You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons swap picks with Texans - Jamaal Anderson for us?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treat88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
J. Anderson is all upside and seems to be a project similar to M. Williams from the Texans. Everybody is looking for the next J. Peppers and these guys aren't even close. J. Anderson only had one good year and has very little starting experience. While his numbers are great I don't think he's worth trading up for. I've thought before that maybe he'd could of been a R. Seymour type. But he could end up be a one trick pony and for the money the Steelers have to dish out to get him wouldn't be worth it.

2006 10th pick Matt Leinart got six-year, $50.8 million that's a lot of money to pay a guy who's only going to be a situational player.

You're not trading up if you think he's a situational player - (ok, he might be situational in 2007) - you're drafting him to be the cornerstone of your defense for the next 5, 10 years.

I mean, if the Steelers basically agree with you, then they'll sit tight at 15 and see what happens...If they think J Anderson is a stud, they'll have no problem trading up, just like they've done in the past....

As for the money - first off, Leinart's contract isn't the best comparison since he's a QB...second, the guy you take at 15 isn't exactly cheap to sign either.

Agreed Ranger. If the Steelers move up for a player, Anderson or otherwise, you can bet they feel strongly he will be starting sooner rather than later.

I think Anderson is one of the few elite players in this draft and would be very excited if we landed him, but it is a crap shoot, and I'm more likely to be wrong than right (as are we all).

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
J. Anderson is all upside and seems to be a project similar to M. Williams from the Texans. Everybody is looking for the next J. Peppers and these guys aren't even close. J. Anderson only had one good year and has very little starting experience. While his numbers are great I don't think he's worth trading up for. I've thought before that maybe he'd could of been a R. Seymour type. But he could end up be a one trick pony and for the money the Steelers have to dish out to get him wouldn't be worth it.

2006 10th pick Matt Leinart got six-year, $50.8 million that's a lot of money to pay a guy who's only going to be a situational player.

You're not trading up if you think he's a situational player - (ok, he might be situational in 2007) - you're drafting him to be the cornerstone of your defense for the next 5, 10 years.

I mean, if the Steelers basically agree with you, then they'll sit tight at 15 and see what happens...If they think J Anderson is a stud, they'll have no problem trading up, just like they've done in the past....

As for the money - first off, Leinart's contract isn't the best comparison since he's a QB...second, the guy you take at 15 isn't exactly cheap to sign either.

So when the Steelers traded up to get Troy he didn't sit. All I'm saying is that in a conventional 3-4 set Anderson talent would be wasted on 1st and second down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a GM mock draft on here a while back (month or better probably) and Jamaal Anderson ended up being my pick. I think we had the 17th pick there, as it was a lottery-type draft. I felt he was the BPA, and I personally consider him a guy who could be an elite 3-4 DE. If you have a play-maker at DE, even if it is the 3-4, it would still help out your pass rush and overall defense immensely. I'd prefer we go with a LB in the 1st though, especially after we resigned Smith and Keisel is already under contract long-term, plus we lost Porter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texans moved back to get better value for Levi Brown. There's no way they pass on him if he's on the board. If they do, kick them out of the NFL.
porterfarrior55

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hoopester wrote:
The Texans moved back to get better value for Levi Brown. There's no way they pass on him if he's on the board. If they do, kick them out of the NFL.

Thats defienty what they should do. It doesn't matter if you have Marino back there if he's getting sacked 50 times a year you're not gonna have a very good passing game.

^props to saintsfan^
BigBen7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porterfarrior55 wrote:
Thats defienty what they should do. It doesn't matter if you have Marino back there if he's getting sacked 50 times a year you're not gonna have a very good passing game.

Or Offense in general.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hoopester wrote:

From my understanding the Falcons moved up to to get in front of Miami for Levi Brown. Supposedly Petrino is revamping the blocking scheme from zone to whatever he uses and the current players dont fit well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spush wrote:
The Hoopester wrote:

From my understanding the Falcons moved up to to get in front of Miami for Levi Brown. Supposedly Petrino is revamping the blocking scheme from zone to whatever he uses and the current players dont fit well.

Well that would screw the texans. If they had an o-line they wouldn't be too bad of a team.

^props to saintsfan^
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/mockdraft.php?round=1&year=2007

They have Jamaal Anderson going 19.

I hate the Carricker pick. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

If we pass on Jamaal Anderson if he is there...I will cry.

But, I'd love if Jamaal Anderson fell like that. He'd be a Steeler.
spush

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So when the Steelers traded up to get Troy he didn't sit. All I'm saying is that in a conventional 3-4 set Anderson talent would be wasted on 1st and second down.

Yeah, but if you remember Troy played kind of sparingly that year. His effort was less than desired and it didnt look like he'd ever pick up the game of pro football.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh heres a song
For you my dear
We finished 8-8 last year
And unless you wanna suck again
We need someone who can come right in
We have no pass rush
We won't bring em down
And our CBs will give up touchdowns
Farrior and Foote won't be benched
They are firmly entrenched
So at the very best he'd participate
Sometime in 2008
No Patrick Willis, I'll tell you why...
RIGHT NOW, we need an impact guy

clever
rather have blalock
rant67

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
I wonder who the Texans are looking at with pick #10? I wonder if they'd drop down to #15?
Adrain Peterson is a guy the Texans cant pass on, they have so many problems at RB and Ron Dayne altough i like him alot he is not he future all down back the texans need. After passing on Reggie Bush it will be A hard time passing on Peterson.

To always be remembered...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: