're adding a second co-mod to the PIT forum.

none other than....

Irish11.

congrats, all of you. post on!

Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.
skywlker32

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats irish

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Irish 11. I needed the help, so thank you for coming on to help me out. You da man!

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Irish11!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn man congrats on this you deserved it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Irish!!
"We're coming from everywhere. We play with 15 guys in the huddle. We have guys parachuting from airplanes, fans coming from out of the stands to help us go after people." - Kevin Greene on the Steelers' defense
porterfarrior55

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats irish.

^props to saintsfan^
azazaz7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on tripling your portfolio in the last day. You definitely deserved it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf ddnt pick me come on??? lol just playin congrats and good luck irish

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats irish... well deserved
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys... I'm not the type to over-moderate or try to change things in a forum that works.

One thing I am going to do is crackdown on the cursing and "pseudo-cursing." A lot of us have lapsed into some bad habits regarding the basic rules of the site, and I want to get back to basics. I really don't like having to edit posts, so I'm going to ask that you remember that cursing, even using words that are misspelled to circumvent the forum filters, is against the rules.

As a last note, I'm going to lift something that Steegles46 posted in the Eagles forum. Just substitute "Steelers" where ever he says "Eagles" and "B7B" and myself where ever he mentions their mods. Some of the issues they've had in their forum are cropping up here as well, so I thought it was a very timely topic.

Thanks for the warm words guys.

Steegles46 wrote:
Okay, I was going to post something about this, and this seems like as good a place as any.

There are things we as posters can do to elevate the level of debate on this forum. We each have the ability to keep this forum running smooth. None of these are really in the rules, but are strongly encouraged to make this a better place. While I'll break this up, I would like everyone to bear with me and please read all of this:

New Posters
First, welcome to the forum! You've joined one of the most popular NFL sites on the internet. Realise that you're entering a new environment filled with people who have become accustomed to a certain style of forum activity. It is indeed hard to assimilate yourself to these customs, and often the more established posters will have a short fuse with you. It's okay. Don't be discouraged! Everyone has problems adjusting, and getting into the style and knowledgeable depth of posting that is generally expected here. It comes with practice, and it comes with time.

New posters are the real life-blood of this site. It keeps it fresh, it keeps posters here from group-think (ex. - "Nice draft, but we should draft this guy instead of that guy"). New ideas encourage new posters, which encourages even newer ideas and newer posters. This is part of what is making this site so popular. You, the new poster, chose to come here and be a part of the community for a reason. Stick with it! Don't let the rough times get you down. Don't be afraid to ask questions (ex. - "Why all the interest in getting a DE early in the draft when we have 5?"). Like the cliche' says, "Knowledge is power!"

That said, there are a few things you can do to help this process. First, I recommend posting in the Introduce Yourself Thread so that the posters of this site can get to know you. You'd be surprised how posters knowing that you're from New Jersey, or that your favorite Eagle is Brian Westbrook encourages friendliness. It's the easiest way to get off on a good start. If you aren't sure of what to say, scroll back and breeze through a couple of the earlier introductions. In fact, do it anyway to get to know your fellow posters.

Perhaps most importantly, your next step is to carefully read through two posts specifically designed to help you get acquainted with how things are expected to be done here: the Forum Rules Thread and A Helpful Guide to New Posters. The first gives you the absolute necessities. These are the rules that if you break you will be punished. The second is a tool that you can use to help integrate yourself with the more established posters here. For instance, when new here look back through two or three pages of topics to make sure you aren't starting something that isn't new. As you visit more frequently, you'll find that you only have to look through topics with new posts to do this. Starting a thread to talk about Lawrence Maroney may be new to you, but we may have recently talked about him before you came aboard. Adding to a topic instead of starting a redundant one will go a long way to getting the older posters here to view you in a positive light.

Old Posters
Before flying off the handle, remember two things: 1) The rules, and 2) How you felt and how you acted when you were new. Hardly anyone gets off to a flying start here. That's just the nature of things. It takes time to integrate oneself to the natural flow of things here, so please be patient. Also, try to post not in a punishing way, but in a helpful way. This was something I had to get used to as well. Instead of saying, "This topic is pointless!" say something more constructive like, "Hey, I see you're new here. Part of the forum rules here is that we try to keep the discussions to the topics of the forum. This would make a good post <other forum>." See how much more positive that sounds? It also helps the other poster learn, and keeps away from confrontations that make all parties look bad and leads to trouble (and mod-ing).

Another helpful thing to remember is that you are an established poster in a community. When a community isolates itself (current Eagles posters posting in the Eagles forum with few outside opinions) it begins to have group-think. This can be a good thing if the concensus is correct, but much of what is discussed here is all speculation, and therfore group-think isn't necessarily a good thing. You may prefer John Wendling in the second round for the Eagles. That's fine. But when a poster has Aaron Rouse in the second, remember that it's all speculation and opinion. Instead of saying "I don't like Rouse, pick Wendling in the second," or "I'd prefer Wendling instead of Rouse," say something like "I see that you prefer Rouse. Why is that?" or "I chose Wendling instead of Rouse because..." See how the latter statements encourage a high-level debate, whereas the former statements encourage arguments?

Newer posters may not be as acquainted with the team as you are. I remember when I joined, I thought I knew almost everything there is to know about the Eagles. I certainly knew more than the average fan, but when I came here I was amazed at the depth and breadth of knowledge of the posters here. I've learned a lot. I've learned how the front office truly views draft needs. I've had debates here that astonish (and confuse Wink ) my friends when I relate it to them later. Please remember that there is a learning curve for new posters. If they're curt or just seem short-sighted, realise that most likely there are levels of knowledge they haven't obtained yet. Instead of sniping, make an attempt to teach them. Above all, do not allow yourself to get angry or heated enough that you do something that violates the rules.

All Posters
The most important thing to remember is that we all have differing opinions, but we're all here for the same reason: to talk Eagles football. If another poster says something that angers you, don't allow yourself to type something in anger. Walk away from the computer, view other websites for a while, look up Eagles statistics to provide for an informed rebuttle. You'd be surprised how many arguments break out even though neither poster was looking for it. Normally it occurs when both posters make back-and-forth increasingly curt or snip-like comments. Before either of them knows it, their anger overflows and they're in a heated argument that requires mod attention.

If anyone is blatantly breaking the rules, do not respond to them. Do not give them the satisfaction. If a troller enters the forums, the Webmaster will ban him and any poster that responds in kind. Please, instead PM either myself, Phreak, or if neither of us are online, a global mod (vike daddy, GRRLacher, HiFi, S.A.cowboyfan) and it will be dealt with. We're here to help anyone with their questions and to keep the forums a serene environment for debate.

Thank you all for reading this. The Eagles forum is growing at a fast rate (we finally broke the top ten forums list!), and that means a lot of new posters. Let's make the integration as smooth as possible.
RangerD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
One thing I am going to do is crackdown on the cursing and "pseudo-cursing.

gosh darn it Laughing
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:
One thing I am going to do is crackdown on the cursing and "pseudo-cursing.

gosh darn it Laughing

REPORTED!!!

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats to everyone, Irish especially! If we got another mod, we must be growing really fast!

I knew the post count was through the roof~!

keep it up
twonder23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Irish!

I have a question, and it may be a dumb one, but I'm asking because I don't know. Do forum moderators get paid for their services or is it done on a volunteer basis?

I have always wondered, but never really saw a spot to ask until now. It seems for the amount of work/constant monitoring it takes them to do that there should be some type of compensation involved, but I really wasn't sure. If anyone has an answer, I'd appreciate it because I've always been curious.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: